[dokuwiki] Re: "doodle" is a trademark and shouldn't be used in plugins

  • From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 00:32:37 -0400

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Michael Hamann wrote:
> as a DokuWiki user in the IRC has just me made aware of, "doodle" is a
> trademark and the terms of service (http://doodle.com/about/tos.html)
> state:
>
> "You are not entitled to use Doodle’s trademarks (especially DOODLE),
> trade names, brands, domain names, or other distinctive brand features."
>
> Although I'm not a lawyer I think this is pretty clear, both doodle
> plugins should be renamed and everybody who is using these plugins
> should be aware of this issue and change to the renamed version as soon
> as it will be available.

uhh, anyone can claim trademark on anything.  it doesnt meant it's
enforceable.  Google certainly isnt listing trademark information
whenever it uses the word "doodle", and it does so quite heavily.
that's simply how trademarks work -- if you dont enforce it (i.e. go
after people), then you lose it.

further, this is a TOS page which starts off "by using our services,
you agree that ...".  so the only people who need to be "worrying"
about this are ones who actually use this doodle.com website.
-mike