[dokuwiki] Re: "doodle" is a trademark and shouldn't be used in plugins

  • From: Esther Brunner <wikidesign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:35:25 +0200

Hi

> as a DokuWiki user in the IRC has just me made aware of, "doodle" is a
> trademark and the terms of service (http://doodle.com/about/tos.html)
> state:
>
> "You are not entitled to use Doodle’s trademarks (especially DOODLE),
> trade names, brands, domain names, or other distinctive brand features."

Don't panic. First, I think that Mike is right: These terms of services don't
apply to our DokuWiki plugins, at least the one originally written by me
doesn't share a line of code or use the services of doodle.com in any way.

Second, about the naming issue and the credits for the idea I had a short
conversation with Myke Naef, the founder of doodle.com, back in 2006. He made
clear, that this was no problem and thanked for the credits. So as long as it
is mentioned that the plugins are inspired by doodle.com, and not used to
create a competing service, which could easily be confused with doodle.com, it
should be no problem.

Here the original email conversation (in German, sorry):