[dokuwiki] Re: Logging in Dokuwiki

  • From: "litwiki.de" <w@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:17:14 +0100

Hi Matthias,

a very interesting idea. I do not find the discussion (can you give the link?) so I have the question: what exactly do you try to log? How often a page is accessed, or also who (if logged-in) watched which page?

And is there a difference to server's logfiles?

I'd surely find some logs helpful, if they go further, log different or come handier than the server logfiles.

Greetz

Freddy

Matthias Grimm schrieb:

Hi,
I know that this topic was discussed some time ago on this list and
also the wiki on www.splitbrain.org contains some information about it.
Nevertheless up to now Dokuwiki is not able to log user activity.

I needed some sort of logging in dokuwiki so I implemented a function
that writes a log file in combined log file format that is also used by
apache. A whole bunch of freely available log analyzers could be used to
produce nice log reports.

I have to offer two versions:
1. A simple template function (my first try) will log access to all
  wiki pages. No more to change than template.php of Dokuwiki code and to
  add a call to this function to each template that should support
  logging.

2. A much better version will log all wiki pages, internal and external
  media files. It is integrated nicely in the dokuwiki code. The log will
  be written only if the logfile already exists. No logfile, no logging.
  Anyway, a template function must be called from each template.

I could prepare a patch to add logging permanently to Dokuwiki or place
the code as tipps&tricks on www.splitbrain.org. What do you think? I
wouldn't ask if there wasn't that logging discussion on splitbrain.org.

 Best Regards
   Matthias