[dokuwiki] Re: Disabling namespaces in DokuWiki?

  • From: "Martin Erlandsson" <marterland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:40:26 +0100

Different contexts have different needs, I guess.

In my case (my personal view based on the wiki contexts I have
experience from), I find it very confusing to mix pure wiki linking
with a hierarchical strategy. Wikipedia and many other wikis work just
fine without namespaces or hierarchies. It's just a matter of handling
disambiguities in a good way.

One of the reasons for the wiki success story (I think) is the fact
that wikis allow users to "break out" of the hierarchical mindset and
create new links as they go along, not being limited by an underlying
hierarchy.

Also, there is the speed issue. A wiki needs to allow user to add
stuff *really* quickly and easily. If a user must stop and think about
where in the hierarchy he is going to put his
thoughts/reflections/information, chances are that he will lose focus
and forget what he was going to write. A name or a concept should be
enough.

Again, these are my personal opinions based on my context(s).

/Martin