[dokuwiki] stricter XHTML

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:05:49 +0100

Hallo list!

During the last two days I made two patches for stricter XHTML compliance of DokuWiki. I replaced or deleted some deprecated elements and attributes and more. (BTW, with those patches the amount of "xhtml 1.0 strict" validation errors of the wiki:syntax page are reduced from 117 to 7.)

For template developers: Heed additions and alterations to ./lib/tpl/default/design.css! (div.no, fieldset, img.middle and div.footerinc)

I don't know if we should go *all* of the next steps to full XHTML Strict compliance. All the steps I've done so far, do not hurt. But going further could ... So, I would like to know: What does the list think about Transitional vs. Strict? I would like to know your opinion in mainly the following subjects:

- The <u> tag: If we should go for XHTML Strict (which no-one has yet decided!), abandoning underlinings would be the hardest to convince people about. Most people feel they need to be able to underline text ... So taking this feature completely away seems impossible.

- The target attribute of the <a> tag: http://accessify.com/features/tutorials/the-perfect-popup/ is a good read about that subject.
So, external links could be handled by JavaScript ... Could we live without target="_blank"? Are other targets used?

- The attribute "name" is not allowed in the form tag with Strict. How problematic is it with the existing JavaScript? (This is a more specific question to a few people, rather than a general one to the whole list.)

I have got more questions, but these are the most important ones.

To sum it up:
Strict just for the sake of it? Or Strict because we believe in it? Or no Strict at all?

Anika