[drivingpairs] Re: CDE Competition Ages

  • From: "Dana Moore" <dannabe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:44:43 -0700

On the subject of horses started too young,  I have participated in most
disciplines of riding.  My last before driving were reining horses.   I am
appalled at what they do to these poor babies at such a young age.  By the
time they are 3 they are doing things that upper level dressage horses are
doing after years of training and development.   I bought a son of Hollywood
Dunit for a song because he was 3 1/2 and barely saddle broke.  He was 2
years behind in training to be a futurity horse, so nobody wanted him.
Their loss, my fortune.  After 3 years of playing with the reining on a low
key level and deicided the people are only in it for the big bucks at the
horses expense.  Gotta spin a little faster and slide a little longer.  How
can immature joints and bone stand this kind of abuse.  There is something
wrong in the sport when  it is common practice to inject hocks on 3 year
olds.  I left the sport because the people weren't very nice.  That's when I
was introduced to the driving world.  Of all the different disciplines I've
participated in, the driving world has the nicest people.  I think people
that drive enjoy their horses more than anyone else.  And I think the horses
enjoy pleasure driving more too. Oh by the way,  my Hollywood Dunit reiner
was a great combined driving driving horse.  I lost him last year to colic
but not before we competed 3 succesful years in driving.  He's now buried at
Goree Farms, the home of the Arizona CDE, watching on as others enjoy the
pleasures of driving.

Enjoying driving in Arizona.
Dana