[drivingpairs] Re: Carriage Purchase Do's and Don't

  • From: "Robert & Helen Tolmach" <rtolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:43:34 -0400

I just wrote a reply to a query regarding the Bird in Hand Flyer.
However,  wife and I just had an experience pair driving the  Flyer's
successor, the Bird in Hand Eagle,  that warrants a warning to all the
owners of this very excellent vehicle.  The problem arose, not from any
inherent fault of the Eagle, but from my own ignorance.
The Eagle's pole is supported by a heavy spring plus chain from the forward
base of the box to the rear of the pole.
In my mistaken belief that the pole was too heavy for the necks of my 15.1
hh Morgans, I shortened the chain so that the forward end of the pole rested
well off the ground - at about the level of the mid shoulders.  Never paid
attention to that fact that when I made a full 90 degree turn backing the
carriage into the barn by hand, that the yoke end of the pole forcibly rose
to about 6 1/2 from the ground.  Couple of weeks ago we were driving on our
community property,  started to make  a 360 deg left turn at a walk, and in
relatively slow motion, the carriage turned over to lie on its left side.
No damage to horses.  Slightly bent single tree bolts (Jim Dingman -I'll
have to admit they were #3s) was the only damage to the carriage.  Whip and
groom had some contusions and scrapes.  We were able to rehitch the horse
and drive home
For the life of us, we couldn't figure out what happened.  There was no rock
or root nor hillock that could have tipped us but again, putting the Eagle
away in the barn, making that full 90 deg turn and the pole rising up to 6'
off the ground, the answer was apparent. Increased pressure on that heavy
support spring with a sharp turn, gave the rear end of the pole no place
else to go but UP! and one can see what that kind of leverage did to the
other end which is now at 90 degrees to the carriage.  Beautiful lever
action - and over she went!
We'd driven the carriage many times as a single with shafts with no problem.
But for those of you who have a spring supported pole, I suggest you insure
that the pole is supported,  if at all,  no more than a foot and a half or
two feet off the ground unless you have an arrangement to allow the carriage
end of the spring to slide side to side on  some sort of rod.
Our other pair carriage (Pacific Ultra Lite) has a pole which is unsupported
and our beasties don't seem to mind that.  Maybe that's the best way to go.
Bob T  Kanapaha Morgans