[dokuwiki] Re: Internal Link dialog

  • From: Gregor Geiermann <gregor.geiermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:14:26 +0200

Hi Otto,

I have made a plugin called linkmanager (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:linkmanager) which gives you a mediamanager style pop-up window for link selection. It does not have the quicksearch type search for links, but it shows page names and titles and you can sort the list based on either.

I finally found the time to give the linkmanager plugin a try, and it
works fine on the stable Dokuwiki release, as well as on the RC. I still
have to adapt my template a bit, but the functionality is a huge
improvement, thanks a lot!

I played around with it a bit and have some feature suggestions for the
plugin configuration:

- "Relative path" option: I noted that linkmanager always uses the
absolute namespace paths, with a leading ":" for pages in root. Our
users can only create and link to pages in the root, so we don't need
namespaces and I'd like to keep the syntax for the non-technical staff
as simple as possible.

- the quicksearch funcionality integrated in the linkmanager: if I have
longs lists of pagenames, I would start entering a search term and the
displayed list of pages would automatically adapt and show only the
subset of pages which page names match the pattern I entered. This would
especially useful if I can't remember the first part of the page name or
the title, so alphabetical ordering does not help.

- "replace internal link button": I think in most cases one button for
creating internal links is sufficient and keeps the interface clean. And
I guess that users that use the buttons instead of writing wiki syntax
will prefer the linkmanager anyway, so it would be nice if one could
replace the standard internal link button with the linkmanager button in
the plugin configuration.

I apologize if this is not the right place to post these suggestions -
but as Andi said he is also evaluating improvements of the link process,
I thought it might just be.

One bug I found, and that another user already added to the linkmanager
plugin page at splitbrain: the tree on the left side is that of the
media directory, not the page directory.

If the page namespace has a respective media directory, you won't notice
the difference, as there is a 1:1 relation - but here I have to special
page namespaces with no media files attached, and those do not show up
in the tree. I also have a media directory without an equivalent pages
directory - this one shows up, but of course there are no pages in it.

Thanks again, and best wishes
Gregor