[donspatch] 2005-03-01

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:38:09 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2005-03-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

I finally bought NoteTab Pro, which I've been saying I'd do for the
last three years (shame on me) only to find that, while it's really
an awesome HTML editor and I'll love using it on my webpages,
it's got some minor differences from the costless NoteTab Light
which I've used for years.  The main difference is that NoteTab
Pro strictly uses "fixed width fonts" and my ezine font-of-choice,
Arial, isn't fixed width.  Jody Adair, the developer of NoteTab,
put it this way:

"NoteTab Standard (and Light) can show fixed and variable width
fonts but cannot display fonts with OEM character sets (like
Terminal or MS Line Draw).   On the other hand, NoteTab Pro
can display fonts with OEM character sets but does not support
variable width fonts."

For me, this means I should have purchased NoteTab Standard
instead of Pro but now that I've used it I want both so I'll just go
back and buy the Standard version (eventually *grin*) and I've
installed NoteTab Light on my new computer as well as NoteTab
Pro.  I'll use the Light version to write the ezine (which I'm doing
at this moment in fact) and the Pro version to work on my web
pages.

The job is going nicely.  My training is complete, I'm beginning to
get the hang of things and I've discovered an unexpected bonus
which comes with working nights.  I get off work at seven in the
morning and very few businesses are open yet.  I sleep from
around nine in the morning until seven in the evening (sometimes
later) so very few businesses are still open.  This means that, while
I'm making more money than I did in the supermarket, I have far
fewer opportunities to spend it so my bank balance is actually
growing every week.  It's been somewhere between twenty and
thirty years since that was true and I'm rather enjoying it.  I don't
expect it to be a permanent condition since circumstances
always seem to adjust themselves in whatever manner is required
to use up all of one's available monetary resources but I'll continue
to enjoy it while it lasts.  *grin*

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The award-winning NoteTab text editors and HTML editors.
http://www.notetab.com/

SmartView is an interesting Windows graphics viewer.
http://www.smartcode.com/products/view/view.htm

A Windows XP support site.  http://www.tweakxp.com/default.aspx

This game looks a little like "connect four" to me.
http://www.twilightgames.com/4free/4free.htm

A digital journal of speculative fiction.   http://www.twilighttimes.com/

Recipes for dog treats.  http://www.twodogpress.com/dogfood.html

U.S. Department of the Interior.   http://www.doi.gov/

The Indiana University Digital Library Program collections provide
online access to digitized materials from physical collections
that IU holds or owns, with a few exceptions that come from
several sources.   http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/

Official UK statistics.   http://www.statistics.gov.uk/

Actors and actresses who appear in or do voice-overs for British
commercials.   http://www.uktvadverts.com/Home/

A UK travel information resource.   http://www.pti.org.uk/

Goodies at Ulead.   http://www.ulead.com/download/freedownload.htm

A completely costless application for use in commercial and
non-commercial music projects and studios.  http://www.urr.ca/

The United Nations Atlas of the Oceans.   http://www.oceansatlas.org/

This one's interesting to explore but I wouldn't invest any funds.
http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

Steve Gibson's goodies.  http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

A commercial site with some resources for parents and kids.
http://www.uptoten.com/

The USDA Forrest Service.   http://www.fs.fed.us/

A useful legal resource.   http://www.uslaw.com/

Utility programs developed by Gammon Software Solutions.
http://www.gammon.com.au/utilities/utilities.htm

Some online tools for technically inclined folks who want to
fight junk email.
http://combat.uxn.com/
http://www.geektools.com/whois.php

Guideon, Dunce, and Color Picker are costless utilities from Vector
Development.   http://www.vecdev.com/

Learning about the Vendian animals.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vendian/critters.html

A Java, ASP and DHTML resource.
http://www.viewsource.dk/default.asp

A global community that integrates information, resources, and
communication opportunities on the Internet for persons with cognitive
and other disabilities, for their families, and for those that provide them
services and support.   http://www.familyvillage.wisc.edu/index.htmlx

Learn to drum.  http://www.vicfirth.com/education/educationmain.html

Singapore Science Centre.   http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/index.jsp

Virtual Institute.   http://www.allcanwin.com/vinstitute/

Virtual Stapler.   http://www.virtualstapler.com/

Who wants to dissect a frog?
http://snipurl.com/cyaw   (click on "Demo")
http://froggy.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/dissect

Less "icky" stuff about frogs.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/frogs/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I don't "do" cursors.   Animated or otherwise, the default cursor on my
system is fine with me but if you feel differently, here's an interesting
site.    http://joescursors.tripod.com/HVCurPg.htm

Here's one for serious geeks.  Visual Recurrence Analysis (VRA) is a
costless application for topological analysis, qualitative and quantitative
assessment, and nonparametric prediction of nonlinear and chaotic
time series.   http://home.netcom.com/~eugenek/download.html

This ezine is written (and mailed) as a plain text document.  To create the
online version (which is an HTML document) I use Virdi's Text2Web Pro.
http://virdi-software.com/txt2web/desc.shtml

UK technology, news, reviews and more.   http://www.vnunet.com/

VoyForums allows you to discuss topics with people of like-interests. You
can create your own Message Board or community for your friends, work,
website, school, or any other topic you want to discuss with others.
http://www.voy.com/

The Redwall Encyclopedia is a compendium of information on the books
by Brian Jacques.   http://www.sullivanet.com/redwall/

An RPG (role playing game) site.   http://www.role-playing.com

I've no idea of exactly what they mean by a "clustered" search but I did
perform a familiar search and get some previously unseen results.
http://clusty.com/

HTML validation.  http://validator.w3.org/

This is a humorous spoof that's made the rounds a few times.
http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

Have some fun with vocabulary.   http://www.vocabulary.com/

The official Cass Elliot site.   http://www.casselliot.com/

There's some interesting stuff here.  I made 16760 on Curveball.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~awol/phtml/play/

Desktop wallpaper images.   http://www.1000pictures.com/

The official 381st Bomb Group (Heavy) Memorial Association and
Triangle-L Society web site, commemorating the service of all
USAAF units assigned to Station 167 - Ridgewell, England,
during World War II.    http://381st.org/

Anime and other wallpapers.   http://es.dears.net/wallp/anime.htm

Years ago I learned enough basic to write some simple programs
for myself and my kids.  Recently I've started wondering if I could
learn a more modern programming language and I've been looking
into the possibilities.  Here are some of the more interesting
things I've found on the topic.
http://www.aplusdev.org/
http://www.codeproject.com/
http://www.codeguru.com/
http://www.erights.org/
http://www.erlang.org/
http://www.gwydiondylan.org/
http://www.netbeans.org/index.html
http://opensourcegis.org/
http://java-source.net/
http://osq.cs.berkeley.edu/
http://opl-dev.sourceforge.net/
http://www.perl.com/
http://www.phpkitchen.com/
http://python.org/
http://www.rexxla.org/
http://www.suneido.com/
http://www.sunsource.net/
http://www.tcl.tk/
http://tcl.sourceforge.net/
http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/
http://mamboserver.com/
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
http://www.programmersheaven.com/
http://www.programmingtutorials.com/

"Am I Right" is a collection of misheard lyrics and song parodies
which claims to be " making fun of music one song at a time".
http://www.amiright.com/

Checkout some amazing kids.  http://www.amazing-kids.org/

AE is a web-based community for world history, centered around
forums, which is a great place for you to learn or discuss history
and meet people.   http://www.allempires.com/

The Federation of American Scientists focuses the resources of the
scientific and technical community on critical challenges.
http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp

A place for answers.   http://www.answers.com/

 Bluetack claims to offer "news, security articles, software reviews,
guides, IP research, and the tools needed to help us keep our
connections to the net and each other secure, safe, and free from
unwanted guests.   http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php

A site dedicated to the B24 Liberator Bomber.
http://www.b24bestweb.com/

This U.S. National Park Service website is about the American
Memorial Park in Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands and features
a World War II virtual museum of B-29 bombers which operated
from Saipan And Tinian.   http://snipurl.com/d2kn

Bagism is the place for fans of John Lennon and The Beatles to
come together and learn, educate, and have fun.
http://www.bagism.com/index.html

World Edition of the BBC News.   http://news.bbc.co.uk/
(If you get the UK edition, click on "change edition".  There's also
a "Low Graphics" version available).

Among the many things to be found on the website of Edwards
Air Force Base   http://www.edwards.af.mil/index.html
is an extensive video and image gallery.
http://www.edwards.af.mil/gallery/index.html

A news site for boxing fans.   http://www.doghouseboxing.com/

Brian Wratten's poetry.
http://www.home.aone.net.au/brianrw/poetry.htm

The CDI is interesting but it's tough to describe what they do.
Here it is in their words:   http://www.cdi.org/about/index.cfm
Here's the main page.   http://www.cdi.org/index.cfm

Dale Falk was one of the lucky people who was allowed to fly
the B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator WWII bombers
operated by the Collings Foundation.  There's a collection of
information and photos on his website.
http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/bombers.html

The British Library on the web.   http://www.bl.uk/

Classical music rendered in midi files.
http://www.kunstderfuge.com/
http://www.gressus.se/chopin/midi/chopin.html
http://www.rpajares.net/

For years I subscribed to one or another newspaper but it
eventually became too expensive.  What I miss the most
from the newspaper is the comics.  I did some research on
reading comics online.  Some of the results I got were for
comic books but, as a kid, I enjoyed those too so here's
a diverse collection of comic-related sites.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/
http://www.userfriendly.org/static/
http://www.comicsworthreading.com/
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/
http://www.comictreadmill.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~joesarno/tvcomics/index.htm
http://www.members.shaw.ca/creatingcomics/writers.html
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/
http://www.keenspot.com/
http://www.kevinandkell.com/
http://www.offthemark.com/main.htm
http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/index.php
http://superman.ws/superman-comics/
http://www.cvil.wustl.edu/~gary/ElfSquad/squad_main.html
http://www.zortic.com/d/20000327.html
http://www.zoomgraphics.com/Comics/index.html
http://www.zortic.com/

Medical information which is primarily intended for young people.
http://www.coolnurse.com/index.htm

An unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed
Services.   http://www.diggerhistory.info/

News/Information sites, various spins.
http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.conservativeforum.org/default.asp
http://www.dumbentia.com/
http://www.factsquad.org/
http://funferal.org/
http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/index.html
http://www.iran-daily.com
http://www.mediamouse.org/static/
http://www.nature.com/news/index.html
http://www3.niu.edu/newsplace/
http://www.public-action.com/
http://www.slate.com/Default.aspx
http://www.thebluebrick.net/
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/
http://www.cyber-nation.com/index.html
http://www.weeklystandard.com/default.asp
http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/index.php

Emergency information (many topics, including computers).
http://www.emergency.com/

Dave's Collected Quotations.   http://www.theprawn.com/quotes/

fascinating facts and objects at National Museums Liverpool (UK).
http://www.diduknow.info/

A constantly growing collection of  light-hearted looks at current
events, pop culture, movies, history, science, evil penguins, and
whatever else happens to catch their fancy.
http://www.davidszondy.com/index.htm

Funny poetry.   http://www.ddaze.com/index.html

Downhill Battle is a non-profit organization working to support
participatory culture and build a fairer music industry.
http://www.downhillbattle.org/

EFF is a nonprofit group of passionate lawyers, technologists,
volunteers, and visionaries who're working to protect your digital
rights.   http://www.eff.org/

The Dr. Seuss web page from the Center For Seussian Studies.
http://www.seuss.org/seuss/seuss.home.html

A digital film geek who's having some success.
http://dreamland-digital.com/

An official UK emergency preparedness site.
http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/
An unofficial parody of the same site.
http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/

An interesting online face maker.
http://avsquad.fateback.com/facemaker/index.html

A comic strip that was "born" within a comic strip.
http://www.lil-abner.com/fosdick.html

A magazine for aviation enthusiasts.
http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/index.asp

An ad supported online games site (with at least one pop-up).
http://www.freeonlinegames.com/

Freshmeat maintains the Web's largest index of Unix and
cross-platform software (Windows, for example), themes and
related "eye-candy", and Palm OS software. Thousands of
applications, which are preferably released under an open
source license, are meticulously cataloged in the freshmeat
database, and links to new applications are added daily.  Each
entry provides a description of the software, links to download it
and to obtain more information, and a history of the project's
releases, so readers can keep up-to-date on the latest
developments.    http://freshmeat.net/

 ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 277.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A collection of video game music in midi format.
http://www.apexcorp.com/~rvhorn/assimilate/

Gun control is a very sensitive issue.  Despite that truth, the
owners of this site have very strong opinions which they've
chosen to demonstrate with parody.  Some of it is very
funny.   http://www.guncontrolnetwork.org/gcn1.htm

H. Churchyard's miscellaneous web projects.
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

Everything you need to know about how to be happy (yeah,
right).   http://www.drkenner.com/index.html

A cute spoof.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/7028/hasta.htm

The Internet African American History Challenge.
http://www.brightmoments.com/blackhistory/

History through the eyes of those who lived it.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html

A musician's portal site.   http://www.hitsquad.com/

This old house online.  http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/home

A collection of consumer resource pages from Hormel.
http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/seasonedInsight.asp
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp
http://snipurl.com/d3df
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/recipe.asp
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/favorites.asp?favoriteid=1

A resource for small, independent, religious groups
http://www.hccentral.com/index.html
a site for the non-religious persons
http://www.infidels.org/index.shtml
and another strongly religious site.
http://www.tektonics.org/

For anyone who dislikes clowns.   http://www.ihateclowns.com/

Imagine the Universe, for students age 14 and up, and for
anyone interested in learning about our universe.
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/

An art resource from Princeton online.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

Whoa!  Checkout some awesome images.
http://www.irtc.org/

A collection of "old fashioned" (non-computer) games.
http://www.invisible-city.com/play/

Jen Wolfe is a bassist in a Twee (a type of rock-and-roll) band
and a cataloging librarian.  I've no precise idea of exactly what
constitutes a "cataloging librarian" but her site was interesting
to explore.   http://www.jenw.org/index.htm

Judi's Photo Journey.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jxnfan1/index.html

A charity portal.  http://www.justgiving.com/default.asp

Kathy Mattea's official website.  http://www.mattea.com/

Kevin's Woodturnings.  http://www.turnedwood.com/index.shtml

Remember Shazam!, Isis, Land of the Lost, Electra Woman and
Dyna Girl or Ark II?  This site's ambition is to cover all of the 70s
live action kids shows.    http://www.70slivekidvid.com

Building plans for some awesome kites.
http://www.freespiritkites.com/pages/plan.htm

Who'd have thought there were so many collectibles which relate
to Jim Henson's Muppets?
http://www.kermitage.com/html/collectibles/index.html

The Kutriguri is a group devoted to the study of Hunno-Bulgar culture
and involvement in Hunno-Bulgar sport. Emphasis is on the identity
 of nomadic horsemen living in the Balkan Peninsula during the reign
of Kana  Subigi Omurtag (around 819-820 AD.).
http://www.kutriguri.com/index.html

A site for hardware and Linux.   http://www.linuxelectrons.com/

A nice collection of midi files.   http://home.pacbell.net/lcng/

This site is about the costumes worn in the Lord of the Rings
movie.   http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

Women and International Migration.
http://www.stolaf.edu/depts/womens-studies/ws399/ws399_03/
Cross Cultural and International Feminisms.
http://www.stolaf.edu/depts/womens-studies/ws399/ws399_04/

Integer Jim's Math Squad.   http://www.mathsquad.com/

Culture and Society of México.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad/scmfaq/homepage.html

A few more sites which offer midi files.
http://www.primeshop.com/midilist.htm
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/midi.htm
http://www.botproductions.com/music/music.html
http://www.ettnet.se/~tradare/mid/mid.html
http://www.hyperborea.org/midi/
http://parlorsongs.com/

Airshows and Military aircraft.
http://www.sky-flash.com/index.htm

Worldwide data on minerals, mineral localities and other
mineralogical information.   http://www.mindat.org/

The town of Moosburg a.d. Isar in Bavaria, Germany.
http://www.moosburg.org/indeng.html

A sports news site.  http://www.mopsquad.com/

Have you ever heard of Moron Salt?
http://www.moronsalt.com/

Mousebreaker; ad supported online games.
http://www.mousebreaker.com/

I've been hearing more and more about Firefox.  Maybe it's
time to give it a try.   http://www.mozilla.org/

Combating serious and organized crime in England and Wales.
http://www.nationalcrimesquad.police.uk/

U.S. military NCOs online.  http://www.ncoteam.org/

New York City photo galleries.
http://www.readio.com/newyorkphotos/xwindows2.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A Nickelodeon fan site.   http://www.nickdisk.co.uk/index.html

A page devoted to Nicholas Lea, best known for portraying Agent Alex
Krycek on THE X-Files.   http://www.nicklea.com/

The unofficial Nicole Sullivan tribute page.
http://www.nic0lesullivan.org/nicolesullivantop.html

The North Star claims to be a site dedicated to teachers, families,
students, lifelong learners and those brave enough to follow their
dreams.   http://www.fablevision.com/northstar/

Kids taking action for greener, healthier schools.
http://www.nrdc.org/greensquad/intro/intro_1.asp

The New-York Historical Society.   http://www.nyhistory.org/

A site that's devoted to old poets.   http://oldpoetry.com/

An unofficial Orlando Bloom fansite.
http://www.theorlandobloomfiles.com/

Here's a hot site.  http://www.pepperfool.com/

A community photolog.  http://www.pixelpile.org/

Popular Woodworking magazine.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/

The Persistence of Vision Raytracer is a high-quality, totally free
tool for creating stunning three-dimensional graphics. It is
available in official versions for Windows, Mac OS/Mac OS X
and i86 Linux.   http://www.povray.org/

Crime culture.  http://www.crimeculture.com/index.html

quality information for publishers, authors, editors, web masters,
and freelance writers.   http://www.publaw.com/index.html

A collection of more than 100 quilt blocks, directions for drafting
templates, simple patterns and ideas and lots more.
http://www.quilters-haven.com/index.html

The Internet FAQ Archives.   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

A language arts site for readers and teachers.
http://www.readwritethink.org/index.asp

A site for reality TV fans.   http://www.realitytvworld.com/

A couple of interesting recipe collections.
http://www.davidscooking.com/recipes/recipeindex.html
http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/

The Official Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Website.
http://www.royrogers.com/

The Royal Timeline of Oz.
http://www.timelineuniverse.net/Oz/Introduction.htm

There's a huge amount of interesting information to explore on
this website dedicated to the U.S. Strategic Air Command.
http://www.strategic-air-command.com/

The SARS art project.   http://www.sarsart.org/

Sawdust Making 101:  A guide for the beginning woodworker.
http://sawdustmaking.com/

As nearly as I can tell, this site seems to revolve around
comic books.   http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/default.asp

Despite lawsuits and frequent protests from media concerns of
every description, file sharing, via the internet, is here to stay.
http://www.shareaza.com/

The Simpsons Addiction.
http://www.tsa.blockoland.com/index.php

A couple of apps from Evan Reynolds.
http://www.evan.org/Software.html

Information on ancient Sparta, and to a lesser extent, the ancient
Greek military as a whole.
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~sparta/index.html

This looks like a good resource for your children/grandchildren.
http://www.startsquad.com/

Academics studying the athletic and campus apparel industry.
http://cbae.nmsu.edu/~dboje/nike/nikemain1.html

Online Study Guide Repository.
http://www.studyworld.com/index.htm

Advertising in magazines is based on the fact that under any
circumstances, you store more information in a fraction of a
second (and are influenced by it) than you are ever consciously
aware of.   http://www.poleshift.org:16080/sublim/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Taunton publishers has websites for each of their magazines.
http://www.taunton.com/index.asp

Poems, stories and random words.
http://tenderbytes.net/index.html

The Pole Shift Forum's purpose is to stimulate critical thought
about a controversial subject.   http://www.poleshift.org/ps/

A search engine for quotations.  http://en.thinkexist.com/

For fans of the defunct TV series "Thirtysomething".
http://www.thirdstory.com/thirtysomething/index.htm

A site filled with history and images relating to the U.S.
Air Force.   http://www.usaf.com/index2.htm
Tip:  There's a flash banner on the page which you can
kill by right clicking on the banner and right clicking on
"play".

A site dedicated to sharing the history of the Women Airforce
Service Pilots of World War II, and shining a light on the
inspirational stories of their lives before, during and after WWII.
http://www.wasp-wwii.org/wasp/home.htm

A wealth of information on the Turkic world.
http://www.sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/turkicsite.htm

The unofficial Weird Al show home page.
http://www.ritachu.com/altv.php

Women in Country music.  http://www.womenofcountry.com/

How Ordinary Scots in bygone days found out what was
happening.   http://www.nls.uk/broadsides/index.html

Aircraft of  WWI.   http://www.wwiaviation.com/toc.shtml

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The CIA World Factbook.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Endangered Species.   http://www.endangeredspecie.com/

Cuban genealogy.   http://www.cubagenweb.org/index.htm

An information site about India.   http://64.239.149.251/

A fact a day.   http://www.factme.com/

Population Growth and Balance.
http://www.arcytech.org/java/population/index.html

Interesting facts on volcanoes.   http://snipurl.com/d3ku

James Yolkowski's interesting facts.
http://www.sentex.net/~ajy/facts/

Interesting facts about Louisana.
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/around/facts/facts-index.htm

This is a collection of numbers relevant to computers, along
with references which serves as a "Computer Almanac".
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~bam/numbers/

A wealth of data on Monarch butterflies.
http://home.wi.rr.com/monarchraising/

Useless Fact of the Day.
Flash version.   http://www.ufotd.com/new/
HTML version.   http://www.ufotd.com/index_html.php

The University of North Dakota's Volcano World.
http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vw.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

============== Humor =============
From a reader named Andy:

A new young monk arrives at the monastery and, as with all
new monks, he is assigned to help the other monks in copying
the old canons and laws of the church by hand.  He notices,
however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not
from the original manuscript.  The new monk goes to the head
abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even
a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up.  In
fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent
copies.  The head monk says, "We have been copying from
the copies for centuries, but you make a good point my son."
so he goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery
where the original manuscript is held as archives in a locked
vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years.  Hours go
by and nobody sees the old abbot.  The young monk gets
worried and goes downstairs to look for him.

He finds the abbot banging his head against the wall, wailing,
"We forgot the "R"!  We forgot the "R"!  His forehead is all
bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.  The
young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?"
With a choking voice, the old abbot replies,
"The word is celebrate!"

==============

Andy also sent this link to a cursor-following clock that
appears in one place or another, every so often, on the web.
http://www.suite101.com/files/mysites/AskAlice/Clock.htm

Thanks Andy.

============== Tips ===============

In a recent thread of the Highland Lakes Computer Club's excellent
Yahoo group I learned that it's not enough to delete files from your
old computer before disposing of it (or giving it away).  Read this
article:   http://www.nbc5i.com/specialreports/4186699/detail.html
You should also spend some time reading and researching on
this site.   http://www.killdisk.com/

A Google search located a Sourceforge product
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
and another product for persons who aren't using Windows.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jeraser/

There's a lot of Windows information, tips, and tricks on Bob
Cerelli's  site.   http://www.onecomputerguy.com/

Help2go, computer problem solvers.
http://www.help2go.com/index.php

=================================

It's been a real treat putting this issue together on my new computer.
I've had a dozen or more websites open along with NoteTab, one or
more folders, and Outlook Express without having to deal with the
computer freezing up.  I could get used to this.  *grin*

See you next time.

Don Crowder - Monday, February 28, 2005

10:58 AM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª