[dokuwiki] Re: [dokuwiki-teams] music editing wiki?

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:16:24 +0100

As (wrongly) sent to the dokuwiki-teams list:

On 17/10/2012 05:33, Tony Baldwin wrote:
This looks totally awesome: http://www.vexflow.com/
It is "an open-source web-based music notation rendering API. It is
written completely in JavaScript, and runs right in the browser. "
Music tabs or staves are written in a markup language and rendered
by the JS thingy.

I'm wondering if it could be worked into dokuwiki, perhaps as a plugin,
to make a music editing wiki.
Ya think?

./Tony

Not sure if you're aware of my *ABC plugin* [https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:abc]? It is also a music notation plugin, but uses PNGs (created in the backend, by a script) instead of SVGs and/or canvas (created in the frontend, by JavaScript). But I planned to implement *abcjs* [http://code.google.com/p/abcjs/] into it for a while now.

abcjs works very similar to VexFlow, it also creates an SVG with JavaScript. Advantages: It uses the much better known ABC notation, and it also creates a MIDI file on the fly. Disadvantages: It doesn't look quite as nice as VexFlow, and it doesn't support tabs (yet).

Cheers,
Anika