[dh-photo] Weegee

  • From: Joachim Seibert <joachim.seibert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dh-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 00:47:38 +0100

Hi guys,
during the last session, I mentioned Weegee (Arthur (Ascher/Usher) Fellig).
To my surprise, the guy was not known to so many.
Weegee was the guy who allegedly said "f/8 and be there". Also, he was one
of the first photographer using flash on a regular basis. Weegee was one of
the most influential photographers ever, not only in documentary and street
photography.
Anyways, here are some links:
http://www.icp.org/browse/archive/constituents/weegee?all/all/all/all/0
http://www.moma.org/collection/artists/1842
http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/artists/1851/weegee-arthur-fellig-american-born-austria-1899-1968/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/12/weegee-photos_n_6278364.html
Weegee used a Graphlex Speed Graphic 4x5 press camera, mostly with flash
bulbs. The shutter of said camera is triggered by the current to the flash
bulb running through a solenoid.
To my own surprise, Weegee had some severe influence on the movie "Dr.
Strangelove".
Cheers,
Joachim