[donspatch] 2006-02-01

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:35:50 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2006-02-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Hello, everyone.  Greetings from central Texas.    Lisa and I did a
little math and figured out we've been putting over two hundred links
in each issue of this publication (often closer to three hundred) and
while it's mostly a labor of love, sometimes it becomes a source
of stress.  We have, therefore decided to downsize just slightly.
We aren't giving ourselves any limits but we're going to target
for more or less two hundred links per issue and see how that
works out for us.   So, here we go.

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Aggie the blind cat.  Gone but not forgotten.
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/amazing.html

A couple of advanced web development resources.
http://us2.php.net/tut.php
http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jbasics.htm

Three font sources.
http://www.acidfonts.com/
http://www.fonts.com/
http://www.freewarefonts.com/index.html

1956 Martin Luther King "Montgomery Story" comic book.
http://www.ep.tc/mlk/

A commercially oriented site with resources on studying abroad.
http://www.admissionguru.com/index.asp

A anti-pretty-much-everything site. http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/

Arthurian Legend.   http://www.arthurian-legend.com/

If the Atkins diet were safe, would this site exist?
http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/

The Sultan of Swat.   http://www.baberuth.com/

On your toes people.   http://www.balletalert.com/

The Bosnian classic games archive.   http://www.bhlegend.com/

The AMBER Plan was created in 1996 as a powerful legacy to 9-year-old
Amber Hagerman, a bright little girl who was kidnapped and brutally
murdered while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas.
http://www.codeamber.org/
http://www.amberalert.gov/

The gospel according to a grown man who plays with children's toys,
photographs the results, and maintains an ironclad grip on his copyrights.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

One cool drummer.   http://www.buddyrich.com/

It's about cartoons.   http://www.bcdb.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

What did you have for breakfast? How about everybody else?
http://ravenclawgirl.veoc.net/HouseElves/he_breakfast.htm
http://www.complementaryalternatives.com/default.asp?page=STORY3
http://www.lavasurfer.com/bchof/halloffame.html

Charity watchdog group helps you give wisely.
http://www.charitywatch.org/

Edsger Wybe Dijkstra was one of the most influential members of
computing science's founding generation.
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/

Fun, fact-filled encyclopedia, dictionary, reference library for
all ages.   http://www.factmonster.com/

A commercial, but highly informative site about alternatives to
chemical poisons.   http://www.safe2use.com/

Remember the Tom Swift, Jr. novels?
http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/

Lobsters; in the sea, in the ecosystem, with butter...
http://www.gma.org/lobsters/

Good photography and artwork is all about composition.
Exceptional site!   http://photoinf.com/

Printable children's crafts, coloring pages and more.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/

A search for wine- and vinegar-making took me to the
Museum of Bacteria.   http://www.bacteriamuseum.org/

Know more about stingrays and what to do if you're stung.
http://www.afunk.com/fish/stingray/
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic556.htm

I'm almost eligible for the Red Hat Society, but since breaking
"The Rules" is a prerequisite, I started early.
http://www.redhatsociety.com/

Have or want a home aquarium?
http://aquarticles.com/
http://www.disky-design.dk/fish/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 306.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/
http://antiwar.com/
http://www.artnet.com/
http://www.cadem.org/
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/
http://www.eurekalert.org/
http://grist.org/
http://www.ifex.org/
http://www.internetnews.com/
http://www.useit.com/
http://boortz.com/index.html
http://www.newsmax.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Colorado lore, legend and fact.   http://ellensplace.net/hcg_fac.html

A commercial looking anti-commercial site.
http://www.commercialalert.org/

Consumer alert.   http://www.consumeralert.org/

Cornfield mazes, as a commercial venture (the photos are cool).
http://www.mazeplay.com/photos.php

Which Democrats and what are they doing under ground?
http://www.democraticunderground.com/

Seeking an educational grant?   http://www.grantsalert.com/

The changing face of education.   http://www.educationevolving.org/

Edward Lear's nonsense poetry and art.
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/

Electronic Privacy Information Center.  http://www.epic.org/

A nice web development portal (may be a little dated).
http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/index.html

Famous last words.   http://web.mit.edu/randy/www/words.html

Home page of the U.S. FCC.   http://www.fcc.gov/

An odd collection of movie and game pages.   http://www.figmentfly.com/

A financial aid resource for students.   http://www.finaid.org/

Flemming Funch's blog.   http://ming.tv/flemming.html

Diary of a fired flight attendant (a blog).
http://queenofsky.journalspace.com/

They hate fluoride.   http://www.fluoridealert.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Creating your own wine is part science, part magic.
http://winemakermag.com/

The web has given us a better understanding of history than traditional
courses in schools. One improvement has been more information about
women's roles in history.  http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/

The rest of your life; the real Golden Years.
http://www.2young2retire.com/

Help yourself.   http://www.selfhelpmagazine.com/

Help yourself to home computing.
http://www.answersthatwork.com/

One of our pet peeves is that by the time children are allowed to take
typing courses in school, they've already developed poor keyboarding
technique, which will detract from their computing skills. Here's a
(rare) cost-free typing course for children.
http://www.geekcomix.com/dm/tuxtype/
It requires SDL-Simple Directmedia Layer, also cost-free.
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Playing, making, understanding the flute. Tells how to make a flute from
PVC pipe. Have to try this one!   http://www.markshep.com/flute/

These poems really got to us. Not all hearts and flowers,
but powerful.   http://snipurl.com/m0uz

Whatever happened to polio?
http://americanhistory.si.edu/polio/index.htm

Many people are serious railfans. Here's a good reason why.
http://www.alabamarailfan.com/

Resource for marine aquarists worldwide.
http://www.reefs.org/about.html

Roget's Thesaurus.
http://poets.notredame.ac.jp/Roget/

Legend of the Green Dragon, a browser based role playing game.
http://lotgd.net/home.php?

The amazing magic silver-polishing trick.
http://rant.mivox.com/nonsense/magic_silver_polishing_trick

Here's something we haven't tried yet but are certainly thinking about.
Free computer-to-computer telephone service, small fee to land-line
phones anywhere in the world.   http://www.skype.com/

Nearly everything about space.
http://www.spacetoday.org/

Massive interdisciplinary research tool.
http://snipurl.com/m0w2

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Frank W. Tober Collection on Literary Forgery.
http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/exhibits/forgery/

A very modern sort of romance (probably not worth waiting for
if you have a dial up connection).  http://foureyedmonsters.com/

When I found this I thought 'gee this seems familiar'.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fowlwords.html
after playing it for a while I searched my past issues and
found where I'd listed the same game but from another
site.  I then found another game on the original site.
http://www.miniclip.com/chickenlittle/chickenlittle.htm

Here's a good one I haven't listed for a couple of years.
http://www.freewareweb.com/

On avoiding the bad guys.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/phishingalrt.htm

Does it really matter whether uncaring nature or money-grubbing
corporations do the selecting?  http://www.gefoodalert.org

Gilbert Gottfried is a funny man.   http://www.gilbertgottfried.com/

Email updates of the latest relevant Google results based on your
choice of query or topic.  http://www.google.com/alerts?t=8

"The Horse and the Maiden" (Aeschines 1.182 etc.):
an urban legend in ancient Athens.
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~edmunds/HorseText.html

Inspiring Thoughts, published by The Divine Life Society
Distt. Tehri-Garhwal, Uttar Pradesh, Himalayas, India.
http://www.dlshq.org/download/inspiringthoughts.htm

Your children may be eligible for free or low-cost health
insurance.   http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/

Odd bits of information.
http://www.netscrap.com/netscrap_detail.cfm?scrap_id=519

International Alert works to build sustainable peace in areas affected
or threatened by violent conflict.   http://www.international-alert.org/

 Australia's Internet Safety Advisory Body.   http://www.netalert.net.au/

A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety.   http://www.indianchild.com/

Jon Peltier's Excel page.   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/

Explore English words derived from Latin-Greek origins.
http://www.wordexplorations.com/

A couple of ways you can turn your computer into
a poor-man's karaoke machine
http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/
http://www.karafun.com/
and a wealth of sources for the music files.
http://snipurl.com/m0ss

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Streetproofing program for children.   http://www.sass.ca/

Think web searching is a mysterious art? Advice on getting just
what you need.   http://searchenginewatch.com/facts/

Everyone remembers the Jetsons!
http://www.cybercomm.nl/~ivo/index.html

5,000 years of art; the Met.
http://www.metmuseum.org/home.asp

A site dedicated to pre-1975 vehicles.
http://www.thisoldride.com/

World clocks, time zone converters, calendars, more.
http://www.timeanddate.com/

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, spooky to this day.
http://www.bartleby.com/310/2/2.html

The 50 most loathsome people in America.
http://buffalobeast.com/91/50.htm

The real Dracula was even nastier than you know.
http://members.aol.com/atamas/transylvania.htm

Cambodia, Laos, Thailand & Vietnam online travel guide.
http://www.travelfish.org/

The pleasure of treasure hunting.
http://www.prostockdetectors.com/home.html

The Unicode Home Page.   http://www.unicode.org/

Gallery of costless software packages for Unix.
http://netsw.org/

The Urban Legend Combat Kit.
http://netsquirrel.com/combatkit/

What does the Secret Service do?
http://www.secretservice.gov/

United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team.
http://www.us-cert.gov/

USS Liberty was attacked without warning by air and naval forces
of the State of Israel on June 8, 1967. The inquiry;
http://www.usslibertyinquiry.com/index.html

The world's most complicated wristwatch.
http://snipurl.com/m0x6

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites Everyone Should Know About.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A pair of interesting game sites.
http://www.legendofmir.net/
http://l5r.alderac.com/

 Linda Joy Myers' blog.
http://lindajoymyers.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Is it humanly possible?   http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

The Mechanical Contrivium is the automatic trivia generator.
http://thesurrealist.co.uk/trivia.pl

Medieval Sourcebook.  http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

There are many unusual things to read on Mark Rosenfelder's
Metaverse.   http://www.zompist.com/

Missing and Exploited Children.   http://www.missingkids.com/

Anti-money laundering news.   http://www.moneylaundering.com/

Find dictionary words for crossword puzzles, code words and
word games.   http://www.morewords.com/

Movie reviews and gossip.   http://www.movie-page.com

Software for Win2k or XP from the U.S. Post Office.
http://www.usps.com/mydesktoppostoffice/

Myth and legend from ancient times to the space age.
http://www.pibburns.com/myth.htm

Cowtris is a silly but cute game.  http://www.nonsensesoftware.com/

Teaching legal professionals how to do research.
http://www.virtualchase.com/

A semi-commercial site about pirates.  http://www.piratesinfo.com/

============== Humor =============

Musician's Humor, Part X

Q: What's the perfect weight of a conductor?
A: Three and one-half pounds, including the urn.

Q: What do all great conductors have in common?
A: They're all dead

Q: What's the definition of optimism?
A: A bass trombonist with a beeper.

Q: What do you do if you run over a bass player?
A: Back up.

Q: How do you reduce wind-drag on a trombonist's car?
A: Take the Domino's Pizza sign off the roof

============== Tips ===============

Geekgirl's plain English computing guides.
http://www.geekgirls.com/

Giles Edkins Windows help.
http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/giles/winhelp/index.htm

Illustrated Guide to the PC Hardware.
http://www.karbosguide.com/

Computer help2go.   http://www.help2go.com/

Taking great pictures.  http://snipurl.com/is76

======== Reader Contributions =========

An oldie but a goodie from Foggy.
http://www.howtocleananything.com/

Irving Stein is a subscriber and regular contributor to our ezine.
He's also one of the online computer experts at
http://www.allexperts.com  where his identity is "Irving S".
You might also enjoy his thought provoking website:
http://www.irvings-info-page.cityslide.com
Here are some sites that Irving sent me for this issue:
Warning:  When visiting links provided by Irv, I recommend
turning your speaker off, or way down, to limit the startle factor.

Ed Fink's 360 degree panoramas.  http://www.bigeyeinthesky.com/

Technical answers from Leo Notenboom.   http://ask-leo.com/

The online version of a tech ezine.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/248.htm

A collection of image galleries from a fellow named Cal.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal731/index.html

Weather slideshows.   http://chiliweather.com/

Computer stuff.   http://www.datadoctors.com/

Paris by night.   http://framboise781.free.fr/Paris.htm

A database resource of fun facts and interesting trivia.
http://www.pubquizhelp.34sp.com/index.html

Pulitzer Prize Photographs.  http://www.newseum.org/pulitzer/

Jo-Ann Burton is a wonderful friend.  We didn't grow up together,
and we've never met in person but she's my sister.  I sometimes
harvest links that she posts to her Yahoo group (to which I belong).
Here's a few, from Jo-Ann:

The American Tort Reform Association.   http://www.atra.org/

AAA Fuel Cost Calculator.   http://www.fuelcostcalculator.com/

 Twelve principles for finding lost things.
http://www.professorsolomon.com/12principles.html

Photos and movies of a dog who likes to skateboard.
http://www.skateboardingbulldog.com/picsandmovies.htm

Ugly money.
http://www.johnnyburrito.com/uglymoney_drawn.htm

A very fast paced and potentially frustrating online game.
http://upchucky.com/games/hairball-bowling.html
Other things from the same source.
http://upchucky.com/Home.html

An extensive portal site.  http://www.verticalportals.com/

The Wal-Mart movie:  The High Cost of Low Price
http://www.walmartmovie.com/
The Wal-Mart movie blog.   http://www.walmartmovie.com/blog.php

Sounds Made by Wild Turkeys.
http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/sounds_of_turkeys.html

The Center for Women Veterans.   http://www1.va.gov/womenvet/

The World Monuments Fund.   http://wmf.org/

Here's an interesting site from reader and friend Patrick Barden.
 Floppy Office is a collection of small, self contained no-install
applications which enable the end use access to every tool,
utility and program imaginable for home, business, and student
users alike. All of the self-contained, standalone applications
require no installation, whatsoever, and for this reason make
the perfect companion software package for your USB stick.
http://www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php

Here's a few sites we got from our Australian friend
Tim Skyrme of artzend.   http://www.artzend.com/

The Wacky Patent of the Month.  http://colitz.com/site/wacky.htm

If you're an American, the next time someone asks "Where does
the money go?", send them here.  http://www.wheresgeorge.com/
The same great service is now available to Canadians *grin*.
http://www.whereswilly.com/

The Glass Armonica is a musical instrument invented by Benjamin
Franklin.  William Zeitler may well be the only full-time Armonica
player on the planet.   http://www.glassarmonica.com/

World time.  Click on a location.
http://www.worldtime.com/cgi-bin/wt.cgi

Here's a few from reader and friend John Lepse.

Caring for Your Introvert
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

Career Voyages.   http://www.careervoyages.gov/

(A) Crash course in learning theory.   http://tinyurl.com/b3h4w

Thanks Foggy, Irv, Jo, Patrick, Tim and John.

=================================

If you have WindowsXP, there's a nifty feature that allows
you to use images in your computer as a Screensaver
Slideshow.   Here's how; Right click an empty area of
your desktop and choose Properties from the menu.
In the Display Properties window click the Screensaver
tab and in the drop-down window choose My Pictures
Slideshow.  Click the Settings button and customize
your slideshow as you like. Use the Browse button to
choose the folder from which you would like your
pictures taken or set up a special folder and let the
slideshow run from there.   I just use the whole My
Pictures folder and the program picks the pictures
at random.   We call it LisaTV and sometimes just
watch it when the computer's on and we're relaxing
or working on the other computer.   We've had a
relaxing couple of days, working on the ezine and
personal news pages, so tomorrow it's back to
work. Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's... yeah, I know.
Keep smilin', ya'll.

Lisa

(Lisa's computer uses XP home,
Don's computer uses Win2k Pro)

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Wednesday, February 1, 2006
12:35 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This is a reader-supported publication.
You can show your support by making
a contribution in any amount you choose.
No contribution is too small.
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª