[drivingpairs] Re: Leaning Away from the Pole

  • From: "Diane Kastama" <dkastama@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:20:42 -0700

Interesting discussion.  I have a new very broke pair of horses.  And when I
bought these guys I spent 6 months driving and competing them single while I
learned about them and their personalities.  I also switch them from day to
day.  But all of a sudden the horse on the left started counter bending and
leaning to the right.  Well it turned out that the problem was the right
hand horse was not bending correctly and was leaning away from the pole.  So
diligent use of the whip to push the right horses ribs over towards the pole
and half-halting to get the right horse to bend fixed the left horse.  Also
an occasional tap on the right hand side of the left horse would also aid.
I am currently driving my single carriage with a drop pole.  While I wait
for my other carriage to be modified.  The biggest change I expect when I
get a suspended pole is that my collected trots and extensions will be much
better (more like they are single) because they won't have the weight of the
pole on their necks.  I still have so much to learn with the pair... and I
have threatned Merrie that we will have to hook her Section A's up with my
boys:-) And we would have a real interesting 4.

Diane Kastama