[directmusic] Problem with General MIDI instruments not playing

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:40:10 -0000

I believe this is a bug - or even if it's not, it's causing me problems, so
I'd like to hear if anybody have any solutions or workarounds for this...

I have a "main" band using pchannels 1-30 approx, and using both custom
samples and instruments from the preset General MIDI bank, without problems.

I also have 3 small jingles, each made as a 1-bar segment, which I play as
Secondary segments on top of the primary segments.

Whilst all my jingles play just fine inside DMProducer, those jingles that
use General MIDI instruments do not play outside DMProducer. I trigger the
script (just a simple "jingle2.play IsSecondary") inside DMProducer and it
plays just fine. However, when incorporated in Scott's DMDemo app outside
DMProducer, the jingle doesn't make a sound.

I have one jingle that uses only custom samples - assigned to pchannel 99
and 98. It plays fine.

I have another jingle that uses only a General MIDI instrument - assigned to
pchannel 97. It doesn't play. (It does from inside DMProducer, but not
outside).

I have a third jingle that uses one custom instrument, and one General MIDI
intrument - assigned to pchannels 96 and 95. It plays fine inside
DMProducer, but when played outside DMProducer, only the custom instrument
can be heard. The General MIDI instrument does not play.

The jingles are made as 1-bar segments with a pattern track, a chord track,
and a band track. The band only assigns the instruments used in that jingle,
i.e. in the case of jingle2, it only assigns a General MIDI "Polysynth" to
pchannel 97. Nothing else.

As I said, in Producer everything works 100% fine. But when outside
Producer, the General MIDI sounds in the jingles don't play. :-/

As a workaround, I have even tried to assign all the high pchannels 95-99 in
my main band as well, just to make sure these sounds are loaded. But it
didn't help. I'm simply unable to get General MIDI sounds to play as part of
a Secondary segment, when outside DMProducer.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
--
Bjorn Lynne - Composer, Producer, Sound Designer
Main music site: www.lynnemusic.com