[dokuwiki] Re: PDO support for the blogtng plugin

  • From: Chris Green <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:05:46 +0100

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:14:18AM +0200, Andreas Gohr wrote:
[snip]

>    So what does this mean for BlogTNG? If you're doing all this because you
>    think sqlite sucks and want to use MySQL anyway - then do it this way.
>    Build a plugin based on MySQL. It will you keep much saner.
>
>    I still believe sqlite is the right choice for a dokuwiki plugin. And I
>    believe instead of maintaining the same low level database administration
>    stuff (like silent schema upgrades) in two different plugins is wrong. The
>    sqlite plugin already is there and has a good solution for this kind of
>    stuff. It also gives you a simple administration interface to the backend
>    db, which is an additional benefit. So yes, I think BlogTNG should use the
>    sqlite plugin.

Can I add my [small] voice in agreement with this.  Sqlite is, in my
opinion, a much better choice.  It's so much less complex and easy to
maintain than a 'proper' server based database.  Apart from anything
else it's easy to backup the database along with all the other parts of
the wiki.  Mysql (and other server based databases) put their datbase
down in the depths of /var somewhere other than where the web pages are
and it's far too easy to forget to back them up.

I've actually invested quite a lot of time in the old blog plugin with
small customisations etc.  I don't think the blogtng developments will
be of much use to me but I will follow with interest if things start
happening again.

>    But I'm honest: I won't find any time to work on BlogTNG any time soon. So
>    if you believe something else is better it's your choice to do so.
>
>    From what I can see, the the biggest problem why one might not want to use
>    the sqlite plugin is that the PDO branch (which adds sqlite3) is still not
>    merged in master. To be able to do this, a routine to upgrade from sqlite2
>    to sqlite3 has to be implemented. This is on my mental to do list for a
>    loooong time but I haven't come around it, yet. Mea culpa.

I already use the database2 plugin and the sql plugin (both of which I
have modified, especially the sql plugin).  I've looked at the sqlite
helper plugin a couple of times but decided that adding custom code to
the sql plugin was actually easier.

--
Chris Green