[dokuwiki] Re: Installing Dokuwiki on hosted webspace

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:30:31 +0100

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:14:47 +0100
"J.L. Coenders" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Describe the symptoms of your problem or bug carefully and clearly.
> I am trying to install dokuwiki on a provider called nederhost.nl,
> because I  would like to use dokuwiki as a CMS.
> The first problem that I have, is that the .htaccess files somehow
> don't work  on this provider. They just give a server error, I think
> 500. But if I delete  them for testing purposes it is ok.
> The second thing I am trying to do is putting the data files of
> dokuwiki in a  special data directory, further described below.

This is probably because a) you hoster does not allow certain a
directive in the .htaccess file or b) you need to set a RewriteBase
option additionally to te rewrite rules.

for a) try to remove all directives and put them in again step by step
for b) try to add the following right after "RewriteEngine on":

RewriteBase /

This assumes you wiki is installed in the root of your webserverroot, if
not adjust the path accordingly

> > Describe the environment in which it occurs
> On a provider called nederhost.nl, they run Apache 2.0.54 with PHP
> 4.3.11 They have the following directory structure:
>
> webspace
> |- www        viewable from the outside, here you put your php scripts
> |- scripts    to run scripts in, mainly for perl/cgi, not viewable from the
> outside
> |- data       directory to put your data in, not viewable from the outside
>
> I would like to put the data files of dokuwiki in the data directory
> and the  rest in www.

This should work with setting

$conf['savedir'] = '/path/to/webspace/data';

Using

$conf['savedir'] = '../data';

should probably work, too.

> I know that I was not particularly clear with my first question, but I
> hope  that you can help a fellow programmer out to get his stuff back
> online.

This mail was much clearer :-) Welcome to the list ;-)