[directmusic] Compression on DLS samples?

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:24:31 +0100

I'm making a little DirectMusic thing for a friend who's making a
downloadable game. He wants me to make the music inside 2 MB (preferably
less) to keep download times to a minimum for his users.

So I have some questions:

1) Can I use some compression on my DLS instruments?

2) Can I sample sounds in Soundforge, save them out as Microsoft ADPCM
samples, and import these samples into DM Producer?

3) Can I then save this out as a DLS, and will that DLS then be smaller than
a DLS containing uncompressed samples? In other words, will the samples
still be ADPCM compressed inside the DLS file?

4) Can I be confident that this DLS and the DirectMusic content will work
okay for all the game users?

Thanks for any help and tips. :-)

--
Bjorn Lynne - Composer, Producer, Sound Designer
Main music site: www.lynnemusic.com