[donspatch] 2005-02-15

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:52:34 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2005-02-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

I'm sure enjoying my new computer.  Wow, what a difference it makes
to have enough RAM and a newer/better modem.  The speed of my
dial-up connection is almost twice what it was with my old computer.
I won't pretend to know why that's true, when the old computer has
a 56k modem in it too, but I do like it, you bet!

I'm also enjoying my new job with Town & Country convenience-
based retailers.  I've managed to learn most of my duties well enough
but it's been a real challenge learning to prepare pastries every night.
Each of the pastries is, to varying degrees, prefabricated so I don't
have to start from raw ingredients but I do bake and glaze several
dozen assorted donuts, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and filled pastries
each night.  The real challenge has been decorating some of the
cookies and donuts.  I'm no artist, but the company doesn't specify
what sort of decoration is required and my friend Lisa Miller helped
me learn how to produce attractive patterned decorations that don't
require much artistic ability.

Enough babbling, time to get started on another issue.  Here we go.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

James A. Eshelman's list of favorite costless apps.
http://www.winsupportcenter.com/freeware/freeware.htm

A few of these pdf documents offered by the American Council of
Learned Societies look like interesting reading.
http://www.acls.org/aclspubs.htm

Interesting facts about Connecticut.
http://www.ct.gov/ctportal/cwp/view.asp?a=843&q=246434

This site belongs to a black homosexual man.  If you have no problems
with that, it's worth a visit.  http://after-words.org/

As a Windows user who'd like to switch to Linux, I enjoy reading the
views of others.  This page is a little too deep for me in places but
interesting reading all the same.
http://alan.blog-city.com/read/1031991.htm

The American Chemical Society.
http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/home.html

An ad supported but potentially interesting site.
http://www.amusingfacts.com/

An archive of email forwards.   http://bl.net/forwards/

Recipes for home-made bread.   http://breadnet.net/

An ad supported portal aimed at young people.
http://www.buzzle.com/

Caveman Chemistry is a hands-on projects in chemical
technology.   http://cavemanchemistry.com/

Experiencing chemistry.   http://www.omsi.edu/visit/chemistry/

Canada's supersite for the nonprofit sector.
http://www.charityvillage.com/CV/main.asp

The periodic table of the elements.  http://www.webelements.com/
Another version and a humorous list of "rejected elements".
http://periodictable.com/pages/AAE__chemistHOME.html

A diverse collection of news sites.
http://www.csmonitor.com/
http://news.com.com/
http://www.countryworldnews.com/index.html
http://www.infoworld.com/
http://www.infotoday.com/default.shtml

Cowboy related stuff.
http://cyberrodeo.com/guysgals/cb7.htm
http://www.cow-boy.com/index.htm
http://www.cowboydirectory.com/

A very nice text editor.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/index.html

Educational Java programs.  http://www.arcytech.org/java/java.shtml

A gateway to hundreds of web sites and thousands of online
documents on energy efficiency and renewable energy.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/

Resources for those with a disability or special health care need
(portal).   http://www.eparent.com/resources/default.htm

For a couple of years, my FTP client of choice was WS_FTP_LE
(the costless version of WS_FTP) but it's been discontinued so I
had to find another costless FTP client.  FileZilla answered all my
needs beautifully.   http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

I don't care much for freebies sites but there's some good information
on this one.   http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/

Recipes for people with a food allergy or food allergies.
http://www.foodyoucaneat.com/food/default.asp

Resources on food intolerance.
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/index.html

The Pratt family allergy free cookbook and resources.
http://www.fastq.com/%7Ejbpratt/recipes/allergiesintol/main.html

A fairly extensive, ad supported, food resource site.
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/

An Australian site that offers international recipes.
http://fooddownunder.com/

Free range activism (seems a little tongue in cheek to me).
http://www.fraw.org.uk/index.shtml

Some nice utilities from Moonsoftware.  In particular, I like CopyURL
and Filenote.   http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp

Ok, I'm a Google fan, I admit it, but check out all the cool things you
can do with Google.  http://www.google.com/help/features.html

The History Channel's online classroom.
http://www.historychannel.com/classroom/classroom.html

RegSeeker, from HoverDesk, is a very good Windows utility.
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Do you need a "heavy duty", PC based, Fax machine?
http://www.hylafax.org/

Each of these sites offers additional insight into the Iditarod.
http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/iditarod.html
http://library.thinkquest.org/11313/Iditarod/?tqskip1=1
http://www.alexandriacentral.org/cove/iditarod.html
http://www.alaskanet.com/Tourism/Activities/iditarod/history.html
http://www.ak.blm.gov/ado/inht3.html
http://www.alaskan.com/docs/started.html
http://www.helpsleddogs.org/remarks-iditarodhistory.htm
http://www.iditarodnationalmillenniumtrail.com/history.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Institute of Food Research.
http://www.ifr.bbsrc.ac.uk/default.html

Transcription of a theological lecture on the topic of "Sola Scriptura".
http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~jad/glb_sola.html
Additional theological reading, from the same author, can be found
here:  http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~jad/articles.html
and here:  http://www.vantil.info/

Their English grammar might not be the best but there's some
interesting reading on this page of a website which purports to
be a Malaysian legal resource.
http://www.lawyerment.com.my/facts/

Information on wheat-free, milk-free, parenting, humor, writing,
gardening, HTML, Science Fiction, genealogy, astronomy and
horses on Linda Blanchard's site.   http://www.nowheat.com/

Medgadget.com is a weblog of the latest medical gadgets
and technologies.   http://www.medgadget.com/

Optobionics is developing an artificial retina and related devices to
restore vision for individuals afflicted with retinitis pigmentosa,
age-related macular degeneration and other outer retinal diseases
that can lead to blindness.   http://www.optobionics.com/

Dow Corning offers you all sorts of goodies if you register with
them.  Maybe I'm just a cynic, but my email address is too high
a price for information, no matter how useful it might be.
http://www.dowcorning.com/_mem_bin/membership/membership.asp

Metric conversions online.  http://www.metric-conversions.org/

A nice collection of facts about nuts and candy.
http://www.thenutfactory.com/kitchen/facts.html

Planetpals are eco-friendly, educational cartoon characters.
http://www.planetpals.com/

Rambooster is a useful utility for Windows 95/98.
http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/index.html

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I expect I'll find some humor, for
this issue, on this site.   http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 277
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A potentially useful icon manager.  http://www.sillysot.com/

ICQLaunch is a utility program that allows users with multiple
ICQ accounts registered on their machines to create Start
Menu and/or Desktop shortcuts which can specify which
account to load into ICQ, regardless of which account was
last opened.   http://icqlaunch.da.ru/

IECookiesView is a small utility which displays details of all the
cookies Internet Explorer has stored on your computer and
permits supervisory control.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iecookies.html
Nirsoft offers many more utilities as well.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

More food and recipe sites.
http://www.hub-uk.com/index.html
http://www.recipenet.org/health/main.htm
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/
http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/
http://wheatfreeliving.com/
http://www.wheat-free.org/

An interesting archive of images relating to commercial
food products targeted at kids.
http://theimaginaryworld.com/kidsgrid.html

Inetis offers some interesting utilities.
http://www.inetis.com/freeware.asp

Utilities from Rekenwonder.
http://www.rekenwonder.com/index.htm

Science articles, science, nature poems, science news,
world time zones   http://www.firstscience.com/SITE/home.asp

A science search engine.  http://www.science-search.org/

A site for serious scientists.  http://www.selectscience.net/

Search & Replace is a costless text utility which permits full text
search in Html, Rtf, Pdf, WinWord, Excel and many other
file formats.  This utility can replace words over many text files in
one step and saves search parameters, and results, in a database.
http://www.inforapid.com/html/searchreplace.htm

InstallWatch is an accurate, easy to use, tool which documents
changes made to your PC when installing/removing software,
hardware, or making configuration changes.
http://www.installwatch.com/products.html#InstallWatch%20Basic

A small and useful color utility.
http://eyedropper.inetia.com/

Shakespeare Is Elementary (an educational site).
http://www.cps.ednet.ns.ca/shakespeare.htm

Chains of music from The Covers Project.
http://www.coversproject.com/

A most merrie and illustrated history of the gunfight at the
OK corral.   http://members.aol.com/ChipCooper/okcorral.html

History of the American cowboy.
http://www.texiancowboy.com/dawn/page1.htm

Susan Ray Brown's salt rising bread project.
http://web.mountain.net/~petsonk/SRB05a.htm

Interesting information on Western Newfoundland.
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ae050/Profile.html

If you want a quick and easy way to print multiple digital camera
photos on a single sheet of paper, try the Iomega Photo Printer.
http://www.netoffices.com/articles/software/iomegaphoto.htm

Windows goodies from JAM.  http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

Costless apps from Jan Verhoeven.   http://jansfreeware.com/

The museum of musical instruments.
http://www.themomi.org/museum/index2.html

A day in the life, more or less.  A simulator.
http://conceptlab.com/simulator/

The skeptic's dictionary.   http://skepdic.com/

Jenny Levine is a librarian.  This is her blog.
http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/

Web development goodies.  http://www.thesitewizard.com/

The Lab is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's gateway to
science.   http://www.abc.net.au/science/
(I very much enjoyed reading about the two sides of the moon)

Patrick Douglas Crispen's extensive dictionary of Southern words.
http://netsquirrel.com/crispen/word.html

A sugar packet collector's page.
http://the.millerfamily.name/sugar/

A collection of interesting, topical websites.
http://www.mybestlife.com/eng_body.htm

A technical support and information resource.
http://www.thetechboard.com/

An award-winning site where theme park visitors rate, review and
discuss attractions, hotels and restaurants at the world's most
popular theme parks.   http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

An online Theology library from Spring Hill College of Mobile,
Alabama.    http://www.shc.edu/theolibrary/

This Amercan Life is a very good public radio program
http://www.thislife.org/

The Thrilling Detective site.   http://www.thrillingdetective.com/

A very nice gardening site from the UK.
http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/

Create your own small jigsaw puzzles a couple of ways.
http://www.tibo.cz/oc/
http://www.tibosoftware.com/jppcreator.htm

Time magazine online.    http://www.time.com/time/
Time's kids site.   http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/

All about time.   http://www.timeanddate.com/

The time zone converter.  http://www.timezoneconverter.com/

There's plenty to explore on Arne Heizmann's site.
http://www.lionking.org/~timwi/

Create your own webtiles, online (requires Shockwave).
http://www.tilemachine.com/

Guitarists can learn about "stomp-boxes" (sound effects pedals)
on this site.    http://www.tonefrenzy.com/

Many programmers, and computer users, feel that "smaller is
better" when it comes to useful utilities.
http://www.tinyapps.org/index.html

Here's one for serious technophiles.  TinyWeb is extremely small,
simple, and fast Win32 daemon for regular TCP/http and secure
SSL/TLS/https web servers.
http://www.ritlabs.com/tinyweb/index.html

Gary Straub's woodworking tips.
http://snipurl.com/crea

This site is dedicated to the most common errors found among
speakers of Spanish who are learning English.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/espanglishtips/

An ad-supported guide to computer hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/

TONIC is an easy-to-understand, practical guide to using the Internet
(registration required).   http://www.netskills.ac.uk/onlinecourses/tonic/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This site seems to be ad supported and has a few pop-ups but the
information they present, on absurd patents, is interesting.
http://totallyabsurd.com/index.htm

Plenty of folks dislike the U.S. President but very few of them have
more fun doing so than the owner of this site.
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.com/

Would you like to become a famous trivia expert?
http://www.lightfantastic.org/topnoggin/

An extensive database on things-toxic.
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

Kids site from the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/adv/kidspage/

Trade journals for the recycling industry.
http://www.recyclingtoday.com/
http://www.recyclinginternational.com/

Vintage woodworking tips.
http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/1395/tips.html

Costless, online courses in Computer and Internet Technology.
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/vision2learn/e-learning.html
http://www.trainingtools.com/

This site makes it easy to transfer files to your web server.
Mostly it is useful for sites like FlamingText.com and
ImageBot.com to send generated images to another server
(such as your web server or ftp server). This is particularly
useful for WebTV users who can't save images on their
own machine.    http://www.transloader.com/

A new take on an older computer game.
http://www.kraisoft.com/arcade-games/trashkiller/index.htm

The makers of Lifesavers candy have a nice collection of
online games.    http://www.candystand.com/

A possible genealogy resource.   http://www.tribalpages.com/

The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
http://www.ajtmh.org/

Don Bain's Virtual Guidebooks.  http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/

The Volvo ocean race.   http://www.volvooceanrace.org/

A tool for web designers who wish to test their sites for compatibility
with WebTV.   http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/WebTVVwr.asp

This writer seems to enjoy playing with words.
http://www.wordspy.com/index.asp

Artist Roger Brown.  http://www.rogerbrown-artist.com/index.html

If you haven't really checked out dmoz (pronounce it "Dee-moz")
you should but be warned, it's a "bring your lunch" project.
http://dmoz.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Kids stuff from Aurelio's Pizza.
http://www.aureliospizza.com/JustForKids/Overview.htm

LJConfig 1.2 allows you to easily modify the settings of
supported HP LaserJet printers.
http://www.victechsoftware.com/ljconfig.html

The Beak of the Finch : A story of evolution in our time.
http://www.2think.org/tbotf.shtml

Knowledgehound is like a search engine for how-to
information.  http://www.knowledgehound.com

A popular editor with code and html writers.
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human
genome by honoring those who accidentally kill themselves
in really stupid ways.    http://www.darwinawards.com

A pair of potentially useful pages on the Microsoft web site.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techenthusiast/tricks/default.asp

The digital art of Lou Van Delft.
http://www.digitalartist.ca/galleryx1.html

Have you ever wanted more control of Macromedia Flash?
http://www.flashswitch.com/

Sometimes it's necessary to convert text to an image in order to
assure it will look the same in all browsers.
http://www.dehelp.com/f2g.html

There's a great deal to explore on this site owned by James A. Smith
of Honolulu, Hawaii.   http://www.jastek.net/

A source of high-powered, high-tech information as well as vintage
browsers.   http://www.evolt.org/

JPlayer is a 100% pure Java audio player compatible with any
operating system (Windows, Unix, Solaris, Linux, etc) with
Java Runtime Environment 1.3 or higher installed.
http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/jplayer/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I've mentioned Karen Kenworthy's site before, and I'll mention it
again and again.  Check it out.   http://www.karenware.com/

Have you ever been disconnected by your ISP while you were online
but not active for 10 or 15 minutes? If your answer is yes, you might
find this program useful.  http://www.pclightning.com/kpalive.html

 KeyNote is a tree-based information manager, Oubliette is a
lightweight, secure password manager; and KookieJar is a random
signature generator for email and news.
http://www.tranglos.com/free/freeware.html

K-Meleon is an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web
browser for the win32 (Windows) platform.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

A few "goodies" from KT2000.  http://www.kt2k.com/software.php

Three interesting apps from   Kurtz-Fernhout.
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/products.htm

An online multilingual dictionary.  http://www.langtolang.com/

Who wants to learn Esperanto?
http://www.cursodeesperanto.com.br/bazo/index.html?en

LaTeX is the de facto standard for the communication and publication
of scientific documents.    http://www.latex-project.org/

Legendary Tales RPG (Role Playing Game).
http://www.legendarytales.com/

This web site is the home of Leeos software.
http://www.leeos.com/

LeoCAD is a CAD program that uses bricks similar to those found in
many toys (but they don't represent any particular brand). Currently
it has a library of more than 1000 different pieces.
http://www.leocad.org/

The University of North Texas Music Library's launch site for jazz
research.   http://www.library.unt.edu/music/links/jazz.htm

A potentially useful digital photo resource.
http://dpfwiw.com/index.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center.
http://neic.usgs.gov/

A list of useful and not-so-useful Palm/Visor programs.
http://www.usd.edu/anth/Palm/index2.html

Trout's GIF Optimizer shrinks GIFs without any noticeable reduction
of picture quality.   http://chemware.co.nz/tgo.htm

A site full of eclectic and diverse things to explore.
http://www.turbulence.org/

The first time I heard the phrase "liquid web design" I had no idea
what it meant.  After I explored the topic I liked the notion a lot
and I still do.  It's worth reading about.
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/liquid_web_design/
I don't doubt that a great deal more interesting reading is also
available here.   http://www.digital-web.com/

A collection of sites that relate,
in one way or another, to television.
http://www.televisiontoys.com/
http://www.tv-now.com/
http://www.mtr.org/
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/
http://www.nmpft.org.uk/
http://www.tvguide.com/
http://tv.yahoo.com/
http://www.emmys.org/
http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/
http://www.tvhistory.tv/
http://www.parentstv.org/
http://www.w3.org/TV/    (I hope this happens someday)
http://www.academy.ca/
http://www.bafta.org/
http://www.aftra.org/aftra/aftra.htm
http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/
http://home.howstuffworks.com/tv.htm
http://www.atsc.org/
http://www.tvweek.com/
http://www.mztv.com/
http://members.allstream.net/~antenna1/Baird.html
http://www.tve.org/
http://www.pbs.org/
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/
http://www.tenlab.com/worldtv.htm

============== Humor =============

An old joke (from the Cold War days).

A Russian party-official arrives late at night to his hotel (in Russia).
He is not surprised to find that his reservation has been mislaid but
he is more than a little peeved that his status in the party isn't
enough to get him a good room anyway.  However, the clerk
insists, the only bed they have left is the fourth bunk in a 4-bed
dorm and he'll have to make do with that.  The Russian grumbles
but eventually he picks up his suitcase and heads for the dorm.
On his way, he meets a chamber-maid and thinking he might as
well try to make friends with his room-mates, he asks her to
bring them four cups of tea.   As he enters the dorm, he finds
that the other three guests are Polish, they are having a fairly
wild party and they're very drunk.  They also ignore him totally
from the moment he enters.   After sitting there for several
minutes, he realizes he can't stand them anymore and decides
to pull a joke on them.   He stands up, grasps a floor lamp and
speaking into the light-bulb as if it were a microphone he says:
"Comrade Colonel, we would like four cups of tea to our room
immediately!" The Poles stare at him in disbelief, which turns
to horror as the chamber-maid knocks on the door and delivers
the tea a few minutes later. In about 30 seconds the Poles have
all packed their bags and fled the hotel.    Our Russian gets the
entire room to himself. He sleeps very soundly.

The next morning, however, as he's checking out and is about
to leave, the desk-clerk calls after him:   "By the way, Sir, the
Comrade Colonel said to tell you he appreciated your little joke
last night!"

=================================

My friend Eddie Akaye recently sent me some interesting links.

Bart's PE Builder helps you build a "BartPE" (Bart Preinstalled
Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the
original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup
CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Michael Horowitz tells you how to remove unwanted stuff from
your computer.
http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/removespyware.html

Steve Friedl's Unixwiz.net Tech Tips
"So you want to be a consultant?   "
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/be-consultant.html

Thanks Eddie.

=================================

This is a fairly good sized issue because I was off work
the 14th and I've been at it all night.  I find that keeping
to the same waking/sleeping schedule, on my day off,
makes it easier to cope with working the night shift.  A
couple of hours from now I'll be asleep.  My alarm is set
for 6:00 PM.  When I wake up, Lisa and I will cook
ourselves some supper (we enjoy cooking together) and
get ready for work tomorrow evening.  She works the
night shift in the convenience store across the street
from where I work so we normally car-pool.

As always, I had fun putting this issue together and
managed to learn one or two things and let me tell
you, my new computer has been terrific.  All I ask of
a computer is that it be faster than me and while I
know that may not be difficult, this computer has
done a superlative job of it.  I'm a happy camper.
*grin*   See you next time.

Don Crowder - Monday, February 14, 2004

8:34 AM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª