[drivingpairs] Re: Pairs Starting

  • From: FriesianPrDriver@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:24:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/04 3:17:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
goodhors@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Next question for pair, "Is the evener tied down?"
 Until horses/ponies can walk off smoothly TOGETHER,
 you don't want the evener working.  One animal a step
 or two behind is NOT together.   Working evener makes
 the animals work against each other, jerking at
 starts.  More work as a single, is never time wasted.  >>

OK - I have a question.  The evener straps prevent the evener from moving too
much, but allow some movement, so are you saying fix them tight so there is
little or no motion when starting the new pair?  I'm asking b/c I had this
problem with my sleigh, but I didn't even have straps, so they pretty much
could
get slapped in the hocks.  Not knowing that I needed or could use the straps, I
just put the neck collars on that I use to cross tie them while harnessing
with the coupler b/t them to keep them together.  That worked!  I really could
not understand why it was a stupid setup in my mind ;-P  Of course I don't run
into this problem with the newer carriages with separate single trees or
roller bolts.

Karen Wilkin
Star Cross Stable Friesian Horses
47 Yellowbrook Rd.