[drivingpairs] Re: Pair musings

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:04:01 -0700

With my last pair which I drove for 2 years, I didn't drive single very
much. One was quite experienced as a single, but the other was green. I
discovered that was a big mistake. When I sold the greener one after two
years of lots of pair work and driving everywhere under every imaginable
condition, he was still pretty green as a single. I was lazy, and exercising
two horses at once was easier. I have learned my lesson. Now with another
green horse in the pair, I am trying to drive them each single at least once
in between driving them as pair. I've been told that really one should drive
them twice as much single as pair, and I believe it. You can solve a lot of
problems single before they show up in the pair. And yes, then they learn
that they have to work all the time, not just go along for the ride.
JMHO,
Rachel in BC