[dfaresource] FROM DPI

  • From: "vashkar" <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dfaresource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:34:32 +0700

A message from Venus Ilagan, DPI Chairperson

August 25, 2006

-----------------------------

8th Session of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Rights and Dignity of Persons with
Disabilities

http://v1.dpi.org/lang-en/resources/topics_detail?page=685

Today, August 25, 2006, is a day to celebrate!  We have achieved something that
has been long been the dream of our membership: A UN Convention on our human

rights!

Twenty-five years ago at DPI's 1st World Congress, in Singapore, we recognized
the need to unite and to fight for our human rights as disabled people.

Today, with this victory we are united as never before!  With the adoption of
the draft convention by the Ad Hoc Committee, we can celebrate a major victory

on the long road to equality and we should be very proud of this achievement.

At the beginning of the current negotiations process DPI made clear our view
that there were no human rights to which disabled people do not lay claim.

 The draft instrument accepted here today recognizes and entrenches our rights
in the UN Human Rights framework, and in this way is a huge victory for

us all.

The new Treaty will be of immense value to us as we continue along the path to
the full realization of our rights!  In closing we wish to take a moment

and thank especially the Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee, Ambassador Don MacKay
from New Zealand, along with all the government delegations, the Bureau,

DESA and the Secretariat, and of course our NGO colleagues from around the
world, all of whom have worked so hard to bring us this remarkable new
instrument.

 We look forward to the UN General Assembly move to adopt this Convention at
its upcoming session so that we can begin the important processes of
ratification

and implementation of this Convention!

OTHER RESOURCES

Agreement Reached on New Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities -

http://v1.dpi.org/lang-en/resources/details.php?page=686

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities -

http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/

UN agrees landmark draft to protect disabled -

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=82738034&p=8z738336&n=82738414

UN agrees disability treaty text -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/5274354.stm