[Debatewise RRT] Re: late debates (again)

  • From: astha alang <astha_alang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:59:45 +0000

Dear Alex,

I am very sorry but I will not be able to do any debate till the 20th of
December as I am travelling out of country for official work.

Best,
Astha

From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] Re: late debates (again)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:57:06 +0000

Hi,

I agree with David here the main problem is time. Finding the 10
or so debates I send out on a Tuesday, doing enough research to have the
introduction factually based and not open to criticism and finding links that
provide good information from a diverse range of sources takes me about four
hours which is a fair amount of time at the moment. Obviously if I add more
then the time taken gets longer, this may well be fine after the Copenhagen
conference
is over. But is not going to work at the moment.

It has become the case that I hand out the debates for people to
do but this is not necessarily something that it needs to be me doing. I try to
make the debates as diverse as possible but I know I put in too many politics
and international affairs debates. In order to get round this we need others to
contribute debates on culture, religion, local politics etc.

So yes I agree that we may be in need of a change to the model
of how we do things.

The most obvious way is if we move to a more democratic way of
creating rapid response team debates. I am sure that there are some of you who
particularly like to ask questions and others who like to answer them so feel
free to send out any debate topics of your own and others can take them up or
help with them.

Along with this I want to encourage is the taking of debates by
more than one person with someone arguing for each side, which I was glad to
see happened a fair bit this week.

I could also spread out debates by changing the way I do things,
at the moment I and others at HQ read various papers on a Tuesday to get the
debate ideas and I then research them a little more. This could be changed to me
reading one paper each day (a different one each day so as to overall still get
a more rounded viewpoint) and then sending out a couple of topics each day.

A possible second way of doing things is a radical change in the
way we do things. I could put up all the debates and assign the RRT into teams
who
all then add to all the RRT debates which might prove an interesting change and
allow people to add their views in their own time rather than having a scramble
to grab a debate. It would also be much more in keeping with the original idea
of Debatewise that there should be alot of people arguing their own case
(rather than doing both sides) so as to get the best argument overall.

This would however require more planning, how would I organise
the teams? Is it right that I essentially restrict the side that people are
arguing on when they could contribute to both? Would I need to ask for where
you are on the political spectrum to decide what team you go on? Etc. etc.....

If you have any more ideas feel free to send em out, it would be
a nice touch if I create a debate on any ideas we have.

Regards

Alex