[drivingpairs] Re: Big Molly

  • From: koenenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:04:57 -0800

Thanks to Hardy and Helen for the comments.  I sent a quick email to Helen
explaining that I think the previous owner spoiled her LOTS and it's not that
she can't whoa sooner it's that she really doesn't want to.  She would rather
keep walking and you have to *MAKE* her stop.  The reason I'm worried about
hooking her up until we have that fixed.....I'd hate to be in a cart or behind
a log and have her decide that she'd rather not stop, thank you very much! I
also think the previous owner didn't have trouble with this because she was
hooked into a team with her sister, who was the boss and Katie has a GREAT
whoa.  So Beulah whoaed because Katie did.  Now that Beulah is single and will
be the leader? when paired she's trying her own set of rules.

Right now I'm riding her in an Egg Butt and I think I'm going to create a hard
mouth on her if I keep having to yard on her to get her to stop.  (She's light
enough in the turns and everything else, just that darn whoa!) My instructor
suggested the Kimberwick for that little extra leverage that will help her
understand that I mean business when I ask for a whoa.  Once she's listening I
can go back to an easier bit or stay with the Kimberwick.  It's not a harsh bit
but should get her to pay a little more attention to me.

Again, all feedback appreciated.
Cindy