[debatewisegypcc] FAO Nadia Siddiqi and anyone else who's interested re press releases

  • From: "Rosie Charalambous" <caracal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <debatewisegypcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:43:57 +0200

They won't reply Nadia - you just need to send out a press release, and I
suggest not too many links - that takes up a busy journalist's time!
Below is the one I sent, just change bits to suit your country details if you
like.  :)
Rosie

Press Release

GLOBAL YOUTH PANEL TO DEBATE CLIMATE CHANGE

Cyprus represented by 11 young people

Cyprus is participating in the Global Youth Panel debates, discussing decisions
of the ‘COP15’ Copenhagen UN Climate Change Conference.

Outcomes from the COP15 United Nations Climate Change Conference, which runs
from

December 7-18, will be closely scrutinised and debated by more than 1,000
members of the Debatewise Global Youth Panel. The group of 15–25 year-olds from
140 different countries will raise their arguments about the pros and cons of
the Conference using Google Wave, the new real-time communication and
collaboration tool launched earlier this year.

The Debatewise Global Youth Panel delivers the views of those who will be most
affected by the outcomes of COP15. The panel is motivated, not by global
economic and politics, but by real fears and concerns about how climate change
is affecting their lives and futures. Their debate will represent a unique
perspective on what the Danish government describes as ‘The

Crucial Conference – the last chance to reach an agreement that can be approved
and ratified in time to come into force when the first commitment period of the
Kyoto Protocol expires in

2012’.

The Debatewise Global Youth Panel is being locally coordinated in each of the
140 countries involved. The Panel covers just about every ethnic and social
group, and consists of a mix including those who have registered out of
self-motivated concern, and invited participants who are already active on
climate change issues. The debate will also give voice to a vital age group in
some of the world’s poorest countries.

Overview

Debatewise will organise a series of online debates to coincide with the
Copenhagen climate change conference which starts on 7th December. As
moderators of the debates, Debatewise will table the motions while various pro
and con arguments for each debate will be created by volunteers from the 1,000
strong Global Youth Panel. Some members of the panel will create the debates,
others will vote on the debates. In this way we will measure of how young
people around the world think about events from the conference.

After the conference we will contact group panel members by country and ask
them to debate how they will be impacted by the decisions the conference comes
to. Brazil, for example, may wish to make a case against deforestation
restrictions whilst the rest of the world may argue that they should suffer for
the greater good. In this way, the decisions taken at Copenhagen will be given
a personal and truly local context which we believe no-one else is providing.

The Debatewise Global Youth Panel debate begins on 7th December and will carry
on in real time throughout the United Nations Climate Change Conference, which
ends on 18th December.

The Cyprus co-ordinator is Rosie Charalambous, who can be contacted on
22-781828/99-666011.

She can put you in touch with Cyprus panellists if you would like to interview
them.

Global organiser David Crane can be contacted:

Tel: 020 3393 7223

Mobile: 07956 292 567

http://debatewise.org

dc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What is Debatewise?

Debatewise is a not-for-profit organisation. It was started by David Crane with
the help of funding from Open Society Institute – whose chairman and founder is
George Soros.

Debatewise was created to support people who like making informed decisions;
for people who would rather not trust one source of information, but instead
try to obtain a rounded view – which these days often means visiting forums and
blogs. But making sense of different opinions can be time-consuming and
imprecise, involving visiting a number of sites, reading often long threads,
working out who to trust, picking the gold from their posts – and then
searching again for secondary validation.

Debatewise was created to provide a place where the best possible arguments for
one side are listed next to the best possible arguments against. These
arguments aren't created by one person, but by like-minded individuals
collaborating to form the strongest case. This allows people both to easily
compare the pros and cons, and come to a decision safe in the knowledge that
it’s based upon the best information to hand.

Debatewise aims to be the first place people think of when they want to make up
their minds; it also aims to provide an environment where people can explore
both sides of an argument or issue, and leave better informed. It’s also hoped
that they’ll share their knowledge, to better inform others.

For more information on the Cyprus participation contact Rosie Charalambous,
caracal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx tel: 22-781828/99-666011

  Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:02:58 +0000
  From: dc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  To: debatewisegypcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Rosie made a very good point about sending the press release out. Try and
personalise it as much as you can.  Add a paragraph talking about your
panellists, why they're involved, what obstacles they've had to overcome to
take part - and so on.

  Also, if a journalist could talk to a panellist so much the better - do get
their permisison first though.

  Remember, this is a big story - the media will want to cover it.  You just
need to let them know it's going on.

  Dave

  2009/12/6 Rosie Charalambous <caracal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    DOH! now with attachment!