[drivingpairs] Re: New book on rescuing horses in traumatic accidents

  • From: KNowak5170@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:43:37 EDT

Thanks so much for the link!  I just put myself on the waiting list for it.
We had to rescue one of my mares from an old cow manure lagoon this past
spring - a very scary and stinky job which required me going in as well.  Yuck,
yuck, YUCK!  Fortunately we both survived but this book would have come in real
handy.
In case anyone is wondering "how" and "why", we bought a former dairy farm,
which we are converting into a horse farm.  Removing the "infamous lagoon" is a
time consuming and expensive project ($45,000 to have someone come in and do
it).  I have it well fenced off and had one pasture that surrounded it.  Had
horses out there for 2 years without an incident (the smell alone kept them far
away).  On this particular day they were all frolicking around when one mare
decided to take a short cut down the hill.  She misjudged and crashed through
the fence.  Needless to say no horses have been pastured in that field since.
The lagoon is now about half empty and hopefully the last of the manure will
be gone this fall when we spread it on just about everyone's fields in town <
VBG>.
Karen