[donspatch] 2004-11-15

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:40:47 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2004-11-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

The up side of working in a supermarket is getting a close look at
everything on the shelves and finding interesting things to try once
in a while.  I quit smoking just before I got the job and have been
eating a lot more because I'm hungry all the time.  Fortunately the
work is strenuous enough to keep me from gaining weight (I've
actually lost 12 pounds in the last two months) but that creates
other difficulties.  Some mornings my body feels like no more than
a large collection of sore and aching muscles.

For weeks I kept remembering a silly little song from Monty Python
that goes:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK,
I sleep all night and I work all day."

I'd about decided to adopt it as my theme song when a co-worker
suggested that I should check the rest of the lyrics.  I found them
here:  http://snipurl.com/alfd
Oops, I guess I'll have to find another theme song.  *grin*

Incidentally, the site where I found the lyrics belongs to the fans of
a Rugby team called the "Quins" and the site has some other
interesting content like these images which can help you determine
if you're color blind:
http://www.diamondgeezers.org.uk/trews/index.html

The rest of the site might be worth exploring
http://www.diamondgeezers.org.uk/index.html
and Monty Python fans might enjoy their "official" site
http://www.pythonline.com/
or one of the sites owned by fans.
http://www.mwscomp.com/python.html
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/
http://www.serve.com/bonzai/monty/
and a google search on "Monty Python" will show you that
there are many more.  I don't think I've ever seen so many
fan sites.

Enough already with the opening statement.  On with the
ezine.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Cynthia Lanius is one very cool lady.
http://math.rice.edu/~lanius/index.html

Take a class online.  http://www.gcflearnfree.org/

Do you need URL redirection?  http://www.globalredirect.com/

Here's one from the fringe.  http://glossynews.com/

An entire suite of Microcontroller development tools freely available,
including source code, to enable people to program Microcontrollers
using the platform and operating system of your choice.
http://huizen.dds.nl/~gnupic/

GNU is pronounced "guh-noo".  http://www.gnu.org/

Recycling is becoming a serious business.  http://www.recycle.net/

Freeware and shareware programs created by Slovak authors.
http://sac-ftp.externet.hu/sk_made1.html

The Internet Sacred Text Archive.  http://www.sacred-texts.com/

A family guide to making the Internet and Technology  fun, safe and
productive.  http://www.safekids.com/

Windows tweaks and cool goodies from Sailcat Graphics.
http://www.sailcat.com/windowstweaks.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Cemeteries and cemetery records (online).  http://www.interment.net/

Sam Spade for Windows:  A network query tool.
http://www.samspade.org/ssw/

An Internet WebQuest on The Samurai's Tale by Erik Haugaard.
http://snipurl.com/alj2

An  architecture, planning and landscape portal.
http://www.sapling.org.uk/

I've never heard of the radio program but the site is interesting.
http://www.wgbh.org/radio/saysyou/

Small Business Startup Guide from the U.S. SBA.
http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/startup/guide.html

Online Women's Business Center.  http://www.onlinewbc.gov/

A site with "attitude" that exposes scams.
http://www.scamorama.com/

Scholarship search and financial aid resource.
http://scholarships.brokescholar.com

An eclectic way to get "laid back".
http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/

An authoritative guide to UK schools.
http://www.schoolsnet.com/

Lots of interesting things to play with.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/

Science hobbyist.  http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/

The accidental science of cooking.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/
More cool things, from the same source, to explore.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Science search engine.  http://www.scinet.cc/

Eric Weisstein's World of Science.
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/

America's Stonehenge.  http://stonehengeusa.com/

A library of ancient texts.
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/

Scribbles is a place for children of all ages who
love to create art.  http://scribbles.bigstep.com/

Women in American literature.  http://www.scribblingwomen.org/

J.D. Knight's Sea and Sky site.  http://www.seasky.org/

An interesting game-related site.  http://scurvyliver.com/

A public records portal.  http://www.pac-info.com/

If "SEO" means nothing to you (or like me, you know what it
stands for but don't care) then skip this one.
http://www.searchengineworld.com/

Orbitron is a satellite tracking system for radio amateur and
observing purposes. It's also used by weather professionals,
satellite communication users, astronomers, UFO hobbyist
and even astrologers.  http://www.stoff.pl/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 266
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Sky King was a TV program that mixed cowboys and airplanes.
http://members.cox.net/skykingtv/skyking.html
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/freeper/
http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/skyking.asp

American Flyers is all about pilots.
http://www.americanflyers.net/

The World Aircraft Carriers Lists are a comprehensive, detailed
listing of all the world's aircraft carriers and seaplane tenders,
from the start of naval aviation into the 21st century.
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/

An aviation portal.  http://www.navworld.com/

Alternative wheat cereals as food grains.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-156.html
Gluten-free recipes and food preparation tips.
http://www.gfrecipes.com

 I enjoyed this poem by Amy Lowel.
http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/amylowell/12258
The rest of the website might also be worth exploring.
http://www.americanpoems.com/

Answerbag is a universal, user-generated collection of
frequently-asked questions.   http://www.answerbag.com/

A FAQ for Microsoft Access developers.
http://www.mvps.org/access/

A baking/cooking resource.  http://www.baking911.com/

WW2 People's War (A BBC site).  http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/

A Bluegrass (music) resource.  http://www.bluegrassnet.com/

A Blues (music) resource.  http://www.blueheartarchive.com/

Would you like to know more about roses?
http://www.highcountryroses.com/class.html
http://www.rosefile.com/TheTables/species.html

What color are you?  http://quizme.stvlive.com/color/quiz.php

Every time I read a newspaper the first thing I turn to is the comics.
I've always had my favorites, like the Katzenjammer Kids
http://www.geocities.com/~jimlowe/katzies/katzdex.html ,
Beetle Bailey  http://www.mortwalker.com/  ,  Snoopy
http://www.snoopy.com/ ,  Li'l Abner http://www.lil-abner.com/ ,
Gordo http://www.toonopedia.com/gordo.htm ,  and Pogo
http://www.pogopossum.com/  but I read and enjoy
them all.  Comics are bigger than ever these days which is odd
when you consider the fact that newspapers, their primary venue,
are declining.  I thinks that's because the comics are rapidly
switching to the internet as their primary venue.
http://www.comics.com/
http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/comics.htm
http://www.unitedfeatures.com/ufsapp/viewFeatureList.do?typeId=2
Toonopedia is a great place to do research on your favorite comics.
http://www.toonopedia.com/index.htm

Contrary to rumors, Grisoft.com still offers a costless
version of AVG.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

The Guggenheim Museum collection online.
http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/

Celebrating invention and innovation.  http://www.ideafinder.com/

Cool things from Jamaica.  http://www.jcdc.org.jm/

Socknitters is a mailing list for anyone interested in knitting socks
by hand.   http://www.socknitters.com/
Sock knitting tutorials.
http://www.socknitters.com/Cyberexplain.htm

Dan's 20th Century Abandonware.
http://home.pmt.org/~drose/aw.html

Dave Barry is a columnist.  http://www.davebarry.com/

Elizabeth Cotton was a very interesting American.
http://www.oafb.net/onceblu12.html
http://www.mudcat.org/cotton.cfm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every now and then, when I can't think of an interesting
topic to research, I select a word at random and do a
google search on it.  I recently did a search on the word
"errant" and was pleased with the results.  Here are the
highlights of that search.

An odd event took the nation of Sri Lanka offline for
several days.  http://snipurl.com/anlz

Maybe I'm a cynic but when the brief description of a concept
makes no sense to me I wonder if it isn't intellectual fluff.
http://www.errantbodies.org/

I enjoyed Susan Solan's site.  http://www.errantfigments.com/

Errant Knight games.  http://www.errantknightgames.com/

Welcome to the Star Destroyer Errant Venture.  This site is al
 about Star Wars simply.  http://s94747379.onlinehome.us/ev/

The Errant Vines art forum.
http://www.noclockthing.de/errantvines/

I was pleased to learn the difference between "arrant" and "errant".
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/034.html

If you don't know any of these people, then this probably won't
be very fun for you unless you like to travel, or dance, or listen
to music, or, you know, whatever.   http://www.errant.org/

Art and politics from Jonathan and Sonia Taylor.
http://www.errantart.com/

A chronicle of the world-encompassing travels of four mages
on their quest to graduate from university.
http://mages.delyria.com/story.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you currently publish an RSS or Atom syndicated content feed,
FeedBurner may be useful to you.  http://www.feedburner.com/

"Alone in the Caribbean" is Frederick A. Fenger's tale of the sailing
canoe "Yakaboo", published in 1917.  http://snipurl.com/anmm

Fifties hoopla (slightly commercial).
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fifties.htm

Because they sell recorded music, Smithsonian's Folkways is a
commercial site and that makes it a site I wouldn't normally list
but there's more to explore here.  A real "wow!" website.
http://www.folkways.si.edu/index.html

Website templates and flash movies aren't the sorts of things
I'm personally interested in but I'm admittedly a little eclectic.
http://www.freelayouts.com/

Library of American Broadcasting.  http://www.lib.umd.edu/LAB

There may come a time when you simply must start a fire.
http://snipurl.com/anrd
More interesting reading.  http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor

The hyper-text version of "A Modern Herbal", first published in 1931
by Mrs. M. Grieve, contains Medicinal, Culinary, Cosmetic and
Economic Properties, Cultivation and Folk-Lore of Herbs.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html

What do you know about MS Word?  http://snipurl.com/anrh

A resource for American music.  http://www.mudcat.org/

Virginia Tech Multimedia Music Dictionary.
http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/

Once, as a child, when I had a cold, my grandmother put a
mustard plaster on my chest.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/6581

British myths and legends.
http://www.britannia.com/history/h100.html

The inventor of the popsicle.
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story026.htm

A debunking portal.  http://purportal.com/

An "Old Time Radio" site.  http://www.otr.com/mwotrc.html
More of the same on the home page.  http://www.otr.com/

The Rockabilly Hall of Fame.  http://www.rockabillyhall.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Computer help and more.  http://www.thecomputerguy.us/

New trends in agriculture.
http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/
http://ianrhome.unl.edu
http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/WCM/1996/W022.htm

A gateway to information concerning approximately 80 western Native
American tribes, visited and photographed by Edward S. Curtis
from 1890 to 1930.  http://www.curtis-collection.com/tribalindex.html

I gave up television with alcohol and cigarettes but I enjoy reading about
TV programs I once watched.  http://www.tvparty.com/

You may find good things to learn or just interesting reading on Bill
Walker's site.  http://www.nvdi.com/wkw/

Low maintenance gardening, using little or no added water.
I love this concept.   http://snipurl.com/2bmq

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Mosaic, the second screensaver listed on this page,
http://www.sente.co.uk/screensaver.htm
is costless and more information about the product
is available on this page.
http://www.sente.co.uk/mosaicinfo.htm

Music learning resources.
http://snipurl.com/ansr
http://www.sheetmusic1.com/music.rack.html

A kayak portal.  http://www.seekayak.com/

Seeing, hearing and smelling the world.
http://www.hhmi.org/senses/

English language news of Serbia (may contain some
spin *grin*).   http://www.serbianna.com/

You never know what you'll find out on the fringe.
http://www.bringbackkirk.com/

Make some parent/grandparent points by passing these on.
http://www.sesameworkshop.org
http://www.randomhouse.com/seussville/games/

Eclectic but costless things.
http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/software.html

Shari's world of friendship and verse.
http://www.members.tripod.com/Shari39/index3.html

Oil change reminder service from Shell Lubricants.
http://www.shell-lubricants.com/reminder/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
============== Humor =============

Terrifying Thoughts for a New Millennium.

I can see clearly now, the brain is gone.

I have kleptomania;  but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

Who are these kids,  and why
are they calling me Mom.

Live each day as if it were your last
and someday you'll be right.

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed
up on disk somewhere.

Drink varnish,  and you'll have a lovely finish.

The two most common elements in
the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

There's no need to fear falling;  it's the
sudden stop at the bottom that you should fear.

Sometimes I think I understand
 everything, then I regain consciousness.

The face is familiar, but I can't
quite remember my name.

============== Tips ===============

Wisdom for living.

Be patient, you have to eat a lot of
cereal before you find the free toy.

Strategize; if you want a kitten,
start out asking for a Jaguar.

Be flexible; that way you'll
never get bent out of shape.

Embrace your greatness.  Objects in
the mirror are greater than they appear.

Steer your career.  Your career is merely
a tool to create whatever life you desire.

Search for the silver lining.  If you fall in a
mud puddle, check your pockets for fish.

Go ahead, make your day.  If you can't
make your day, make someone else's.

Be a student of life.  When you're green
you're growing, when you're not you rot.

Become your own role model.  Make
decisions based on the person you want to be.

Look through the eyes of love
and the eyes of love will look back.

Note:  Humor and tips for this issue came from the website
of Scott Freidman.  http://www.funnyscott.com/

=================================

Sorry to be posting this so late on it's due date but this was
my day off this week so I put off wrapping up this issue
until today.  Of course gathering links for the ezine is a
constant process but assembling each issue is done in
the three or four days before it's published.  Each link I
list is checked (again) as it's added to the ezine.

Thanks again for all your feedback.  Your input is highly
valued.  Thanks also for your generous donations.
See you next time.

Don Crowder - Monday, November 15, 2004

6:40 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª