[directmusic] Re: directmusic Digest V1 #47

  • From: John Glynn <johnglynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:49:58 -0400

Hey Devin,

I appreciate you asking all of those questions.  Even though I am already
sold on DMP and am using it for a current project I would like to those
answers as well.

And thank you Jason for taking the time to answer a bunch of them.  BTW
Jason, you mentioned the roll of the composer.  How much in your opinion
should the composer be aware of technically?  I realize this is a highly
subjective question but I am working with one of our programmers and we are
trying to solve a problem.  As the composer I understand all of the musical
aspects and he understands all of the techy aspects.  But its like there is
a ravine of ignorance between us preventing us from communicating
succsessfully so the problem is not getting solved as quickly as if either
of us understood both music and programming.  This is a tough question to
answer but how much crossover is reasonable and has anyone else encountered
this problem?  How much should the programmer be expected to know about
music?  Does it make more sense for the composer to just get a degree (or
equivelant) in programming?

John Glynn