[drivingpairs] Driving a Gelding and Mare

  • From: Lorraine Lawler <buggygal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:09:31 -0500

Could I have some advice from the list about driving a gelding and
mare.  I have a 12 year old experienced single and pair gelding.  I'm
in the market for a horse to pair with him.  I've mostly been looking
at geldings, but if the perfect "gelding-acting mare" came along, are
there any inherent problems in driving a gelding and mare
together?  If the mare is trained to drive single, can I assume that
she will pair with the gelding (assuming a normal get to know each
other period)?  What happens when she goes in heat?  I've owned one
mare many, many years ago.  Do owners put their mares on the
regulation type meds that are available?

I'd appreciate any horror stories, good stories, tips and general advice.

Thanks  - Lorraine