[dokuwiki] Re: gzip output buffering problem

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:30:01 +0200

On Fri, 19 May 2006 06:32:47 -0700
Ben Coburn <btcoburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This raises another question. Should "lib/exe/css.php" and
> "lib/exe/js.php" disable compression? I remember some reports that
> *old* browsers would allow compression, but then forget to decompress
> the css before trying to parse it! (Does DokuWiki's css even work
> correctly on these old browsers?)

Good question. Looks like we opened a whole can of worms here.

After some googling I found this problem:

Internet Explorer May Lose the First 2,048 Bytes of Data That Are Sent
Back from a Web Server That Uses HTTP Compression
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313712
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q312496

But I guess we can ignore that because it's a problem fixed by
Microsoft.

The second problem is that IE will not cache gzipped content:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ob-gzhandler.php#51949

Can anyone confirm this?