[directmusic] Conflict: Desert Storm - and question

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:53:28 -0000

I was at a friend's place yesterday and he was playing Conflict: Desert
Storm, the first-person squad based war game. The music soundtrack sounded
very much like a DirectMusic job to me; with groove levels etc.

One slight problem I think manifested itself in that game was the response
time of the music when grooves are waiting for the next natural place to
change, it couldn't really keep up with the action in the game. I.e. an
enemy would start shooting at you, you take aim and shoot him dead, he falls
over, and everything goes quiet again. THEN the music would pick up and play
some more dramatic stuff for a few seconds, before settling back down.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to structure a project to best avoid this?
Maybe use more immediate secondary segments and sound effects for short
battle sequences, rather than change the primary music, which can some times
be too late, if the battle was a short one. I felt this problem was
particularly prominent in this game. Other than that, it was nice. :-)

I meant to ask a question as well, but now I've forgot what it was. ;-)

--
Bjorn Lynne - Composer, Producer, Sound Designer
Main music site: www.lynnemusic.com