[donspatch] 2004-11-01

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:35:57 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2004-11-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Who'd have thought that supermarket stockers have to work so
hard?  I've got aching muscles all over my body, but there's an
up side.  I quit smoking two months ago and was very worried
that I'd gain weight.  I do seem to be hungry all the time but
the new job has burned off enough calories to keep me from
gaining weight.  Cigarettes are expensive so I ought to have more
money in my pocket but so far I've just spent all my "extra" money
on food.  *grin*  Life is change, change is good, especially spare
change.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Could you use a sophisticated way to track your computer usage?
http://scitechconcept.com/glint.html

Explore some interesting software, graphics, and or music.
http://www.axiomx.com/index.htm

An interesting site with a Christian "spin".
http://www.barborsoftware.com/download.html

If you're afflicted with the desire to know as much as possible
about your computer, the Belarc Advisor is a tool you should
have.  Here's what the web site says about it:  The Belarc
Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and
hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results
in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept
private on your PC and is not sent to any web server."
A similar, less extensive but more complicated, application.
 http://benchmarks.dacris.com/lite.htm

Take personal control of whatever's running on your computer.
http://www.blehq.org/pv2k.html

Bluefive looks to be worth exploring.
http://bluefive.pair.com/free95.htm

While this site is somewhat commercial you may still find it
to be of interest.  http://www.allyourrooms.com/

A few links that may be of interest to persons who's diet is
dictated by allergies.
http://www.allergy.org.nz/kidszone/recipe/
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/19990401teencook.asp
http://www.foodallergy.org/index.html
http://www.foodyoucaneat.com/food/default.asp
http://www.foodallergyinitiative.org/
http://www.allrecipes.com/directory/31.ASP
http://www.livingwithout.com/welcome.htm
http://www.wheat-free.org/index.html
http://www.whfoods.com/

An interesting food site.  http://whatscookingamerica.net/

A web portal that might be worth exploring.
http://www.buzzle.com/

Every news source seems to have one sort of spin or another.
This site is no different but it looks interesting anyway.
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/

This commercial site offers promotions, contests, and
consumer information.  http://www.dialcorp.com/

A useful graphics tool.  http://chemware.co.nz/tgo.htm

A site for history buffs.  http://www.historywiz.org/

Homemakers may enjoy this.  http://www.homemakingcottage.com/

Commercial sites with some info for homeowners.
http://www.myhouseandgarden.com/
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/

I hate cleaning stuff, don't you?  Still, sometimes it has to be done
and it's nice to find a source of helpful tips and information.
http://www.queenofclean.com/

Resources for pregnancy and parenting.
http://www.thelaboroflove.com/index.shtml

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Artist David Aronson lives and works in the Philadelphia area.
http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/

Alzheimer's Outreach; information, education, and caregiving.
http://www.zarcrom.com/users/alzheimers/index.html

If you still don't have an AV applications on your system, come on,
get with it, it needn't cost you anything after all.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Computer based language translation is awfully quirky and the meaning
of things often gets distorted or warped but babelfish is still the best
thing available in most instances.  http://world.altavista.com/

The Design Technology Department offers some online reading.
http://www.design-technology.org/

Random interesting math facts.
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/do_you_know/index.shtml

I remembered a reference to a "Frumious Bandersnatch" in something
I'd read but couldn't recall what it was or where I saw it so I went looking
for it on the web and found this satirical news site.
http://www.bandersnatch.com/
I also learned that "Frumious Bandersnatch" came from the
Jabberwocky poem in Lewis Carroll's tale of "Through the Looking-Glass
and What Alice Found There" (1872).
http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html
Carroll's book, and many others, are available online from Project
Gutenberg.  http://www.gutenberg.org/
Lots of interesting information on Carroll's book is also available
here:  http://www.lewiscarroll.org/pop.html

Worthwhile publications and information.
 http://hdr.undp.org/default.cfm

A nice page of web-dev resources from Hypergurl.
http://www.hypergurl.com/easyhtml.html

Off-the-wall reading matter.  http://www.lewrockwell.com/

There's a wealth of interesting reading matter on this library site
from Canada.  http://www.collectionscanada.ca/topics/index-e.html

Here's a good alternative to Hotmail or Yahoo for online email.
http://home.myway.com/

A domain concentrating specifically on medieval & Renaissance
food & cookery. http://www.godecookery.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 265.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My two favorite learning resources for HTML.
http://www.w3schools.com/
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html

My favorite CSS resource.
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html

An interesting informational site with a decidedly Jewish spin.
http://ohr.edu/index.php

There might be some interesting reading here.
http://www.pifmagazine.com/

A movie/games preview/review site with a fun attitude.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Online spell checking.  http://www.spellcheck.net/

If you're fed up with Outlook Express, here's a potentially
good replacement for it.  http://www.squirrelmail.org/
Other possible replacements are listed on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/donspick.html#emailclients

A site for those who're interested in Swiss watches.
http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/watchmain.html

A site that simply lists a collection of links, sorted into
categories (or on a single subject) is called a "portal".
Here's a better than average Search and Information
portal from Catherine and Steven Dong.
http://www.theboojum.com/

Some online games.
http://www.bugz-interactive.com/frame_eng.html

This screensaver might possibly help you overcome an
unreasonable fear of computer failure *grin*.
http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/bluesaver/index.html

A graphics sorting utility from Diplix Solutions.
http://www.cls-solutions.de/index.php?l=en&f=0&p=dnld_win_picsort
A few other apps from the same source.
http://www.cls-solutions.de/index.php?l=en&f=0&p=downloads

The SadGeezers Guide to Cult TV Science Fiction.
http://www.sadgeezer.com/

An awesome resource for anyone wanting to write Fantasy or
Science Fiction.  http://www.sfwa.org/

If you have a notebook using Windows or an old PC that uses
DOS, check out TMouse or BigT (respectively) from Geoff Park.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/geoffreypark/

Common species of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians
found in the State of Georgia.
http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/gawildlife/gaww.html
You may also enjoy exploring the main site; Georgia's
Museum of Natural History.  http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Useful genealogy resources.  http://genforum.genealogy.com/
http://www.genealogy.org/

The Internet is an increasingly important place to work, play and
learn for both adults and children. At the same time, we are
concerned about the risks we face online. The challenge is to
stay "one-click" ahead of would-be pornographers, hackers,
child-predators and those who would misuse your and you
 child's sensitive information. GetNetWise can help.
http://www.getnetwise.org/

A.C. Gilbert's Discovery Village.  http://www.acgilbert.org/

Scouting resources.
Girls:
http://www.girlscouts.org/
http://www.wagggsworld.org/
http://www.girlscoutstotem.org/
http://www.girlscoutsmilehi.org/
http://www.girlsgotech.org/
Boys:
http://www.scouting.org/
http://www.boyscouts.com/
http://www.scoutorama.com/
http://www.cubmaster.org/
http://www.usscouts.org

World Organization of the Scout Movement.
http://www.scout.org/front/index.shtml

The 21st World Scout Jamboree will be hosted by the United
Kingdom, in celebration of the centenary of Scouting.
http://www.scouting2007.org/english/2007/index.php

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

============== Humor =============

Actual church bulletin and service bloopers:

They announced as the opening hymn as: "Hark, the Herald
Angels Sin"

Adult activity night: "Bring your favorite game and a spouse
of a friend for a great time! "

Our next song is "Angels We Have Heard Get High."

Don't let worry kill you, let the church help.

Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our
church and community.

For those of you who have children and don't know it,
we have a nursery downstairs.

Weight Watchers will meet a 7 p.m. at the First Presbyterian
Church.  Please use large double door at the side entrance.

Thursday at 5:00 PM there will be a meeting of the Little
Mother's Club.  All ladies wishing to become "Little Mothers"
will meet with the Pastor in his study.

This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come
forward and lay an egg on the altar.

The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind.
They can be seen in the church basement Saturday.

Thursday night:  Potluck supper.
Prayer and medication to follow.

A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the
church hall.  Music will follow.

Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the
addition of several new members and to the
deterioration of some older ones.

The senior choir invites any member of the congregation
who enjoys sinning to join the choir.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be
"What is Hell?".  Come early and listen to our choir practice.

The preacher will preach his farewell message, after which
the choir will sing, "Break Forth With Joy."

 The Rev. Adams spoke briefly,
much to the delight of his audience.

The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's "Hamlet"
in the church basement on Friday at 7 p.m.
The Congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.

The 1991 Spring Council Retreat will be hell May 10 and 11.

Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items
to be recycled.  Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

============== Tips ===============

Test-Run by BB Protects the registry when testing new software.
http://dogkennels.gq.nu/testrun/

If an error message regularly flashes onto your screen during boot-up
but disappears too quickly for you to read it, take a picture of it with
your digital camera so you can read it later.

=================================

I want to thank everyone who's made a contribution to this publication.
It's a challenge finding time to write but the knowledge that so many
of you enjoy this publication well enough to have made a monetary
contribution towards it's continued existence gives me ample
incentive.

Special thanks to all the readers who've emailed me with comments,
compliments and/or suggestions.

See you next time.

Don Crowder - Monday, November 1, 2004

5:27 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª