[digitalucifer] [...Come The Wolves] Doing It Myself

  • From: sku11fukkr <morpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: digitalucifer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:44:07 -0700 (PDT)

 =20   I've spent the past year working towards the impossible. I moved fro=
m Burlington, a strong node in the cultural network, to Rutland, a blue-col=
lar wastetown (and subsequently my hometown) in an effort to create somethi=
ng from nothing. My goal? To build a scene. Not just any scene, but a good =
scene that works together. I am not going to pretentiously spout off that I=
was the first, because I most certainly am not, nor that I am the only one=
working for this, because there are others. I am, though, someone who has =
been involved in this small city's lackluster scene for nearly ten years. I=
've been involved since my early teens and I don't plan on stopping now.
  When I told my friends that I was moving back to Rutland, = the common
response was, "Why? There's nothing in that town!" Other than th= e rest of
my band and the bulk of my family being located here, that is exa= ctly why.
Leaving a pre-established scene to enter a place where there is p=
racticallyno scene at all is a true DIY dream. Here, it is not being done =
for me. Here, I can really do it myself. Here, I am forced to do it myself.=
Here, if I don't do it myself, it won't get done. In Rutland, Vermont, the=
re are no other options.
  This past year hasn't been entir= ely productive, but it also has not been
completely dead. I've released a c= ouple small zines, a new issue of the
locally-infamous Hatezine, a new Morp= heus album, and set up 2004's Punk in
the Park. I also failed at starting a= small record label/publishing house
twice. This year, my aims are higher a= nd stronger. I've started a very
small distro, made Hatezine more of a grou= p effort, and gained some
renewednotoriety with the local kids. This year,= Morpheus will release
another album. this year I've released a new nine(9)= album and contributed
nine(9) material to a split with Arizona anti-goth a= ct D-Lux. This year
will bring more zines, more music, and more activity. I= 'm also hoping that
this year will bring more shows. Zero Gravity seems to = be the venue of
choice for the scene right now. I plan on seeing about tabl= ing the shows.
This year, things should begin to take off.

&nbsp= ; The point of all this nonsense is that Rutland was not a bad move.
Its re= ally great that Burlington is a good scene, but I wanted to move
backto my= hometown and start fresh. Its ok to do that. Its a real test of
dedication= to leave a flourishing place and enter a creative deadzone with
the intent= on giving it life. That takes some fucking balls. We'll see what
happens. =

--
Posted by sku11fukkr to ...Come The Wolves[0] at 5/26/2005 07:27:00 PM