[drivingpairs] Re: Leaning Away from the Pole

  • From: "Don & Judy Hayes" <djthayes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:47:48 -0500

Yes, Interesting discussion! No, Lori, you certainly are not alone. I
started driving pairs about 30 years ago, with a bunch of old retired
farmers, who had been driving horses since they were kids. I have yet to
find someone that has a definitive answer to the problem.

When this happened to me, I switched sides with the ponies. It worked for
them, may not work for others.

I would NEVER use pole straps with a drop pole, or a pole that you couldn't
get the sideways pull off of the horses. Pole straps are only for fixed, or
suspended poles which are in such a position that they will only pull on the
horses when stopping or backing. And I think even that is too much. With a
neck yoke, you can adjust things so any pull is straight ahead of the horses
(normally, there are always exceptions). Most marathon vehicles do not have
a long enough pole for for pole strap usage. Hence, they get a lot more
sideways pull from the pole.

Lori, what was the comparative footing? In the indoor, was it loose enough
so they were always well in draft? How about when you got outside? Did they
start doing this on smooth, level ground? Going down grade a lot? You need
to think through when it actually started, and under what conditions.

I would suggest getting a neck yoke for that pole, then start back indoors
with them until they go smoothly again. When you get outside, use the brake
to provide a little drag on the smooth, level places, and a lot of help
downhill.

Let us know how things work out!

Don Hayes     Keep driving!