[donspatch] 2005-07-01

  • From: "Don Crowder" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:04:18 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2005-07-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Once again I've proven that I have absolutely no promotional skills.
My appeal for donations, in the last issue, went entirely unnoticed
by my readers.  My favorite public radio station

KUT - 90.5 FM - Austin, TX - http://www.kut.org

runs a pledge drive a couple of times a year and I usually become
impatient with the way they drone on-and-on but they need several
hundred thousand dollars a year.  I need about two hundred and I
have nearly three hundred readers.  Do the math.  Is this ezine worth
a dollar to you?  Nuff said.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My son-in-law recently came close to loosing his eyesight due to
the side effects of a dietary supplement he was taking.  Here's a
few articles on dangerous dietary supplements.
http://snipurl.com/fwmi
http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/568/ssert48.cfm?pid=96
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/nutrition/supplements/
http://www.nurseweek.com/features/00-04/herbs.html
http://snipurl.com/fwmn
http://snipurl.com/fwmw
http://www.thomasjmoore.com/pages/dietary_part7.html
http://www.therubins.com/health/StJohn4.htm

The search for articles on dangerous dietary supplements
yielded some interesting sites to explore.
http://www.gssiweb.com/index.cfm
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/nutrition/index.php
http://snipurl.com/fwmq
http://www.discovernursing.com/
http://www.helpguide.org/index.htm
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/
http://www.therubins.com/
http://www.thomasjmoore.com/index.shtml
http://www.yourlawyer.com/
http://www.foodlaw.org/
http://www.foodlaw.org/
http://www.foodrisk.org/index.cfm
http://www.citizen.org/
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/index.html
http://www.center4research.org/
http://www.reason.com/  (one pop-up)
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/
http://www.herbalgram.org/default.asp

LaTeX is a document preparation system.
http://www.latex-project.org/
http://tex.loria.fr/

A very interesting site that's all about one particular postage
stamp.   http://home.comcast.net/~3cent1851/index.htm

A different take on time.  http://www.dbeat.com/28/

What's a "401k"?
http://www.psca.org/401k.html
http://www.401khelpcenter.com/

A full belly.   http://www.afullbelly.com/

I mentioned these site a couple of months ago but they're
very cool, and worth another mention.
http://www.aphotoaday.org/
http://lava.nationalgeographic.com/pod/

The American Bar Association.   http://www.abanet.org/

Folks who're into walking.  http://www.americanhiking.org/

Biography of the day.  http://www.anb.org/biooftheday.html

The website of the Biological Modeling and Visualization research
group in the Department of Computer Science at the University
of Calgary.   http://algorithmicbotany.org/

You name it, there's likely to be someone,
somewhere, who collects it.
http://traincollectors.org/
http://www.roadmaps.org/
http://atcaonline.com/
http://www.mwtca.org/
http://www.swtca.org/
http://www.alpca.org/
http://www.collinsradio.org/
http://www.coinopclub.org/
http://www.reamers.org/
http://www.tubecollectors.org/
http://www.fancollectors.org/
http://typewriter.rydia.net/etcetera.htm
http://www.paperweight.org/
http://scouttrader.org/
http://www.hrca.net/
http://www.garandcollector.org/
http://www.amica.org/
http://www.coltcollectorsassoc.com/
http://www.winchestercollector.org/
http://www.hlcca.org/
http://hometown.aol.com/machood/swordsociety1.html
http://www.lcsmith.org/
http://www.tias.com/mags/cjca/
http://www.meteoritecollectors.org/
http://www.rockhounds.com/icca/
http://www.orcaonline.org/
http://rrca.diskery.com/
http://www.hartparroliver.org/
http://www.modelengine.org/
http://www.midwestdecoy.org/
http://www.bamca.org/
http://www.pgcaglassclub.com/
http://cpica.ca/
http://www.quackin.com/ccaa/
http://www.antiquebottles.com/
http://www.nemca.com/
http://www.alca-online.org/
http://www.ford-fordson.org/
http://members.aol.com/cigpack/
http://cgi.sfu.ca/~gpeters/aeca/home.php
http://www.ytmag.com/

ArtsconvergeTM is a multi-media player that integrates and times
the presentation of text, translations and fixed image material to
either pre-recorded (mp3) or live-concert vocal music.
http://www.artsconverge.com/ac/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Ashrita Furman has set 93 official Guinness Records.
http://www.ashrita.com/

The world's largest federation of amateur astronomers.
http://www.astroleague.org/index.html

Some interesting reading on "Persuasion and Influence" by
professor Steve Booth-Butterfield of West Virginia University.
http://www.as.wvu.edu/~sbb/comm221/primer.htm

A forum for singers.  http://www.audiomoka.net/forum/

These two sites form a sort of yin yang pair.
http://www.beliefnet.com/
http://disbelief.humanists.net/

This Christian site seemed a little eclectic to me.
http://godrules.net/

A role playing game (RPG) site.  http://www.1km1kt.net/

The Bilby Awards are Queensland's children's choice awards from
the Children's Book Council of Australia (Queensland Branch).
http://www.pa.ash.org.au/cbc/bilbyawards/default.asp

The Blue Brain Project.   http://bluebrainproject.epfl.ch/

Blue Gene is an IBM Research project dedicated to exploring the
frontiers in supercomputing.   http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/

Although the full moon occurring Saturday, July 31, 2004, will look like
an ordinary full moon, it will actually be a bit extraordinary; a blue moon.
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bluemoon1.html

Atlas of Canada.   http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/index.html

Canadian Encyclopedia.   http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/

Canada Aviation Museum.   http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/

The Blue Ocean Institute.   http://www.blueoceaninstitute.org/

An award winning not-for-profit organization dedicated to facilitating
projects and expeditions that enhance global marine conservation
and research.    http://www.blueventures.org/

BlueVoice.org is about saving dolphins and whales, and protecting
the oceans.   http://www.bluevoice.org/

This site is about modern (mainly rock) music.
http://brainwashed.com/

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.   http://plato.stanford.edu/

5 A Day for Better Health
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5aday/
from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
http://www.cdc.gov/

CDex is an interesting and Open Source audio tool.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/features.php

Lesson plans, created by teachers , from the Columbia Education
Center.    http://www.col-ed.org/cur/

Forums on every imaginable subject.  http://cellar.org/

Classical guitar songs in midi format.
http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/

Classical midi files for the classical midi fan who's not afraid
of Bartók.   http://midiworld.com/DavidSiu/

Council of Europe portal.   http://www.coe.int/DefaultEN.asp

A web search guide for students.   http://cybersleuth-kids.com/

David Levine's economic and game theory page.
http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/

"The Day in Photos".  A gallery from the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/photo/dayinphotos/

A Day in the Life of Africa.   http://www.ditlafrica.com/

Discovery School.   http://school.discovery.com/

The Dog of the Day.   http://dogoftheday.com/
The Cat of the Day.    http://catoftheday.com/
The Pet of the Day.    http://petoftheday.com/

Most of us type on what is called a "Qwerty" keyboard.  The name
refers to the row of keys above the left-hand home row (have a look,
the word "qwerty" is spelled out there).  There's another way to lay
out a computer keyboard that's gaining popularity.  It's called Dvorak.
http://www.gigliwood.com/abcd/abcd.html
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://www.theworldofstuff.com/dvorak/
http://dvzine.org/zine/index.html

An Early Day Motion, or EDM, is a motion put down ("tabled") by
Members of Parliament (UK) calling for a debate on a particular
subject.    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/Default.aspx

National Center for Education Statistics.   http://nces.ed.gov/

"Science Myths" in K-6 textbooks and popular culture.
http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon.html

The European Space Agency.   http://www.esa.int/esaCP/

Estuaries are places where rivers meet the sea.
http://www.estuaries.gov/

The Euro.   http://europa.eu.int/euro/entry.html

European Environment Agency.
http://www.eea.eu.int/main_html

The information network on education in Europe.
http://www.eurydice.org/accueil_menu/en/frameset_menu.html

A portal to the European Union.   http://europa.eu.int/index_en.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 286.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.bear-left.com/
http://www.iht.com/
http://newsmine.org/
http://www.pifmagazine.com/
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/default.htm
http://www.tabaret.ca/index_e.html
http://www.vatican.va/news_services/or/or_eng/index.html
http://www.usatoday.com/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
http://www.racecar.co.uk/motorsportnews.asp
http://www.rodeoattitude.com/main/index.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Fact Monster; an educational resource.   http://www.factmonster.com/

Family First is a portal site.   http://www.familyfirst.com/

Forums, puzzles and web tools/toys.   http://www.flooble.com/

Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations.
http://www.fao.org/

The Food Museum.   http://www.foodmuseum.com/

"Codec" is an acronym for compressor/decompressor and is a
tool used in viewing video on computers.  Different video formats
require different codecs.   http://www.free-codecs.com/index.htm

Online education without cost.   http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/

Costless applications.   http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html

An informational resource on fire hydrants.
http://www.firehydrant.org/]

Yusuf Islam was once known as Cat Stevens.
http://www.yusufislam.org.uk/

The Proceedings of the Friesian School.   http://www.friesian.com/

Martin Ward's tribute to G. K. Chesterton.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/

Gandhi.   http://www.mkgandhi.org/index.htm

National Human Genome Research Institute.
http://www.genome.gov/

Geography Network.   http://www.geographynetwork.com/

Bio of George Eastman.   http://snipurl.com/fx8v

Bio of George Orwell.   http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/]

History of Global Plate Motions.
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/platetec/plhist94.htm

A Listserv-based discussion forum about government information
and the Federal Depository Library program.
http://docs.lib.duke.edu/federal/govdoc-l/

Government of Alberta.   http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/index.cfm
Government of Ontario.   http://www.gov.on.ca/MBS/english/index.html

Bonnie Burton is an interesting young woman.
http://www.grrl.com/newhome.html

A network of young adults whose lives have been affected by cancer.
http://www.hya.org/

Do it yourself home-improvement data.
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/howto.html

Restaurant reviews and information.   http://www.hungrymonster.com/

International Atomic Energy Agency.   http://www.iaea.org/

Draw yourself a picture.   http://www.imaginationcubed.com/LaunchPage

Yoko Ono Lennon has given Amnesty International a wonderful and
generous gift: the rights to use her late husband's song "Imagine" in
a campaign for human rights.   http://www.amnestyusa.org/imagine/

I don't like about.com sites because they're filled with ads and navigation
is a "bring your lunch" proposition because they have tens of thousands
of pages.  That being said, this page contains, or (sigh) leads to, some
interesting reading.   http://inventors.about.com/

"Imagine Mars".  http://imaginemars.jpl.nasa.gov/index2.html

Imagine the Universe.   http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.html

Imagine New York.   http://www.imaginenewyork.org/index.html

Scholarly Internet Resource Collections.   http://infomine.ucr.edu/

International Civil Aviation Organization.   http://www.icao.int/

Institute of International Education.   http://www.iie.org/

Internet4Classrooms:  Helping teachers use the internet effectively.
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/index.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A community of individuals who love to skip.  http://www.iskip.com/

The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
http://www.knightfdn.org/default.asp

The K-12Linux Project.   http://www.k12ltsp.org/

K-3D features a robust, object oriented plugin architecture, designed
to scale to the needs of professional artists, and is designed from the
ground up to generate motion picture quality animation using
RenderMan compliant render engines.    http://k3d.sourceforge.net/

A quizzing resource.   http://www.kcircle.com/

A Digital Library for K-12 students.
http://www.npac.syr.edu/textbook/kidsweb/

Education & healthcare information for parents and children.
http://www.kidsource.com/  (one pop-up)

The Koran.  http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/koran/

Where trade unionists start their day on the net.
http://www.labourstart.org/

375,000 bibliographic records for the years 1969 to 2001, with
12,500 new records added each year.
http://www.annee-philologique.com/aph/

The U.S. National Library of Medicine.   http://www.nlm.nih.gov/

 Lunar Photo of the Day.   http://www.lpod.org/

The blog of a soldier who's serving in Iraq.
http://strengthandhonor.typepad.com/captaink/

Malin Space Science Systems.   http://www.msss.com/

The Math Forum.   http://www.mathforum.org/

MathMol (Mathematics and Molecules) is designed to serve as an
introductory starting point for those interested in the field of
molecular modeling.    http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/

Virtual Museum of Measuring Engines.
http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~rjp0i/museum/engines.html

Published from 1800 to 1872; an anthology of works for children,
and an eccentric collection of works for adults.
http://www.merrycoz.org/

Midi music collections.   http://www.mfiles.co.uk/midi-files.htm

The Gallery Of "Misused" Quotation Marks.
http://www.juvalamu.com/qmarks/

The MIT $50K entrepreneurship competition.   http://50k.mit.edu/

The National Academies Press.   http://www.nap.edu/

A yin yang pair.
http://www.nationaldayofreason.org/
http://www.nationaldayofprayer.org/

The UK's National Poetry Day is October 6th.
http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/npd/npdindex.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization.  http://www.nato.int/

American online newspaper columnist and commentators index.
http://www.blueagle.com/

Newspapers and technology.   http://www.newsandtech.com/

An online hangout for teenagers.  http://www.niceattitude.com/

A few goodies from Nirsoft.  http://www.nirsoft.net/

Official Statistics.
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/subjects/stats/offstats/

News from the Paris Observatory.
http://www.obspm.fr/obsparis.en.shtml

Kids stuff from PBS.   http://pbskids.org/go/

The Points of Light Foundation.   http://www.pointsoflight.org/

Public safety job opportunities.   http://www.theblueline.com/

The web site that tells where the dead politicians are buried.
http://www.politicalgraveyard.com/

Positive Quote of the Day.   http://www.positivepress.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Pre-K Now.   http://www.preknow.org/
Pre-K Smarties.   http://www.preksmarties.com/

The largest known examples of certain types of dense clusters
of prime numbers.   http://www.ltkz.demon.co.uk/ktuplets.htm

Ad supported online games and quizzes.   http://www.quizland.com/

Quotes of the day.  Each time you refresh this page you'll get a new,
randomly selected, quotation.   http://www.qotd.org/

Ramón Pajares Box's classical music files.   http://www.rpajares.net/

The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.
http://www.actsofkindness.org/

Images of genuine cross-breed animals.
http://www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/crossesa.htm

Recipes for every occasion.   http://recipe.com/index.htm  (one pop-up)

Salli Vates' New York food page.   http://www.sallivates.com/

SANS' Information Security reading room.   http://www.sans.org/rr/

A kids site from Scholastic.com.   http://www.scholastic.com/kids/

Screen magnifiers and other resources for persons who're vision
impaired.   http://www.magnifiers.org/

There are a few interesting things to read on the homepage of Carnagie
Mellon's School of Computer Science.   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/

The Henry L. Stimson Center.   http://www.stimson.org/home.cfm

Learn how to take great pictures.   http://snipurl.com/8pro

September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
http://www.yarr.org.uk/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites Everyone Should Know About.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Here's three sites sent in by regular contributor
John Lepse.  Of the first, a file sharing utility, John
says "As far as I can determine it's all legal.  It offers
music, movies, hobbies, and more."
http://grouper.com/
John describes the next site as a "scary people
finder" because it "purports to find people even if they
have unlisted numbers"; a disquieting claim which he
has reason to suspect is true.  http://www.zabasearch.com/
Lastly, here's a Metasearch engine John likes to use "on
those occasions when Google doesn't satisfy".
http://mrsapo.com/

Here's a cute one from my long-time friend, reader, and
web sibling Vinette DePhillipe.
http://www.chezmaya.com/applet/valentin.htm
On a far more serious note, Vi sent this like to a page on
the Lifetime TV network site where your input could help end
"drive through mastectomies".
http://www.lifetimetv.com/reallife/bc/pledges/bc_mast_pledge.html
Note:  The only information required on the petition (above) is your
name, state and zip code.  Lisa and I both signed it.
By the way, women, in particular, may find a great deal more of
interest on the site.   http://www.lifetimetv.com/

My friend Peter Ekkerman likes (and actually bought me a copy of)
Easy GIF Animator   http://www.blumentals.net/egifan/
which is a very inexpensive shareware.  I told him I'd try it but, under
normal circumstances, economic necessity forces me to seek out
costless apps like Unfreez.   http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/

Thanks John, Vi, and Peter.

=================================

Thank you gentle readers for your continued support and welcome
commentary.  See you next time.

Don Crowder - Thursday, June 30, 2005

12:00 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª