[dokuwiki] Re: gzip output buffering problem

  • From: Ben Coburn <btcoburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:32:47 -0700

On May 19, 2006, at 2:07 AM, Andreas Gohr wrote:

Hi Ben and *!

I just found a problem with the new gzip compression option. If you call
the wiki for the first time you get the following error:

ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used after
'URL-Rewriter' in /var/www/dokuwiki/inc/template.php on line 23

The probelem and solution is described at:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=24315

So we should move the ob_start call to inc/init.php before opening the
session, but because the init.php is called from all scripts we may need
to make some exceptions (eg. for fetch.php?)

I can't reproduce this bug with the versions of PHP that I currently have installed here. If moving it will resolve the issue that's great.

To disable the compression from "lib/exe/fetch.php" and such I would use a constant like
define('DOKU_DISABLE_GZIP_OUTPUT', 1);
before including the "inc/init.php". This way the decision to not gzip the output is clearly made in the script that needs it.

This raises another question. Should "lib/exe/css.php" and "lib/exe/js.php" disable compression? I remember some reports that *old* browsers would allow compression, but then forget to decompress the css before trying to parse it! (Does DokuWiki's css even work correctly on these old browsers?)

Regards, Ben Coburn