[donspatch] 2007-07-15

  • From: "Don Crowder" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:52:39 -0500

Don's Patch #74 from http://www.don-guitar.com  July 15, 2007

First word, from Don:

Last year MS Update said they had a new sound card driver
for my computer so I let them install it and for months I had
no sound.  I eventually fixed it but I can't remember what it
took.  Last week MS Update said they had a new sound
card driver for me and I figured "what the heck, they'll have
debugged the silly thing my now".  *sigh*  Wrong.
Now I have no sound again.  It's not always a good idea
to trust microsoft.  Heck, google the words
trust microsoft
and see for yourself.  It's scary.  So, what do I do now?
I don't know, I'll think about it for a few days and then
decide.  It may just be time for me to switch to Linux
full time.  Or else I'll wus-out and reinstall Windows.
*shrug*

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess

Section One by Don.

We do live in interesting times don't we?
http://www.xdude.com/paradox.htm

One of these is a spoof (look for the disclaimer).
http://city-mankato.us/
http://www.ci.mankato.mn.us/

HTML and web development (WebDev) learning resources.
http://www.htmlite.com/
http://www.echoecho.com/school.htm
http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/index.htm
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
http://www.javascriptmall.com/jsc/

Helping gardeners in Southern California learn how to attract and
nurture wildlife in their own yards.   http://www.wildscaping.com/

I guess this site, featuring news about space and man's explorations
thereof, should have gone in the media section but then you might
have missed it.   http://spacespin.org/

Eerie (paranormal) Investigations.   http://www.eerieinvestigations.com/

A social networking site for intelligent young people.
http://www.wapda.com/

A large network of literary sites dedicated to exploring twentieth
century writers.   http://www.themodernword.com/themodword.cfm

It's been a long time since I last mentioned the CIA World Factbook
(in issue #30) so it's past time I mentioned it again.  Very cool.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

This site, which looks to me like a private-sector version of the
Peace Corps,    http://www.interaction.org/  got me started on
a search for other alternatives to the peace corps.  I was knocked
out by the sheer number of these organizations.
The "real thing":   http://www.peacecorps.gov/
Alternatives:   http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org
http://www.spw.org/
http://www.globeaware.org/
http://www.villagevolunteers.org/
http://www.globalvolunteers.org/
http://www.idealist.org/
http://www.cityyear.org/
http://www.worldteach.org/
http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutfellowsprogram/
http://uniteforsight.org/intl_volunteer/
http://www.unitedplanet.org/quest.html
http://www.mercycorps.org/
http://www.dosomething.org/
http://www.volunteersolutions.org/
http://us.oneworld.net/
http://www.bbbs.org/
http://www.bethecause.org/
http://www.standupforkids.org/
http://www.experiencecorps.org/
http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/
http://www.universalgiving.org/volunteer/
http://www.worldendeavors.com/Volunteer.cfm
http://www.usgs.gov/volunteer/
http://www.goabroad.com/
Related sites (in one way or another) worthy of mention.
http://www.rpcv.org/
http://pointsoflight.org/
http://cosmoseducation.org/
http://www.energizeinc.com/index.html
http://www.iave.org/
http://www.interaction.org/

The Peace Corps also has a kid's site.
http://www.peacecorps.gov/kids/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

Have a great beard?  Why not compete for a world
title and show your patriotism, too?
http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

A full-featured editor for HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS,
JavaScript, PHP and other text file types.
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Americanisms: words uniquely American in origin.
http://www.epodunk.com/americanisms.html

Google accessible web search for the visually impaired.
http://labs.google.com/accessible/

Tips, tools and tutorials on Java.
http://javaboutique.internet.com/

Another "scientist of conscience"; Leo Szilard.
http://www.dannen.com/szilard.html

Too cute to resist, click on one frog at a time.
http://www.enature.com/sitenav/boyzindapond.asp

The study of theories of decision.  http://www.sjdm.org/

Explore the Tree of Life, an awesome site.
http://www.tolweb.org/tree/

Trees are good, we know this.
http://www.treesaregood.com/Home.aspx

It looks like everything about food
is here.   http://www.foodsubs.com/

The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)'s mission is "To
lead the World Wide Web to its full potential by
developing protocols and guidelines that ensure
long-term growth for the Web."  Although some feel
that the term "standards" equates to "restrictions",
the reverse is true.  Making one set of standards
applicable to all means accessibility for all, and
a truly free web.   http://www.w3.org/Consortium/

Regulate the volume on your MP3s.
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Clear answers for common questions.
http://www.wisegeek.com/home.htm

Do it yourself with this how-to library.
http://www.acmehowto.com/

Articles on many subjects.   http://www.suite101.com/

Until the widespread use of antibiotics in the 1940s,
TB was a feared and mysterious malady.  Once germ theory
was accepted, victims were sent to a sanatorium to recover
their health.  Here's a very good site that tells about
it, with an excellent section called "TB History".
http://www.lung.ca/tb/index.html

The classic (1918) Gray's Anatomy online.
http://www.bartleby.com/107/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 393.

This issue's collection of news,
magazine, and/or informational
sites (chosen for maximum
diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.buzzle.com/
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/
http://www.tampabay.com/
http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/
http://www.anti.com/home.php
http://antiwar.com/
http://www.nobeliefs.com/index.htm
http://vos.ucsb.edu/index.asp
http://www.wfmu.org/
http://www.nowpublic.com/
http://www.wn.com/
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/
http://www.techamok.com/

Section Three by Don.

Whether you love her or hate her, you've got to
admit Rachael Ray is quite a celebrity.
http://www.rachaelray.com/
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_Ray
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/
http://www.rachael-ray.org/
http://naomileibowitz.com/projects/rray/index.html
http://community.livejournal.com/rachael_ray_sux/

Captains Class Frigates were unique to the British Navy in
WWII but where manufactures in the United States.
http://www.captainclassfrigates.co.uk/index_1.html

Back in the 1990's, when the web was a new thing, there were all
sorts of places on the web where you could get a costless pop3
email account.  What's pop3?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop3
In essence, it's an email account you can check with an "email client".
What's an email client?    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client
It's a software application, like Outlook Express.  A lot of folks don't
quite get the distinction between pop3 email and web based email
but it's really very simple.  When you use web based email you go
to the provider's website and login to handle your email on their
computer.  With pop3 access the email is downloaded from the
provider's computer to your computer whenever you check your
email.  It's normally deleted from the provider's computer when
it's downloaded to your computer.  That means you don't have to
be online to read the email once you've picked it up and you can
also write new email without being online.  When you don't use
a browser to login to the provider's account that means you don't
see the advertising which is their principal source of income.
So there's not a lot of financial incentive for companies to offer
costless pop3 accounts.  By the turn of the century any new
pop3 account had a fee attached.  Then Google threw a wrench
in the works by offering costless pop3 accounts.  Initially, they
were only available by invitation which, I believe, was simply a
way of regulating the growth of their email system while they
built sufficient infrastructure to handle the demand.  By now,
anyone can get a pop3 account from gmail just by filling out
the application.   http://mail.google.com/mail/signup
I don't know whether or not it was because gmail set a
precedent but there are once again many companies offering
costless pop3 accounts (some of them append ads to the
mail you send but they are without cost to you).
http://www.bluebottle.com/
http://lavabit.com/
http://www.safe-mail.net/
http://www.vfemail.net/
http://pop3.clowt.com/
http://www1.inmail24.com/
http://www.icmail.net/
IMAP is a relatively new sort of email handling that I
believe will ultimately be "the way to go".
http://www.imap.org/
Fastmail offer costless IMAP service.   http://fastmail.fm/

Here's another good one you might have missed if I'd listed
it in the media section.   http://media.arcus.org/index.php

What's cooler than recycling?  Freecycling.
http://www.freecycle.org/

What would you like to learn today?
http://www.learnthat.com/
http://www.functionx.com/
http://www.baycongroup.com/index.htm
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/index.html
http://www.horstmann.com/bigj/help/
http://www.relisoft.com/win32/index.htm
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
http://www.vividmachines.com/shellcode/shellcode.html

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>>these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

In many places in the west, many homes were
made of sod.   http://sodhouse.notlong.com

This is a commercial site, but I've included it because
it's a great idea.  A sod house, built and maintained as
a historical exhibit and run as a bed and breakfast.
It's an attractive design as well.
http://www.sodhouse.org/

Where are these stars now?
http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn.html

Who was your Backyard Bodhisattva?
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/219/story_21926_1.html

The WWW Virtual Library.   http://vlib.org/

A video library that lets you view and show what
you know.   http://www.knowitallvideo.com/index.html

A cool old song is a cool new video.
http://istanbulnot.notlong.com

A collection of Joan (Zen parables) on a spare, clean
and restful site.   The ability to select CSS styles is
worthwhile, too.    http://www.nozen.com/index.htm

The term "alternative lifestyle" has gained certain
implications lately.  Fact is, there are many unusual
lifestyles, and some of them are fascinating.
Sailing the seas.   http://www.ravencruise.com/index.htm
Nomads.   http://www.nomadlife.com/
In the Ice.   http://www.io.com/~pml/welcome.html
Chef's life.   http://chefslife.notlong.com
Rig Life.   http://riglife.notlong.com
Lighthouse.   http://lighthouse.cc/bullocks/history.html
Longer life.   http://www.calorierestriction.org/
The Amish.   http://www.amish-heartland.com/
Graveyard shift.   http://thirdshift.notlong.com

For those who can't get enough of Woody Allen.
http://www.woodyallenmovies.com/

End of Section Four.

Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments,
suggestions, or criticism.
The form doesn't access
your email client (it's a CGI
form), so your privacy is
assured.

If you know of a website that
would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass
it on via our online
feedback form (link above).

Section Five by Don.

Old software on new computers.   http://www.emulators.com/

The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.
http://www.zefhemel.com/

Now that we're each using two computers, sooner or later I'll have
to spend some time on this site.   http://www.homenethelp.com/
or maybe this one,  the computer technology documentation project.
http://www.comptechdoc.org/

The literature & culture of the American 1950s.
http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/50s/home.html

Digital drawing toys.
http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/java/Kali/program.html
http://www.math.lsu.edu/~verrill/wallpaper/
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Hgb/12844

You can use the MSN Messenger, AIM, Yahoo IM and ICQ IM
or you can get any of several apps which work on all of them.
http://pidgin.im/pidgin/home/
http://www.miranda-im.org/
http://www.interactiveni.com/imsite/imfreeware.htm
http://sim-im.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://planeta.sourceforge.net/
Or you can get away from proprietary services altogether
and use a jabber client.
http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml
http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/
(several of the multi-protocol clients above are also
jabber compatible)

Interesting photo galleries   http://photos.ivory.org/
and a small, eclectic collection of costless apps.
http://www.ivory.org/oldwebsite/Default.htm

A good U.S. History site.   http://www.ushistory.org/

Fonts anyone?   http://www.fontgarden.com/

A new take on bricks.   http://www.boontwerpt.nl/products/brick.htm

New takes on all sorts of things.   http://www.designspotter.com/

ArtMoco.   http://mocoloco.com/
I like the one labeled "Spirit Level".
http://mocoloco.com/art/archives/001574.php

Strange and sometimes tacky things.   http://www.popgadget.net/

Pedro, of Seville, Spain is quite the wizard with a scroll saw.
http://www.finescrollsaw.com/index.htm

Combination website and photoblog of a self professed mad
scientist.   http://www.mabuse.de/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine
are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also
available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Tips on web page design, HTML and graphics.
http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/

I need this song like a drug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnvSQuv-H4

Coral is necessary, and it's going away.  Can anything
be done?   http://coralconserve.notlong.com

Chewbacca.  Haven't you always wondered about the man
behind the mask?  http://www.petermayhew.com/main1.html

The cure for the common mom.
http://www.totalmom.com/index.html

Mike Stanfill, creator of the "Infinite Cat Project" is
an infinitely talented artist and web presence.
http://www.privatehand.com/index.html

Have a hankering for Lipton Onion Soup Dip
and fishnet stockings?  Me, too!
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/index.htm

Feel smart again, with Mental Floss.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/trivia/facts/

I wish I could be a real Parrothead, but as Don says,
"I quit school 'cause they had recess.  I don't play."
Ah, well, one can dream.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrotheads

OK, Rollerderby is one of those "alternative"
sports, but check out this awesome logo.
http://www.azrollerderby.com/

Lost something? Found something?  Go here for help.
http://www.thefoundbin.com/

The USDA.   http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome

Accessible website design tips.
http://www.accessibility101.org.uk/index.htm

The museum of science, art and human perception.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/default.html

I especially loved the Chocolate page.
http://chocdreams.notlong.com

Featuring the forgotten.
http://www.urbanatrophy.com/index.php

Now the true story of Beans-Around-The-World.
http://www.beans-around-the-world.com/beans3.html

You do know beans.   http://www.beanbible.com/

End of Section Six.

Websites everyone should know
about.  These aren't sponsors,
they're the best of Internet
publications and we highly
recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

The Linux Corner.

On our homemade, eight-foot computer desk Lisa and I each have
a Windows computer and a Linux computer.  We each have a KVM
switch that permits our two computers to use the same monitor, mouse
and keyboard.  Our Linux computers were used.  Her's, a lucky find,
cost us nothing and mine was less than $50.  The two KVM switches
were about $40 (which includes shipping charges) and our Operating
System of choice, Debian Etch, was totally free.  Our Linux adventure
began in February of 2006.  We've had fun, learned some new things,
made lots of new friends and when Microsoft "pulls the plug" on our
Windows Operating systems we won't be forced to buy Vista; We'll
just install Linux and keep right on computing.  Here's a few links
to useful and/or interesting Linux resources.

Here's a very interesting two-minute Vista installation from someone
who's clearly less than happy with the folks at Microsoft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

A Linux help site from a young man named Winfield.
http://www.geocities.com/linuxnewbiesite/

A Linux resource for advanced users.   http://www.freeos.com/

A beginners guide to the Unix and Linux operating system. Eight
simple tutorials which cover the basics of UNIX / Linux commands.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

A very nice Linux news and information site.
http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/

James Crawford's blog contains a lot of Linux information.
http://www.triedit.org/

NimbleX looks like an interesting live CD in its own right but they
offer something else which I think is very exciting.  How about
a "roll your own" Linux live CD?  No kidding, check it out!
http://nimblex.net/

Zim, a desktop wiki and outliner, could be a useful addition to
your desktop Linux machine.
http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus/projects/zim/

Here are top ten Linux distros, for this week, from
http://www.distrowatch.com  (based on public interest).
1.   http://www.pclinuxos.com/
2.   http://www.ubuntu.com/
3.   http://www.opensuse.org/
4.   http://fedoraproject.org/
5.   http://www.mepis.org/
6.   http://www.slackware.com/
7.   http://linuxmint.com/
8.   http://www.debian.org/
9.   http://www.elivecd.org/
10. http://www.zenwalk.org/

A carefully selected set of Linux live CDs can show you what's
available and go a long way towards helping you decide which
version of Linux you like best.  I tried to find such a collection
and couldn't so I contacted OSDisk.com and, at my request,
they put together what I think is the perfect collection of Linux
live CDs.  I named it the "Serious Sampler Pack".
http://SeriousSampler.notlong.com
Editor's Note:  Yes, it does cost something but the price is very
reasonable and no, I'm not getting a commission.  I just persuaded
them to offer something I couldn't find anywhere else.

A Little Humor.

http://www.funny-poems.co.uk/kids/

Telling your co-workers goodbye with style.
http://www.chriskula.com/2005/08/farewell-email.html

Tips for This Issue.

Have you ever wanted to customize the "Send to" menu on
your Windows machine?  Well you can.  Here's how:

By default, the Send To menu contains floppy disk drives, mail and fax
recipients, and your Briefcase. To add a destination to the Send To
menu, add a shortcut to the Windows\SendTo folder.  To do so,
follow these steps:

Click the Start button, and then click Run.   Type "sendto" (without
quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.  Add a
shortcut using either of the following methods:

1.  Use the right mouse button to drag a destination to the SendTo
folder, and then click Create Shortcut Here on the menu that appears.

2.  On the File menu, point to New, and then click Shortcut.  Follow the
instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.

To remove a shortcut, use the right mouse button to click the shortcut
in the SendTo folder, and then click Delete on the menu that appears.

For additional information about the Send To command, click the Start
button, click Help, type "send to" on the Index tab, and then view a topic.

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/ )
Gifts for you from Patrick.
http://www.don-guitar.com/romanrw.html

The first age-relevant search engine.   http://www.cranky.com/

A five-pointed star in one snip.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagstar.html

Hydrogen atom scale model.
http://www.phrenopolis.com/perspective/atom/

Martin Waugh's liquid sculpture.    http://www.liquidsculpture.com/

From our web sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Some kids stuff.   http://www.freekidscoloring.com/
http://www.frankasch.com/turtletale.swf
http://www.scholastic.com/kids/
http://www.meddybemps.com/riddles/

The 100 most often mispronounced words and phrases in English.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html

Potato Hill Poetry.   http://www.potatohill.com/

First Ladies.   http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/firstladies/
http://www.firstladies.org/index.htm
http://firstladies.notlong.com
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira30.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Lady_of_the_United_States

Geneva Ice Storm. January, 2005.
http://www.markdaviesmedia.com/cold
Yep, it's real.   http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/icestorm.asp

God's Painting.   http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/flowers.asp

Some, but not all, of those "feel good" stories, you know, the one's
that seem so incredibly sweet, are true and they have a name.  They're
called "glurges"   http://www.snopes.com/glurge/glurge.asp

If you're inclined to celebrate, this site will assist you by letting
you know which holiday today is (on any given day in fact).
http://www.earthcalendar.net/

From our web sibling Jerry Fox.

Jerry really enjoyed viewing the practical artwork of Rick Metz.
http://metzfunctionalart.com/page_10762.html

If you saw the email you may not have believed it but, according
to snopes.com, it's true.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/beercans.asp

From our friend Kenneth Hale.

Civil War Interactive  http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/

From our web sibling Bill Lanoue.
( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )

A YouTube video of an amazing artist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJtKxdRQzY

From our friend Terri Martin-Goin.

Here's a good site if you live in or near the twin cities of
 Minneapolis and St. Paul.   http://www.thegreenguide.org/

Win some bucks, read some history, get some tips or have
some fun.    http://www.ivory.com/index.html

This seems to be a search engine with perks.
http://www.poodwaddle.com/

Jay Leno's Garage.   http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/

A gospel music resource.   http://www.gmtn.info/

From our friend Randi Simon-Serey.

What are the core values of your life?  Can you put them
in writing?  It could be worth $200 to you  but only if you're
willing to read your essay aloud and have it recorded (click
on "Contribute an Essay" and read the page).
http://www.thisibelieve.org/

From our friend Ken Thomson, here's a mini-feature
on comparing or checking out lending institutions.

Compare credit card offers.   http://www.creditcards.com/

Resources and information on credit card and credit
card reward.   http://www.rewards.com/

Card ratings.   http://www.cardratings.com/

Multiple comparisons.   http://www.bankrate.com/

Last word, from Lisa:

For some reason, I've had more fun with this issue of the
ezine.  Perhaps it's because we're a bit pushed for time,
which is kind of energizing, perhaps it's just the mood
we're in, busy but relaxed.  Don doesn't have any problem
with the concept of living without stress, but I have a
tendency to be a worrywart, which is easing with time
and abundant joy.

What a concept; abundant joy.  I wish you that, and more.

Lisa

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Sunday, July 15, 2007
12:55 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.