[ddots-l] Re: syncronising metronome.

  • From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:34:41 +0100

Steve wrote:
Hi all,

I'm aware that what I'm about to ask maybe straight forward. Up until now,
I've recorded my tracks using midi, however, I have a project coming up
shortly where I'll be putting backing Vocals on tracks that have been sent
to me on CD.
I know how to record the audio CD into Sonar, I just haven't a clew on,
1: How to set the recorded audio to begin at bar one,
2: match the metronomes tempo with the song.

Phil replied: the easiest way to do this would be to extract the audio from
the CD into Sound Forge using the extract audio from CD feature.  You could
then trim off any silence from the start.  Then, save the wave file.  Play
the file back in Sound forge and whilst it's playing, open up Sonar and get
the metronome running.  Get the tempo as close as possible then, import the
file into Sonar at bar 2.  Yes I do mean bar 2 because you may need to move
the audio a bit.  Question, do you actually need to have the tempo match
exactly?  If you don't E.G, your not adding any other instrumentation to
this then, I wouldn't personally worry about this too much at all.  Sure,
you could get the tempo close which, will do for making editing easier later
on.  On the other hand, I recorded some guys doing rap tunes a few years a
go.  They didn't need any tempo matching so, I just imported the tracks as
was then, they recorded the vocals over the top.

Steve wrote: There maybe a little problem as there's no tempo info with the
audio CD

Phil replied: think I may have covered this.  If not then, give me a shout.
Will be happy to help you out.

Steve wrote: Thanks in advance.

Phil replied: your very welcome!

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021
UK +44-1747-821-794
Mobile: UK +44-7968-136-246
E-mail:
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

I'm aware that what I'm about to ask maybe straight forward. Up until now,
I've recorded my tracks using midi, however, I have a project coming up
shortly where I'll be putting backing Vocals on tracks that have been sent
to me on CD.
I know how to record the audio CD into Sonar, I just haven't a clew on,
1: How to set the recorded audio to begin at bar one,
2: match the metronomes tempo with the song.

There maybe a little problem as there's no tempo info with the audio CD

Thanks in advance.
Steve W

database 4995 (20100402) __________

http://www.eset.com