[drivingpairs] Re: day 2 and THANK YOU ALL...

  • From: Jeff & Ginny Pomije <vjpomije@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:38:30 -0500

Typically there are two of us available to hitch the team, my wife and
I.  So we hitch free standing, not tied to a post.  Our usual process is
to have one of us hang on to the lines while the other hitches the
horses in the order suggested below.  As we get more confident with our
team, we are from time to time tying the lines to the cart (again,
horses not tied to a post) and hitching up that way, though one of us is
either very near the lines or heading the horses.  We drive Percherons
so we are frequently at events where there are some old time horse
people around.  They are always telling us to just tie up the lines and
get your horse used to standing.

I believe you should go with the method that works best for your
situation and level of confidence in your abilities and your horses.

Jeff & Ginny
Big Black Horse
http://www.bigblackhorse.com