[drivingpairs] Harness for VSE pair?

  • From: "MARGARET TOWNSEND" <NAMGO@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "drivingpairs" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:48:05 -0700

  I would like to ask those here who drive multiple VSEs what recommendations
you would make regarding harness-
and, versatile vehicles-I am actively 'shopping' for a mini pair harness, and
would love to hear your experiences/recommendations! I have one set of pair
harness-breast collar, patent accents, breeching system where the straps go
under the belly to fasten to a ring on the end of the false martingale 'loop'
around the girth. As pair vehicles, I have both a back-to-back trap from Golden
Carriage(the harness I have was 'made' to use with this, and works just fine),
and also a buckboard, for parades and such.
  Though I don't anticipate being able to be a 'serious' CDE competitor-am too
far from competitons,too old to get fully involved, have no one to help, live
on a limited income,and honestly, am kind of reluctant to have what I do for
fun be too much work(as in all that 'spiffing up' for the dressage/presentation
portion of such competitions)-just to mention a few...however, I am one who
will do without lots of things to be able to have something I REALLY want---and
as long as I can balance that with the realities of my finances, I will 'go for
it'!
  I have given thought to getting neck collars instead of breast collars, but
wonder if I dare, given the difficulty in getting a correct fit that I read so
much about! I want this harness, BTW, to use with the buckboard, but also
possibly with a marathon-type vehicle, or at least, something light, tough, yet
comfortable, that I could trail drive, but also use for at least "fun"
marathon-type events-in other words, don't feel I need harness specifically
'pointed toward' marathon use, but more versatile? Here is where I would also
appreciate your opinions and experiences regarding vehicles, as I have outlined
above! I would like to hear thoughts about beta vs. leather,too,please!
I do love brass, but realize that stainless is probably 'better' for ease of
care-and I certainly am all for that(see above!)
  My horses are 34" and 32"; that is the size range I will stay in, as all of
my other horses, whom I might pair up to drive, are also in the 33+" to 34"
range, and very similar in body build. My 'everyday' singles harnesses are
Smuckers Lite, in russet-in use for many years now-a Smuckers Pleasure, in
black, and a Lutke fine show harness(Dale Lutke is a highly regarded maker of
patent over betathane show harness for small ponies and minis.)I like them all;
am in the process of selling the Lutke, because I am pretty much through with
the mini breed show ring. I am very fond of Smuckers, but simply can't afford a
Deluxe pairs harness from them(which I what I 'think' I would love to have!?)
  Sorry this is so long, but wanted to give everyone a good idea of where I am
'coming from'...any and all responses will be deeply appreciated-off list, if
it seems prudent, so as not to clutter things up here? My email is
NAMGO@xxxxxxx .
  Thanks to all!
  Margo Cox-Townsend