[drivingpairs] Re: Gail's story

  • From: Gail Smith <gail.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:33:42 +0000

Well, JLO...perhaps my story was a little much for the list...there was
so much more to say about it...so much huniliation. I am still
embarrassed about it and it kinda makes me cry sometimes.

U know I learnt a valuable lesson in the US working at a vet hospital in
Illinois
1) Ask questioons if u do not know, else accidents happen
2) everyone believes different things about handling horses. Don't make
assumptions about your handling abilities. Horses sometimes prove
otherwise sometime

I tried my best to remember those things at that show. Yes, I can
groom...I know how to feed. I can tack horses up, lead them
out.............my weakness was I was 1) unfit and 2) not used to team
the  harness. My inexperience with team rigging and my unfitness fuelled
the opion that i was incompetent. :o(

Yes, I with I'd seen the turn-over. The groom was 'put-out' and it was
talk on the circuit for weeks after. when I tell friends about my
experience the comments is 'oh, yes, thas the team whose groom
over-turned the vehicle in the water in Scotland and shags everything
that moves' .....LOL
The horses were fine.....far more deserving a better driver thas for
sure. The horses stood dead still......the shalft was snapped in half
and the spring on the shaft (not sure of it's name) was completely mangled.

The injured horse.....his owner was greatful to me and noticed I knew a
lot about vet science. He asked me to give the horse his shots the next
morning and approched my patron with a request for me to hold the horse
while he took his team to compete in the cones. All I did was hold the
horse and graze him..............upon his return he gave me £40 for my
troubles. I never expected that but took it as the man told me he felt i
had got a raw deal on this one. He was apologetic and said he already
had grooms for the season else he'd have helped me.

When my team returned the groom and the man's wife made snidey comments
about 'it's tough in horses, having to stand around holding them'

What really irked me was the assumption i knew nothing and continual
digs at my lack of knowledge. When I said i wanted to backstepI have a
Equine Science degree and i worked for a vet in the US for over a year.

It has put me off quite a lot. I really wanna get some exposure to
driving, My riding is crap. I had some back accidents showjumping and
want to drive instead. I feel better behind reins then on a horse's back

Afterward i found out that show organisers had paid for unhappy grooms
to be shipped home because the man i was a guest of had upset them and
treated them badly

I did not mind helping out. That was why i went but it became
unreasonable. Expecting to do everything classed as dirty work while the
actual groom got to do the good stuff.

As far as knowledge, yes I have an opinion but I certainly do not
inflict it on people. People treat their horses differently and i
respect that. for example those poeple allowed the horses to drink 2
buckets of water after the marathon. I do not believe that is what i
would do with my own horses but i guess it works for some. To me that is
an opinion, not throwing knowledge around. The right way is not always
right for everyone. I would never treat people's horses in a way they
did not believe was correct, I might state my opinion and discuss
it...but i would never expect people to change their values because of me.

Essentially i do not think those people are very nice. They may succeed
in team driving......but if they do....it'd be the horses. Money
sometimes does make a difference. #

Gail