[dokuwiki] Hey! Lets start an ODT initiative!

  • From: Michael Klier <chi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 23:56:16 +0100

Hi again,

today I'm in the mood for lengthy mails, so please excuse the following rather
long text ;).

While I was working on the new include plugin (see my earlier post) I noticed
that the odt support in DokuWiki isn't as good as it theoretically could be.

A lot of plugins are missing the needed format renderer. So I was thinking, if
we all would join forces we could change that in a matter of weeks or even
days, maybe even on a single weekend (just kidding). So here goes my plan:

As a first step we'd need to gather the needed information about the current
status of ODT support:

        1. Which plugins have ODT support already?
        2. Does it work?
        3. Which plugins are lacking ODT support and for which plugins would
        ODT support be really cool?

Once we have a list of plugins, the next task would be to kind of sort this
list by popularity/importance. All these steps could happen on the mailinglist
in coordination with the dokuwiki.org wiki. I've made a wiki page to gather
some data about the progress of ODT support in Dokuwiki [1] (I'll add some
technical information about how to add odt support to a plugin later). Please
add/update information on this page.

I'd suggest to proceed as follows:

        1. If you know a plugin that should support ODT add it to the list of
the
        Wiki if it's not there already. If possible, contact the author of the
        plugin and let him know about your wish and add the date when you
        contacted him/her to the wiki page, or at least mark that you haven't
        contaced the author about it so someone else can do it.
        2. If the plugin author updates the plugin to support ODT make sure to
        update the information on the wiki page accordingly.
        3. If the author doesn't answer in a longer time frame (lets say 4
weeks),
        mark the plugin on the list as "WONTFIX", so other developers see that
        they could give a helping hand ;).
        4. If you're a php developer with too much free time on your hands or
with
        a particular interest in pushing this initiative forwards consider to
make
        patches for the listed plugins.

As you might have guessed already, the goal of this initiative is to make
DokuWiki the Wiki with the most awesome ODT support available on the planet
;). So I hope this idea finds some friends in the DokuWiki community! An idea
like this stands and falls with the number of people who get involved, even if
you're just adding a single plugin to the list, you'd be of great help!

Cheers,
        Michael

[1] http://www.dokuwiki.org/odt_initiative

--