[donspatch] 2005-06-15

  • From: "Don Crowder" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:45:25 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2005-06-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

This ezine is published twice monthly and became an independent
publication on July 1st of 2004.  This is the 24th issue I've written
since I signed up with freelists.org, making it the last issue of my
first independent year.   Many of you have been with me since the
first issue.  How am I doing?  Are you still happy with my work?
I hope so, and I hope you'll consider making a modest donation.
I love this ezine so I'll keep writing it whether or not any of you
choose to contribute but your contributions pay my hosting costs
and provide me with some additional incentive.  Lisa has created
some nice computer wallpaper images as our gift to you.  There's
only one link to the wallpaper page on my site.  You'll find it on my
donations page.   http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A mini-feature on windmills.
http://www.windmillworld.com/
http://webserv.nhl.nl/~smits/windmill.htm
http://www.wired.com/news/planet/0,2782,67121,00.html
http://www.bamjam.net/Spain/Mancha.html
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/213/21307n/e213gn11.html
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/WW/aow1.html
http://www.sci.mus.mn.us/sln/vollis/index/frontvollis.html
http://www.wcsscience.com/windpower/page.html

There are several places on my website where I've used this online
form to create a high level of security for sensitive information.
http://automaticlabs.com/products/enkoderform/
Note:  For an example, view the source (examine the html code)
of my contact page:   http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Electronics and car sound systems.   http://www.bcae1.com/
XP basics.   http://www.bcae1.com/comptutorial/computertutorial.htm

An information security resource from the (U.S.) Federal Trade
Commission.   http://www.ftc.gov/infosecurity/

George Carlin's hair poem.
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/george-carlin-hair-poem-lyrics.html

Lisa and I enjoyed exploring Hugo Kaagman's art.
http://www.kaagman.nl/index.htm

A midi collection from Jack Hall.
http://www.geocities.com/~kcaj22/origmidi.html

A crochet and tatting resource (thanks Vi).
http://us.geocities.com/mountainhome1999/index.html

Sulabh International Museum of Toilets.
http://www.sulabhtoiletmuseum.org/index.htm

"Open Source" education.   http://www.opencontent.org/

Helpful information from PayPal.   http://snipurl.com/fj8b

Peter, Paul and Mary.   http://www.peterpaulandmary.com/

The Review of Arts, Literature, Philosophy and the Humanities.
http://www.ralphmag.org/index.html

Sylpheed is a sophisticated email client and news reader.
http://sylpheed.good-day.net/

The Thomas B. Fordham Foundation is "into" educational reform.
http://www.edexcellence.net/foundation/global/index.cfm

Take Back Your Time is a major U.S./Canadian initiative to challenge
the epidemic of overwork, over-scheduling and time famine that now
threatens our health, our families and relationships, our communities
and our environment.   http://www.simpleliving.net/timeday/

A Tarot, Runes, Numerology, and I Ching "resource" (I don't take
any of this seriously and hope you don't either).
http://www.facade.com/

TED Notepad for Windows looks and behaves mostly like the
original Windows Notepad with a lot of extra features and functions
for text editing.    http://jsimlo.sk/notepad/

An intense yuppie site.  http://www.theallineed.com/

A book on "hypergeometric identities" (serious geek zone).
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/AeqB.html

The K-Zone is the collected rambling musings of Kevin Boone,
scientist, engineer, and educator (more geekery).
http://www.kevinboone.com/index.html

Security articles from the Register.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/

The Selekta is an electronic music resource (not my sort of music
but lots of young people like it).  http://www.selekta.com/default.asp

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Science Fiction writer Ted Sturgeon.
http://www.physics.emory.edu/~weeks/misc/sturgeon.html

A highly commercial yuppie-geek site.  http://www.thinkgeek.com/

If you've finally had enough of Outlook Express, consider
Thunderbird.  http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

The Trans-Iron Galactic Element Recorder (TIGER) is a balloon
borne instrument designed to measure the elemental abundances
of Galactic Cosmic Rays.   http://cosray2.wustl.edu/tiger/

Timecursor inserts a tiny clock near the mouse pointer, it's
possible to change its colour, size and position (for XP).
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Byte/6202/

TongueWag is a web publishing tool.   http://www.tonguewag.com/

For tornado chasers, photographers and sky lovers.
http://www.chaseday.com/

"Professional secrets from those in the know."
http://www.tradetricks.org/

A television resource.   http://www.tvtome.com/

A mini-feature related to "typing".
http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/ot.html
http://library.swantafe.wa.edu.au/History/commercial.htm
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/modelb/modelb_history.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html
http://typographi.com/

The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory.   http://www.nrl.navy.mil/home.php

The UN Refugee Agency.   http://www.unhcr.ch/

The numbers that control your life.
http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/index.html

A dictionary of "Units of Measurement".
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/

The U.S. House of Representatives online.   http://www.house.gov/

Do you have a question about volcanoes, earthquakes, mountains,
rocks, maps, ground water, lakes, or rivers?
http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/ask-a-geologist/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 281.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.worldandi.com/
http://www.tabaret.ca/index_e.html
http://www.eclectic.co.uk/news
http://www.alamogordonews.com/  (has pop-up)
http://www.funtimenews.com/
http://www.vanguardnews.com/
http://www.whysmalltalk.com/
http://www.periodico26.cu/english.htm
http://www.nywici.org/
http://www.papyrusnews.com/
http://www.fluxuries.com/
http://www.newstarget.com/
http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/
http://indiacurrents.com/news/
http://www.tdn.com/
http://www.daytondailynews.com/
http://www.cnn.com/ (has pop-ups and pop-unders)
http://www.cfo.com/
http://www.rednova.com/
http://theage.com.au/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The USO online.   http://www.uso.org/

The Etext Center at the University of Virginia Library.
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/

The Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B.
http://scitation.aip.org/jvstb/

A resource for Visual Basic programmers.
http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/index.asp

The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies.
http://www.itatti.it/default.htm

Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient
text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed
with most UNIX systems.   http://www.vim.org/index.php

VIMOS is a visible (0.37 to 1.0 um) wide field imager and multi-object
spectrograph mounted on the Nasmyth focus B of UT3.
http://www.eso.org/instruments/vimos/

The Journal of Virology.   http://jvi.asm.org/

Not entirely without cost but inexpensive and potentially rewarding.
http://vu.org/

For serious travelers.   http://www.virtualtourist.com/

For helpful travelers.    http://www.i-to-i.com/

International Walk to School.   http://www.iwalktoschool.org/

A desktop utility for Windows.
http://www.geocities.com/sixpackvitasoy/wallpaper.htm

WarScholar is an international directory for "things military".
http://www.warscholar.com/index.html

There's some interesting reading on the website of
theoretical physics professor Warren Siegel.
http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/plan.html

A mini-feature on "water".
http://webworld.unesco.org/water/wwap/pccp/cd/civilization.html
http://academic.bowdoin.edu/classics/research/moyer/index.shtml
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/roman/watering.html
http://www.cyberbohemia.com/Pages/massbathing.htm
http://www.plumbingworld.com/historyroman.html
http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/baths.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Over 4300 movie sounds.   http://www.wavsite.com/index.htm

WB.   http://www.thewb.com/Index/0,7349,,00.html

An online book entitled "Web Style Guide".
http://www.webstyleguide.com/index.html?/contents.html

A large ad supported (but interesting) portal.
http://www.webbieworld.com/

The Webby Awards.   http://www.webbyawards.com/index.php

An online service that lets you test single pages of web content
for quality, accessibility, and privacy issues.
http://webxact.watchfire.com/

Worthwhile reading for any computer user.
http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

Featuring information on a different world leader every weekday.
http://www.whoyoushouldknow.com/

Harlem Renaissance artist William H. Johnson.
http://www.nku.edu/~diesmanj/whjohnson.html

A Windows help forum site.   http://forums.windrivers.com/

Celebration of Women Writers.
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/

For anyone who loves words.   http://wordnet.princeton.edu/

WordPerfect for DOS.
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/index.html

Online French, Italian and Spanish Dictionary.
http://www.wordreference.com/
WordReference Forums.   http://forum.wordreference.com/

A biome is a large geographical area of distinctive plant and
animal groups, which are adapted to that particular environment.
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm

World Flag Database.   http://www.flags.net/index.php

World Health Organization.   http://www.who.int/en/

A WWI mini-feature.
http://www.worldwar1.com/
http://www.wwi-models.org/
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/
http://www.firstworldwar.com/

A war game for "big boys".   http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

Promoting web services interoperability across platforms,
operating systems, and programming languages.
http://www.ws-i.org/

I read all about it and decided this is too deep for me but that
may not be true of you.   http://www.xfree86.org/

xine is a video player.   http://xinehq.de/index.php

The Yngwie Malmsteen official website & fan club.
http://www.yngwie.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you, or your organization, had some sort of marvelous
world-altering idea you wanted to develop you might look
in one of these places for monetary support.
http://www.allenfoundation.org/apply.asp
http://www.federalgrantswire.com/
http://www.health.grantgate.org/
http://www.wkkf.org/
http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/3food.htm (portal)

Have you ever heard of "Tulip Mania"?
http://www.tulip-fever.com/tulipmania.html
http://www.hortus-bulborum.nl/eng/tulpomanie-eng.html

A mini-feature on "Rice".
http://www.asiarice.org/index.html
http://www.calrice.org/
http://www.fao.org/rice2004/index_en.htm
http://www.riceonline.com/
http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/
http://www.ricegourmet.com/index.htm
http://www.riceweb.org/Index.htm
http://www.riceinfo.com/
http://www.riceland.com/

Wild rice recipes.
http://www.voyageurit.net/about/recipes.htm
http://www.christmaspoint.com/recipe.html
http://www.mnwildrice.com/recipes.htm
http://www.mts.net/~rrussell/recipes.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

There are several things to explore on the UC Davis site.
http://www.ucdavis.edu/index.html

The official site of author Philip K. Dick.
http://www.philipkdick.com/

The official web site of author Ursula K. Le Guin.
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/

NASA Quest is an awesome site.   http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/

The leading think tank and public interest institute on nanotechnology.
http://www.foresight.org/

I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the site of cartoonist Keith Knight.
http://www.kchronicles.com/index.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites Everyone Should Know About.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A few sites that relate to schools and/or education.
http://www.eduplace.com/
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/resources/staffpages/shirk/k12.music.html
http://www.ceismc.gatech.edu/busyt/
http://my.execpc.com/~dboals/boals.html
http://www.proquestk12.com/
http://www.eduhound.com/
http://www.asd.com/
http://www.teachingk-8.com/
http://www.enc.org/
http://archives.math.utk.edu/k12.html
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Home_Page/AFR_GIDE.html
http://www.kzone.com.au/
http://www.funbrain.com/
http://ecedweb.unomaha.edu/home.htm
http://www.kkids.org/kkids/
http://www.mcrel.org/standards-benchmarks/
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/edu.html
http://www.tenet.edu/
http://www.k12tlc.org/
http://bensguide.gpo.gov/k-2/
http://wings.avkids.com/
http://www.educ.iastate.edu/nflrc/
http://www.preksmarties.com/
http://grants.nih.gov/training/careerdevelopmentawards.htm
http://www.ed.gov/programs/jacobjavits/index.html
http://www.greatschools.net/
http://www.kinderart.com/

============== Humor =============

 An old man is lying on his deathbed with his children,
grandchildren, and older great-grandchildren all around,
teary-eyed at the approaching finale of a very long and
productive life.  The old man is in a terminal coma, and
the doctors have confirmed that the waiting will be over
within the next twenty-four hours.  Suddenly, the old
man opens his eyes and croaks: "I must be dreaming
of heaven!   I smell your grandmother's strudel!"

"No, grandfather, you are not dreaming, grandmother
is baking strudel now."

"I know I will never have another taste of her delicious
strudel after this one.  Could you please go down and
get me a piece?", the old man begs with what is left
of his final breath.

One of the grandchildren is immediately dispatched to
honor the old man's last request.   After a long time,
he returns empty-handed.

"Did you bring me one last piece of your grandmother's
delicious strudel?" the old man plaintively queries.

"I'm very sorry, grandfather, but she says it's for the funeral."

Copied from this website sent in by reader John Lepse:

http://www.thepocket.com/

Thanks John.

============== Tips ===============

Bob Cerelli's Windows Tips & Tricks.
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm

======== Reader Contributions =========

Andy sent this link to a color test.  I've seen this one several
times in other places but it's always fun to try it again.
http://www.njagyouth.org/colortest.swf

Some of the contents on this site, sent in by John Lepse,
put a little strain on the "family friendly" envelope.  Use
your own judgement.   http://www.compfused.com/

Thanks Andy and John.

=================================

It's been an interesting year for me.  I keep remembering
a line from a comedy routine I heard Robin Williams do:
"Get down, get back up again"   *grin*  yeah, that's the
line, and here's one of my own:
"Life is change; change is good"
That, at least, is how it's worked for me.

I wish you the best of love and luck.  See you next time.

Don Crowder - Tuesday, June 14, 2005

9:40 AM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

The little "blurb" above will continue to appear at the end of every issue
but I won't ask for donations in my opening statement, again, until the
June 15th issue of 2006.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª