[drivingpairs] Pairs Vehicle

  • From: "susan lawson" <slawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:48:02 -0700

I've been a lurker for a while but when I saw Donna Love's request for info on
carriages I thought I should reply.  I have a pair of  13.3 hand fjords that
I've only been driving for two weeks.  I purchased a Kutzmann Feel X set up for
pairs.  It is lighter than the Uno but I thought that I might need the carriage
for single use at some point.  I do have a friend that has a Uno for her
haflinger pair and she loves it.  I just love my Feel X.  I haven't used it
fast yet since my one horse is green but my trainer who is the distributor for
Kutzmann in the southwest tried it fast and he couldn't tip it.  Both models
are very quiet, smooth and feel very stable.  While working with a trainer you
can walk back and forth from the front seat to the back.  I paid $5,950
including pole, shafts, dickie seat, pneumatic tires and shipping to my
trainer's house.  They did make some changes to the navigator hand holds on the
back.  I plan on getting the hard rubber wheels when I progress out of training
level CDE's for aproximately $850.  Then I would only use those tires for CDE
competitions but not for ADT's.

I would greatly encourage anyone looking for a single or pairs vehicle to look
at the Kutzmann.  My vehicle is a marathon carriage but they also have Spider
Phaetons, Sport Breaks, Victorias, Wagonettes etc.  The Sport Break wasn't much
more than my marathon vehicle.

I'm also getting a great synthetic harness from Yonnie for my pair.  It should
arrive any day.  I'm going to my first ADT at Training Level in two weeks but
will be going slow.

My biggest problem now is keeping the young Fjord up in the traces.  Her buddy
is more than willing to do all the work.  I will be doing more single work with
her in the new future.  I've read Hardy's suggestions but any others would be
welcome.

Susan Lawson
Chino Valley, Arizona