[dokuwiki] Re: Hey! Lets start an ODT initiative!

  • From: Christopher Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:43:44 +0000

On 23 Mar 2009, at 22:56, Michael Klier wrote:

Hi again,

today I'm in the mood for lengthy mails, so please excuse the following rather
long text ;).

While I was working on the new include plugin (see my earlier post) I noticed that the odt support in DokuWiki isn't as good as it theoretically could be.

A lot of plugins are missing the needed format renderer. So I was thinking, if we all would join forces we could change that in a matter of weeks or even days, maybe even on a single weekend (just kidding). So here goes my plan:

Can I suggest at the same time, plugins are improved to use the cdata instruction for displaying textual content. If a plugin adds a cdata instruction for cacheable content to during handle, all the textual content will be rendered "plain" no matter the export mode chosen. Writing dynamic textual content to the renderer using the renderers cdata method will accomplish the same thing (though block plugins may need to also use p_open and p_close). This is kind of like using the "alt" attribute for images in html. It provides a sensible fallback when the output format is not understood and therefore can not be rendered by the plugin.

As a first step we'd need to gather the needed information about the current
status of ODT support:

        1. Which plugins have ODT support already?
        2. Does it work?
        3. Which plugins are lacking ODT support and for which plugins would
        ODT support be really cool?

I'm happy to add ODT support to the box plugin if someone can provide some details on sensible ODT formats for boxes. I think someone may well have emailed something similar to me in the past, but I don't have it any more.

Another useful thing would be to add a list of references to ODT and DokuWiki people with expertise in ODT.

- Chris