[directmusic] Re: Conflict: Desert Storm - and question

  • From: "Ciaran Walsh" <ciaran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:16:49 -0000

If the triggers the music is going to respond to are really time sensitive
like what you described then what I would do is use secondary motifs that
can be triggered on beats or grids rather than anything that has to wait for
measure boundaries or other widely spaced markers. You could have dramatic
stabs or simple short motifs that can easily and coherently be started and
stopped.

The other thing you could do is use scriptiing so that if you do need to
change the primary music you check a variable to make sure the destination
state is still valid just before the change itself takes place. So you might
have:

Dim Danger '0 = no danger, 1 = danger

sub StartDanger
        Danger = 1
        DangerTriggerSegment.play AtMarker 'the marker is placed just before the
desired start point of DangerSegment
end sub

sub ResetDanger 'called if danger ceases
        Danger = 0
end sub

sub CheckDanger 'this routine is called by DangerTriggerSegment
        if Danger = 1 then
                DangerSegment.play AtMeasure
        end if
end sub

Probably the best thing to do would be combine both approaches so you get
quick responsive motifs for short bursts of danger and changes to the
primary music for sustained periods.

Ciaran