[dokuwiki] Re: Purple Numbers

  • From: TNHarris <telliamed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:20:36 -0400

On Tue, 12 May 2009 22:46:05 +0100
Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I don't think the argument against it should be 'bloat'. There are
> a  lot of other things in DokuWiki which could be (and have been)
> considered as 'bloat'. And it is difficult to decide where to draw the
> line. To quote the (nearly) overused statement: Disk space is cheap

It's not the size but the time and effort to make maintain the code.

And to present my own counter-argument, a primary objective of DokuWiki
is to provide online documentation. Hierarchical identifiers are a
desired feature for many types of documentation, particularly in legal
professions. Purple numbers serves DW's core audience.

How to add a feature is a balance between the inconvenience to users who
want to use it, and the effort required to maintain it. (I still vote
for a plugin.)

Can't say that I like the HIDs being generated. "HID2.13.2:7" is just
gibberish to me. I enjoy that DokuWiki favors human readability. So
perhaps the identifiers could use the section titles. If I see a link to
"linux:driver#usb.configuration.2:3" then I can tell immediately what is
being referred to.

Could lists be ordered better? So the HID reflects the nesting of the
lists. "HID...:<listblockid>.<listitemid>"

-- tom
telliamed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx