[dokuwiki] Re: Doku-cluster

  • From: Michael Klier <chi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:00:26 +0200

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 08:56:52PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Quick web searches "dokuwiki cluster", "dokuwiki im/export" found some
> notes on Multi-Site installation but did not pop up anything relevant to
> sharing & farming... - If there's no such //plugin// yet, I can spend
> some time.. The best I can envisage is a XMPP PubSub schema (s2s
> subscribe dokuwiki's) - the most pragmatic is using 'rsync+ssh'.

atm there are two approaches regarding farming with Dokuwiki [1] and [2], the
first uses symlinks while the latter works using a new feature introduced in
the development version of DokuWiki. Both aren't perfect at the moment because
they're lacking plugin management and configuration management facilities which
would allow the "farmer" to control the "animals". But that's being worked on,
and you're more than welcome to join the discussion/development :).

> Are there endeavors to join data-portability.org?

Not that I know of. Andi might have an answer to this.

> YMMV, besides that dokuwiki's text files are already very //portable//
> - - adding OAuth and XMPP PubSub would be my choice of priority.

We talked about OAuth a bit on the FroSCon weekend. But we haven't looked to
close at that yet.

> just to outline the idea:Using dokuwiki's Atom-1.0 export one can
> implement http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html to publish.
> Receiving updates, could be done by a XMPP<->HTTP/RPC gateway.
> http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:xmlrpc is a good start on that end.
>
> Would you be interested to delve into details?

Of course :).

> hints, pointers or active projects?

The XMLRPC interface is being worked atm, new ideas functionality gets added
when people, which are using it hit a problem. Atm I know of a fuse filesystem
implemented in ruby [3], a vim plugin [4] that allows page editing over XMLRPC
and a notefinder plugin [5].

> PS.  A completely different approach would be to put dokuwiki's data
> folder under git revision control and use git-hooks to distribute the
> data. alas, that would require a carefully planned protocol for dokuwiki
> committing data (and locks or handle merges).

AFAIK Guy Brand is working on a git integration.

> Of course there are various options to share the underlying FS. Are
> there writeups/performance-tips for doing so with dokuwiki?

That's actually what I'd think is the best option to share data between
DokuWiki instances. However, I don't know much about cluster file systems or
the like ;) (I don't think I've ever seen any performance tips, but I think
there are lots fs reviews found on google).

Regards,
        Chi

[1] http://dokuwiki.org/tips:farm
[2] http://dokuwiki.org/tips:farm2