[donspatch] 2007-07-01

  • From: "Don Crowder" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:20:18 -0500

Don's Patch #73 from http://www.don-guitar.com July 1,  2007

First word, from Don:

Reader contributions to this publication came to $158.50 and one
really nice letter with $3 tucked into it from a fellow named Roy
who lives in Springfield Missouri.  Roy, we say "any amount is
welcome" and we really mean it.  We'd be just as pleased if you
taped a few coins to a piece of cardboard and mailed them or
simply wrote us a nice letter.  Of course it costs even less
and is more eco-friendly to send us an email.  Our contact
page enables you to email us directly or use an online form
which permits you to remain anonymous if you wish and we
love hearing from you.

Our sincere thanks to all of you readers who have, in one way
or another, contributed to this publication and "Hey Roy!"
since you didn't give us an email address or a return address,
you'll find my reply to you on our personal news page.

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess

Section One by Don.

I'm sure we've mentioned before that we've become big fans of
Peter Oakley.   http://www.askgeriatric.com/  and we've watched
all of his videos at YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=geriatric1927
We also really enjoyed this interview on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11326883
Peter is also a member of the Zimmers (a rock band) and I
updated the Windows Media Player, as much as I dislike it,
so that I could play the Zimmer's song, My Generation that I
bought and downloaded.
http://www.myspace.com/thezimmersband

USGenNet is dedicated to providing free-access online websites
for educational purposes, for public research and for the study
of our national historical heritage.   http://www.usgennet.org/

Back in nineteenmumble I used to write my own software in
AppleSoft basic so wxBasic seems interesting to me.  I haven't
decided whether or not I want to "give it a go" though.
http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/

I wish these guys would invent a quieter website.
http://www.inventnow.org/

Want to make your own "Official Seal"?  I did one of my
own here a while back.  http://www.says-it.com/seal/
(here's mine) http://www.don-guitar.com/pni2/aos.png

Don't you just love it when a web crook gets busted?
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20070614/D8POA5JO1.html

It's only got a inch screen but wow!
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/06/asus_eee_pc_com.html

If you travel a lot this may interest you.
http://www.fon.com/en/

Are internet radio fans due for a rude awakening?
http://www.savenetradio.org/

If your version of Windows is older than XP (like my Win2K for
example) the latest version of Internet Explorer won't work
on your computer but now, more than ever, you don't have to
feel "left out".  Opera works on every version of Windows from
95 on.   http://www.opera.com/
SeaMonkey, from Mozilla, is less well known that Firefox
but the Linux version is rapidly becoming one of my favorites
and it too works on Windows from 95 on.  You have to download
the entire suite (which includes an email client) so it's a large
download (12MB) but there's a checkbox, during the install,
which permits you to install just the browser.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
Note:  If you're on a dial-up connection and don't care to make
a 12 MB download, there's also a Net installer which allows
you to download only the components you specify.
Firefox, the better known browser from Mozilla, works on
all versions of Windows from 98 on.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Windows XP and Vista users can use any of these browsers,
along with IE7 or even Safari.   http://www.apple.com/safari/

Does the U.S. need a Department of Peace?
http://www.thepeacealliance.org/

Farmer's markets can bring U.S. consumers quite a lot closer
to the produce fields than most supermarkets...
http://www.localharvest.org/
...but if that's not close enough for you, you can get "down and
dirty" with it.  http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

A girl's guide to city life.   http://girlsguidetocitylife.com/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

Read about and listen to Bettye Lavette,
a wonderful blues artist.   http://bettye.notlong.com

Loads of costless apps and tools.
http://www.mnsi.net/~jhlavac/freeware/

Elevate is a group of young people who promote
communication and insight into the foster care and
adoption process.  An example of real people
accomplishing real goals.   http://elevate.notlong.com

Learn more about the legislative process,
search the Congressional Record.
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/r109query.html

Pago Pago, an exotic port-of-call in the South Pacific,
is an interesting part of American Samoa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pago_Pago
http://www.go-samoa.com/american-samoa/pago-pago.html

Utilities and source codes for Windows.
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Cool paper toys for kids and grown-ups.
http://www.papertoys.com/

The etymology and history of first names.
http://www.behindthename.com/

Save time and effort when working with
files and folders in Windows.
http://www.conceptworld.com/piky/piky_features.asp

PSPad; a code editor for developers.
http://www.pspad.com/

How to take great people pictures.
http://peoplepictures.notlong.com

Panoply of the Weird.
http://www.scifidimensions.com/pandorasbox.htm

You've always suspected you were part Elvish.
http://www.grey-company.org/

Think you know how the Pyramids were built?
Think again.   http://thepyramids.notlong.com

There are many ways to explain everything.
Here's one, Spectrumology.  http://spectrumology.com/

A few great products, but more importantly some great
costless online tools.  http://www.visibone.com/

Some good alternatives to wheat, and other
stuff.  http://www.realfoodliving.com/wheat_alt.htm

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 393.

This issue's collection of news,
magazine, and/or informational
sites (chosen for maximum
diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.myfeedz.com/
http://www.tmz.com/
http://x17online.com/
http://www.tiffanyastone.com/
http://www.techmeme.com/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/
http://guysread.typepad.com/theblurb/
http://www.theblurb.co.uk/
http://news-service.stanford.edu/
http://www.rssmix.com/
http://www.podtech.net/scobleshow/
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usability_news.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

Section Three by Don.

A large and interesting collection of optical illusions.
http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/index-e.html

Rosebud's WWI and Early Aviation Image Archive.
http://www.earlyaviator.com/archive1.htm

This pdf document can teach you a great deal about computer
networks.   http://lantut.notlong.com   (University of Illinois)

Would you care to learn about ADSL? (DSL web connection)
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/ADSL_menu.htm

So you downloaded the Gimp but it's just too complicated for you?
Here's a nice tutorial site.   http://gimpguru.org/

Here's a lot of useful information for Irfanview users.
http://www.mrbass.org/freeware/irfanview/

If you, or anyone you know, is angry with AOL, here's a site where
you'll find some solidarity.   http://anti-aol.livejournal.com/

The Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia.
http://www.orchidspecies.com/

Time was when any dictionary at all was a great thing to
have and a Webster's was best of all.  On the web you can
even have a choice of Websters.
http://www.m-w.com/
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/
http://snipr.com/1nn0f  (University of Chicago)
http://www.bennetyee.org/http_webster.cgi
http://szotar.sztaki.hu/webster/

Merriam-Webster's Word Central is pretty cool.
http://wordcentral.com/

Luminarium is an anthology of English Literature.
http://www.luminarium.org/

If you don't get enough sitcoms from the TV you can just
zone out on them here.   http://www.sitcomsonline.com/

Mah-Jong for Unix (and Windows).
http://www.stevens-bradfield.com/MahJong/

In Search of Giant Squid.
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/squid.html

In Search of Scotland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottishhistory/

A CSS resource site from Big John and Holly Bergevin.
http://www.positioniseverything.net/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>>these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Learning Planet, a resource for parents, teachers,
and their students.  http://www.learningplanet.com/

A site dedicated to furthering the cause of
web accessibility.   http://www.accessify.com/

Information and resources for special needs.
http://www.dotolearn.com/

Units of measurement for almost anything.
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/

How many calories do you need?
http://caloriecount.notlong.com

Cool quiz; name the 192 UN Member States in
10 minutes.  http://andys.org.uk/countryquiz/

Ralph C. Merkle is an interesting person.
http://www.merkle.com/

The Virtual museum of Texas cultural heritage.
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/

Lots of cool stuff in American Scientist Online.
http://www.americanscientist.org/

VideoJug. Life explained. On film.
http://www.videojug.com/

Interesting facts about an ancient kingdom, Siam.
http://www.siam.com/

Modern art of Thailand.  http://www.artthailand.net/

Nice little costless apps.  http://www.xteq.com/products/

National Press Club Online.  http://npc.press.org/

We don't usually do commercials, but Don and I both
think this paring knife by Victorinox/Forschner is
perfect.  You can find it in several locations on
the web, including a discount for two dozen, but be
sure you're looking at the one with the serrated blade.
http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?page=358&lang=E

Great thrifty ideas.  http://www.simplythrifty.com/

Would you like to learn that?  http://www.learnthat.com/

Organize your MP3s; recommended by Lockergnome.
http://www.emilianomartin.com.ar/MP3Organizer/default.asp

End of Section Four.

Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments,
suggestions, or criticism.
The form doesn't access
your email client (it's a CGI
form), so your privacy is
assured.

If you know of a website that
would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass
it on via our online
feedback form (link above).

Section Five by Don.

Outpost: Human Origins.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/outpost/

Ivan Panin and Friends
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/panin.html
Scientific Refutation of the Bible Codes.
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/torah.html

Lisa and I are both avid readers but we live "out in the
sticks" where there are no book stores and very few
used book stores so PaperbackSwap dot com has been a
real blessing for us.  http://www.paperbackswap.com/

Fitness for women.   http://www.womenfitness.net/index.htm

Large print web surfing.   http://www.big.com/

Motherhood.   http://www.motherhood.com.sg/default.asp

For middle aged folks.   http://www.thirdage.com/index.html

BZFlag is a free online multiplayer cross-platform open source 3D tank
battle game.    http://www.bzflag.org/

One of the more important mysteries of my childhood:
What exactly does "kemo sabe" mean?
http://www.write101.com/kemosabe.htm
http://www.old-time.com/misc/kemo.html
http://www.tcnj.edu/~hofmann/kemosabe.htm

Pine isn't as sophisticated as Outlook Express or Thunderbird
but it's a highly regarded email client in academic circles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(e-mail_client)

A collection of Open Source apps.
http://nsis.whyeye.org/

The Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a (does not contain
Internet Explorer 6, DirectX 9, Media Player 9 or their updates).
http://Win98SE-final.notlong.com  (softpedia.com)

A few apps from Jeroen Kessels.   http://www.kessels.com/Downloads/

Social networking for Persians.   http://www.aryalive.com/Default.asp

This site allows you to create polls and quizzes, and get your friends
to vote on them    http://www.bestandworst.com/
or, here you can create petitions.   http://www.petitionspot.com/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine
are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also
available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

You have to eat, why not cook?  Advice from a home
chef to all you home chefs out there.  Great site!
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/

Costless tide and current prediction program.
http://www.wxtide32.com/

Some nice little apps.
http://www.ppsoft.dk/Programs.htm#English

I've always loved Popular Mechanics magazine.  Here's
the online version.   http://www.popularmechanics.com/

A radio-station search engine.
http://www.radio-locator.com/

Reviews of mysteries and thrillers of all categories.
http://www.reviewingtheevidence.com/default.html

A pretty good blog about health.
http://www.healthbolt.net/

Neat New Stuff.  http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

A site about, and for, lovers of color.
http://www.colourlovers.com/

Gangway, an online literary magazine.
http://www.gangway.net/magazine/

Analog shows you the usage patterns on
your web server.   http://www.analog.cx/

Some history, culture and art of the
Bushmen of South Africa.
http://www.theartofafrica.co.za/serv/bushmen.jsp

Costless apps and utilities.  http://www.pc-utils.com/

Create professional Flash presentations.
http://powerbullet.com/

Puzzles and games.  http://www.nzp.ca/

More magazine, celebrating women over 40.
http://www.more.com/more/

Business resources, online office tools and reference
sites.  http://bizresource.notlong.com

Expert computer help in plain English.
http://pc911.notlong.com

End of Section Six.

Websites everyone should know
about.  These aren't sponsors,
they're the best of Internet
publications and we highly
recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

The Linux Corner.

Debian tutorials.   http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Debian forums.   http://www.debianforums.org/

Installing software in Ubuntu.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Have you ever wondered who the people behind Ubuntu,
Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu are and what they do?
http://www.behindubuntu.org/

Gramps is a Linux distro just for Genealogy.
http://snipr.com/1nn0v

There's no "about" link on this so I'm not certain but
I think it's the collective blog of a bunch of Debian
developers and a truly diversified and geekly lot they
are.   http://planet.debian.org/

How about a Linux distro which you can install on Windows
as thought it were a software app?
http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

The Linux Newbie.   http://thelinuxnewbie.blogspot.com/

Linux Forums.   http://www.tuxforums.org/forum/index.php

A Ubuntu-using, Australian, female, philosophical geek.
http://www.geekosophical.net/

Linux tutorial.   http://www.linux-tutorial.info/

Our friend Lee Parmeter is the driving force behind our local
Highland Lakes Linux User's Group   http://www.hllug.org/
and here are a few links he's posted to that list.

Ubuntu is so easy to install that a non-geeky librarian can
manage it.   http://www.librarian.net/stax/2042/do-you-ubuntu/

A good Linux beginner's site.   http://beginlinux.com/

Make the move.   http://makethemove.net/

Thanks Lee.

A Little Humor.

Have you seen Chris Pirillo in this light?
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/494396/very_funny/

Tips for This Issue.

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/ )
Gifts for you from Patrick.
http://www.don-guitar.com/romanrw.html

Ark Almighty could be a good resource for your church.
http://www.arkalmighty.com/  (imbedded sound)

MIT created Open Courseware.
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm
Other universities have followed suite.
http://distancelearn.about.com/od/isitforyou/a/opencourseware.htm

Tim Knowles' Spy Box is a package that photographed its journey
through the USPS.   http://spybox.notlong.com
Tim has produced many other odd but intriguing works as well.
http://www.timknowles.co.uk/Home/tabid/262/Default.aspx

From our web sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Medieval cooking and more.   http://www.godecookery.com/

Medieval lore.   http://www.greydragon.org/library/index.html

Animals in Medieval Art.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/best/hd_best.htm

The Dark Ages.   http://cfaonline.asu.edu/the504/notes/darkages.html

Animals and more.   http://www.animalpark.org/

Taking humor seriously.   http://www.hermes-press.com/humorb.htm

From our web sibling Peter Ekkerman, Windows Vista in 2 minutes
(a funny video).   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

From our web sibling Jerry Fox.

Here's a video of a fellow named Sam Triggy who plays 3 guitars
at once.   http://www.samtriggy.com/

The low down on paper aircraft.
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/guides/paperplanes/0,,,00.html

From our web sibling Bill Lanoue.
( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )

Every U.S. military veteran has, at one time or another, needed a copy
of his DD-214 (discharge document).  Here's where you go when you
lose such vital bits of paper.   http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

From our web sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

A virtual tour of Rome.   http://www.romereborn.virginia.edu/

A panel of anonymous physicians coughs up secrets of the trade.
http://nymag.com/health/bestdoctors/2007/33163/

Olive lives in Australia, and at 107 years old claims the title of the
world's oldest blogger.   http://www.allaboutolive.com.au/

From my old friend Kenneth Hale, here's some Civil War recipes.
http://nymag.com/health/bestdoctors/2007/33163/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Peter, Jerry, Bill, John and Kenneth.

Last word, from Lisa:

Today (Wednesday, June 28th) was a perfect day to work
on the ezine.  Central Texas has been hit hard by record-
breaking rainfall.  Roads are closed, schools and
businesses are closed.  My job today was postponed until
Saturday.  We're better off than our friend Lee Parmenter,
whose Internet is out for today.  Poor man, he'll have to
read or play dominoes or something.  How can you get any
work done offline?

It was a perfect day to get the laundry done, get my part
of the ezine done, transplant some flowers between storms
and snack all day. Wait, we'll probably be socked in
tomorrow, too and I'll have to file the dog's nails and
clean the house...

Don thinks I'm compulsive.  What a...um, base allegation.

Lisa

P.S. Thanks for the nice donations.

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Sunday, July 1, 2007
1:20 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.