[directmusic] Re: SV: Re: SV: New directmusic project

  • From: "Steve M" <quagswag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:28:11 +0000

Glad to hear some people are still working with the system, I've just come
back to DirectMusic after a break of a few years, it is sad to see that it
never really took off.

Have to agree with Scott's analysis, people seemed to really loathe getting
down and dirty with the DMusic system, I had a lot of trouble persuading
others in my old music dept. that is was worthwhile. For myself, I was a
programmer in a previous incarnation and frankly I loved it (bugs aside). It
was something I had envisioned writing myself, but here it was, much better
than I could have conceived it from scratch.

Hadn't heard of iXMF before now, went and read a little. Good luck to those
creating it. I note that it wants to put more creative decisions in the
handsof the composer, which is great, but I always found the main problem to
be getting programmers to give their resource time to providing the triggers
etc. can it overcome that issue any better I wonder?

Does anybody know if DMusic will be supported (if not expanded) in future
versions of DirectX? I am looking quite seriously at developing some
softwarethat uses DMusic as its engine, would be a waste of time if its not
going to be implemented.

Steve Maloney

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Jesper Kaae"
<jesperkaae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To:
<directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [directmusic] SV: Re: SV: New
directmusic project Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:44:17 +0200 Thanks for the
answer Scott. I guess I'll have to check out XACT before = I condemn the way
things are going. I read that XACT would be released = for pc this autumn.
Doyou know a more exact date, and will it be = freeware like DMP? Jesper
Kaae-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]P=E5 vegne af Scott Morgan Sendt:
19. oktober 2004 18:56 Til: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Emne: [directmusic]
Re:SV: New directmusic project The better sounding answer:  XACT took over,
people are into live = orchestra and all the new (and truly amazing)
softsynths from people like Native-Instruments, Nemesys, Ilio, Steinberg,
Cakewalk, and = Propellerhead. It's really hard to transfer that kind of
stuff to DMusic and have it = sound the same. After the "failure" of
DirectMusic, my kind of negative view on it is = that people in general were
not up to the challenge of making adaptive/interactive music that sounds
goodtoo :(. People blasted = Dmusic soooo much for being hard to learn and
unintuitive.  I thought it was a little silly to be honest.  DMusic was
doingsome very radically new = things and the concepts really stretched your
brain when first exposed to them. =   If people thought it was going to be
Sonar/Cubase/DP over again they were = very disappointed.  I think all the
bugs were just something we needed to = deal with since we were working with
such brand new software.  If DMusic had gotten more consumer support it
wouldhave gotten more developer = support, hence less bugs.  But...DMusic
wasa really challenging thing to get = into and wasn't worth it for many
composers since they could get by with = using the same techniques they've
been using and not have to: 1. Learn a whole new music system 2. Create a
whole new instrument library to work from 3. Deal with DLS licensing issues
and encryption 4. Get slammed by RAM and CPU limitations 5. Deal with
compleximplementations And now the live orchestra possibilities and
incredible new software has left DMusic in the dust IMHO.  Maybe if DMusic
hadn't gotten shut down = it would still be a good possibility, but without
development it is = stagnant and won't be able to compete.  XACT is going to
be so much better when released for the PC IMHO.  You can make the best
sounding music you can = and simply crossfade at markers with an engine that
was specifically built = for that kind of usage. -Scott Morgan
http://morganstudios.com/ -----Original Message----- From:
directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Jesper Kaae Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 12:39 AM To:
directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [directmusic] SV: New directmusic project
I'm working on some small applications using Widesound's DMX control. = =3D
Therefore I would like to hear if anyone knows how to get in contact =3D
withCiaran Walsh. I would also like to hear peoples general opinions on the
subject of =3D adaptive audio at the moment. Why is this discussion group
nearly dead? = =3D Is it because of the book (DirectX 9 Audio Exposed), or
isit because = =3D the world is waiting for new formats like iXMF, or is
adaptive music not = =3D the revelation we thought it was. Jesper Kaae
-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:directmusic-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]P=3DE5 vegne af
bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: 14. oktober 2004 13:22 Til:
directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Emne: [directmusic] New directmusic project Hey
folks, I'm just embarking on a new DirectMusic game music project today. I
=3D haven't even started the DM Producer for a year or two, so I'm a little
rusty. Time = =3D to brush the dust off those old quirks of DMProducer - ah,
those Bands, Styles = =3D and Variations... Am I the only person in the
worldstill working with DirectMusic? =3D Anybody else here have something in
the pipeline? Cheers then, -- Bjorn Lynne www.lynnemusic.com

Fed up of receiving junk e-mail? Find out how to deal with spam here.[1]

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUK/2746??PS=47575