[directmusic] Resource budgets

  • From: "Saul Bottcher" <saul.bottcher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:02:45 -0400

Hi all,

    Since we're surveying people about which features they ARE using in
projects, I'm wondering if we could also ask about what feature's they
aren't, or rather can't.  In other words, what sorts of restrictions have
you all been working under?  I'm wondering about things like sample size on
disk and in RAM, CPU usage, features allowed/disallowed, and so on...
basically, any restrictions laid down as part of the overall music-system
design for the project.

    For the PC title I worked on, we had restrictions of 4MB RAM/disk, ~5%
CPU on a p3-450MHz, no dynamic loading of samples, no GM samples loaded, no
FX (standard stereo/no-reverb audiopath only), and no scripting (though this
last one was fairly irrelevant).  It was a fairly plain, nearly MOD-like
setup, though variations and other "musical features" were usable.

    What about you guys/gals?

    Saul.